AVS Forum banner

Dual GJALLARHORNs!

60K views 795 replies 79 participants last post by  lukeamdman 
#1 ·
A trip over to RMK’s place a couple days ago got the wheels turning. Long story short, two JTR Orbit Shifters, which combined is two 18” drivers and 8kw of power, gave my quad 18’s and 16kw of power a run for their money! To be more specific, I feel his setup had greater output above 30hz, and mine had greater output from the mid 20’s on down.

The efficiency of the horn design definitely impressed me, so I started to look around. It didn’t take me long to find the GJALLARGORN on Ricci’s data-bass.com. From his measurements, just one gjallarhorn will outperform all four of my sealed 5400s from 16-40hz-ish, and obviously with far less power.

The plan is two build two of these, and re-use two of the 5400s from one of my sealed cabinets. That means I’ll still have two other sealed 5400s powered by a LG clone, which can help cover the top 60-80hz portion where the gjallarhorn may need some help. The only investment for me is the cost of the wood.

Ricci already emailed me the detailed plans, so all I have to do is find 4x8 sheets of quality Baltic birch and I’ll get started:)

UPDATE:

http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/lukeamdman/media/Misc/20130826_172928_zps7a75d8b9.jpg.html

See less See more
#253 ·
I just finished ripping all the pieces to 22.625". Those 5x5 pieces are awkward. I had to bring my brother over to help cut them on the table saw.

This process should go a lot faster now.

#256 ·
Progress!

It doesn't look like you have a lot of room to work with either..between the bikes, skateboards, scooters, rakes, golf clubs, etc.

I can tell you have kids!

#258 ·
Anybody who might be reading this who has requested the prints and there have been a bunch. Too many to get to really...I am not in a position to send them out right now. Also when I get back home, I am in the middle of making some changes to further beef the bracing and improve the clarity and ease of viewing of the prints which will hopefully make them less intimidating and easier to follow. This is not something that you whip out in a couple of hours, it involves updating part files, assembly files, updating multiple configurations, making numerous print changes etc...It will probably be a few weeks still.

Looking good Luke...Let me know if you have any questions. I think you have this...It's just a lot of parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83  /t/1443947/dual-gjallarhorns/240#post_23016849

Nice work Luke, keep up the progress. I'm seriously tempted to build one of these.

Ricci - Could this design be used with a lesser driver like the SI-18 for instance with a bit less (but still ridiculous) output? I've got a few of them laying around anyway.

Nope...It's just not enough driver for this. I checked. This is the number one question I get asked about my horns is whether a cheaper driver will work and they just don't. (high displacement+high power handling+very strong motor+good inductance management=expensive.) Horns are very picky and I have posted every driver I am currently aware of that works ok in my build threads for this and the Othorn. Not saying there aren't more out there...

#263 ·
It's coming along nicely. You've got me looking into a Kreg kit. Looks like a good way to get everything square when working solo. Are you planning on filling in the holes? Probably wouldn't cause much turbulence, but if it did, you're be pretty screwed (haha) if you've glued it all together. Unless of course you have a well trained pocket monkey with a flair for wood working.

#266 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve71  /t/1443947/dual-gjallarhorns/240#post_23024764

It's coming along nicely. You've got me looking into a Kreg kit. Looks like a good way to get everything square when working solo. Are you planning on filling in the holes? Probably wouldn't cause much turbulence, but if it did, you're be pretty screwed (haha) if you've glued it all together. Unless of course you have a well trained pocket monkey with a flair for wood working.

I've been wondering if I should fill these or not as well.

Ricci, think it's needed at all?

#272 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman  /t/1443947/dual-gjallarhorns/240_80#post_23026944

Is Duratex only available online? I haven't seen it at any of the local shops.

I've never seen it locally. You could get the roll on bedliner material which is essentially the same thing. If you're after Duratex you're going to have to get it online.

#275 ·
Luke,

This is what I have went to on the bracing...Basically doubling up on everything. If you have enough left over wood maybe get some of that in there. I would concentrate on adding the extra bracing around the throat, mouth and driver to keep that panel from flexing. That seems to be the area with the most pressure.

I should be completely finished with the update to the design and prints mid next week. I'm almost done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.