post #751 of 773 Old 01-27-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

Drums kicks are so powerful they're almost painful. Your eyes squint with each kick even though you know it's coming, and your vision distorts.

Haha, that's awesome - and belongs in a signature. smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 773 Old 01-27-2014, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23

Have to agree with above statements by Luke - My fiance said she was sore after leaving your house! haha.  Awesome stuff.

post #753 of 773 Old 01-28-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Flynn View Post

Have to agree with above statements by Luke - My fiance said she was sore after leaving your house! haha.  Awesome stuff.

Few shots of Rum before you guys started might have helped...

post #754 of 773 Old 03-24-2014, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Ghorns have a couple new buddies:

Scott Simonian and LTD02 like this.

post #755 of 773 Old 03-24-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Love those CC amps. Nice purchase. smile.gif

post #756 of 773 Old 03-30-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post

DANG! All I got is this...

Dang... I just about fell over... Superman was on the tube a few days ago... priceless.

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
post #757 of 773 Old 04-01-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm a big fan of Crest. These amps have some serious power. The cc4000 soft-bottoms the 5400 and hasn't clipped yet. I've also pushed the othorns to completely ridiculous levels and can't clip the 5500.

post #758 of 773 Old 04-02-2014, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Not surprised, sir.
The Crest amps are solid. Really solid.
The old Crest 9001 was purposefully underrated by 1000 watts when it first came out.

post #759 of 773 Old 07-02-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 824
I haven't read this entire thread yet but I did get through a bunch of it skimming. Awesome build. Could you compare your system with the horns vs the sealed system and give me opinion on both after living with them ? I'm considering Ghorns (4 of them)

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #760 of 773 Old 07-02-2014, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I haven't read this entire thread yet but I did get through a bunch of it skimming. Awesome build. Could you compare your system with the horns vs the sealed system and give me opinion on both after living with them ? I'm considering Ghorns (4 of them)
Unless you are are building a system for 100% movies, I wouldn't build 4 of them.

The Ghorn is unmatched for HT, but isn't the best for music. It's best crossed at 50hz or lower. Heck, I cross mine at 26hz...

If you have room for 4 large horns, build two Ghorns and 2 Othorns like I did. I prefer the Othorns over the sealed subs for music any day of the week, and just one Ghorn was on par with four sealed 5400's from ~15-40hz.

post #761 of 773 Old 07-02-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
I prefer the Othorns over the sealed subs for music any day of the week, and just one Ghorn was on par with four sealed 5400's from ~15-40hz.

This sounds similar to what Jeff said, when he listens to music he prefers Orbit Shifter Pros. Do the Othorns have a similar frequency response to the OS pros?

post #762 of 773 Old 07-02-2014, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
This sounds similar to what Jeff said, when he listens to music he prefers Orbit Shifter Pros. Do the Othorns have a similar frequency response to the OS pros?
Both the Othorn and OS Pro require very little EQ, if any depending on the room.

OS Pro is something around a 31hz tune if I remember correctly, and the Othorn is 28hz. They both have roughly the same volume as well, but the OS is a FLH and not a tapped horn like the Othorn.

If I were to completely guess, I'd say the OS Pro would have a slight SPL advantage from 35hz and up, and the Othorn would smoke it from 25-30hz due to the lower tune.

Before I built the Othorns I was really thinking about the OS Pro instead, but the cost savings of DIY was just too much. An Othorn is less than $1k if you build it yourself!

post #763 of 773 Old 07-02-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Both the Othorn and OS Pro require very little EQ, if any depending on the room.

OS Pro is something around a 31hz tune if I remember correctly, and the Othorn is 28hz. They both have roughly the same volume as well, but the OS is a FLH and not a tapped horn like the Othorn.

If I were to completely guess, I'd say the OS Pro would have a slight SPL advantage from 35hz and up, and the Othorn would smoke it from 25-30hz due to the lower tune.

Before I built the Othorns I was really thinking about the OS Pro instead, but the cost savings of DIY was just too much. An Othorn is less than $1k if you build it yourself!
Yeah, that sounds like the ultimate music sub for sure!! I bet it beats the hell out of your chest. Wow, a grand. I wish I had your skills. Haha, not that I have a grand to spend anymore anyway....

post #764 of 773 Old 07-03-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Yeah, that sounds like the ultimate music sub for sure!! I bet it beats the hell out of your chest. Wow, a grand. I wish I had your skills. Haha, not that I have a grand to spend anymore anyway....
They're the best for music I've heard so far, but there's a lot out there I haven't heard yet!

Originally they were powered by a clone amp, and they were great. They went from great to simply amazing when I powered each with a bridged CC5500. Going from ~4,000w peak to ~4,000w continuous made a bigger difference than I thought it would.
Scott Simonian and carp like this.

post #765 of 773 Old 07-03-2014, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
They went from great to simply amazing when I powered each with a bridged CC5500. Going from ~4,000w peak to ~4,000w continuous made a bigger difference than I thought it would.
luke...could you elaborate on this a little bit for me? Not being critical, just trying to learn...thanks.

post #766 of 773 Old 07-03-2014, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post
luke...could you elaborate on this a little bit for me? Not being critical, just trying to learn...thanks.
I was able to reach some crazy SPL levels with the clone amp, but it was at the limit of the amp's output and you could hear the distortion from clipping. I was beyond just tickling the clip lights, they were on solid.

With the new amps, I could reach those same levels, but now without any clipping or distortion, and even a few DB more if I wanted.

post #767 of 773 Old 07-03-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Luke that's crazy that you were taxing the clone amps that hard as efficient as the othorn is.
post #768 of 773 Old 07-03-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 432
I thought the clones were better at bridged than stereo? What is the sensitivity of the Othorn? If you are clippig the clone you are well over 120 reaching 130 dBs and I don't know how you guys listen that loud, especially music. My ears would explode in my room at those levels continuous.
post #769 of 773 Old 07-03-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
I thought the clones were better at bridged than stereo? What is the sensitivity of the Othorn? If you are clippig the clone you are well over 120 reaching 130 dBs and I don't know how you guys listen that loud, especially music. My ears would explode in my room at those levels continuous.
Lol I thought the same thing. On some normal subs I guess clipping might be possible, but with two Ghorn and two Ohorns... mother of GOD.. that might be crazy.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #770 of 773 Old 07-04-2014, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
.. that might be crazy.
That does seem to be a contagion with some of the forum members, eh?
Mfusick likes this.

post #771 of 773 Old 07-08-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post
That does seem to be a contagion with some of the forum members, eh?
Excess wins!

-

post #772 of 773 Old 07-15-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Was it very difficult mixing the pair of Othorns with the Ghorns?

I ask because finally I found a way to build my pair of Othorns with a driver I can afford. And since I still plan on using these outdoors I figured I would only use the pair of Othorns with my outdoor cinema setup. BUT always wanting more I was curious how a pair of both would do outdoors like your indoor setup. I am way off from building any Ghorns. I could build four of the Othorns for around 2800 dollars. A single Ghorn would cost me about 1300+ because of wood prices. And thats just plain no finish. SO Othorns are cheaper but I am still curious.

Either way thanks for your opinion.

post #773 of 773 Old 07-16-2014, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
Was it very difficult mixing the pair of Othorns with the Ghorns?

I ask because finally I found a way to build my pair of Othorns with a driver I can afford. And since I still plan on using these outdoors I figured I would only use the pair of Othorns with my outdoor cinema setup. BUT always wanting more I was curious how a pair of both would do outdoors like your indoor setup. I am way off from building any Ghorns. I could build four of the Othorns for around 2800 dollars. A single Ghorn would cost me about 1300+ because of wood prices. And thats just plain no finish. SO Othorns are cheaper but I am still curious.

Either way thanks for your opinion.
Invert the polarity on the Ghorns, put a delay the Othorns of 5.3ms, and bingo! Perfect integration.

The crossover points are up to you, but I'm crossing the Ghorns at 26hz and the Othorns at 24hz, each with a 48db BW. That mostly depends on the room though.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page