Killer DIY Sub build needed!! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 141 Old 12-19-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 127
cool thanks. Its not 13 ply Baltic Birch. Its 11 ply stuff. i think they call it Russian or Asian. but your painting the cabs anyway right? Make sure you check all the panels for soft spots.

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 141 Old 12-19-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

cool thanks. Its not 13 ply Baltic Birch. Its 11 ply stuff. i think they call it Russian or Asian. but your painting the cabs anyway right? Make sure you check all the panels for soft spots.

Thanks. I am painting the cabs, so its no going to matter from a finish stand point. I just called the guy at my supply house and he said they call it import, but refer to it as BB...ugh
He told me that the next level is what I really want and I can have it for $68 per 4x8. As long as these enclosure perform, I don't care, though I will get the better stuff for the next set. Thanks for the info!
post #93 of 141 Old 12-19-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I made the same mistake before. $68 is good. That's the cheapest I've found. Haven't actually picked it up yet though so we shall see.....

But yeah, as long as it doesn't have a lot of voids and soft spots(from voids under the first layer or two) I don't see why you would have an issue but the real 13 ply is on another level of quality.

post #94 of 141 Old 12-19-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I made the same mistake before. $68 is good. That's the cheapest I've found. Haven't actually picked it up yet though so we shall see.....
But yeah, as long as it doesn't have a lot of voids and soft spots(from voids under the first layer or two) I don't see why you would have an issue but the real 13 ply is on another level of quality.

The voids I do see are verrrry few and far between. I have given the areas with any a good look and feel, and thankfully there aren't really an y soft spots. Hopefully I will get at least one cabinet assembled tonight while my wife has my daughter at drama class.biggrin.gif
post #95 of 141 Old 12-19-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Your good to go then.

post #96 of 141 Old 12-20-2012, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

some progress....not a ton, but got the bracing all put together and hopefully tonight I can finish assembly if my meeting ends early enough.

Yay, I can cut circles:D
post #97 of 141 Old 12-20-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Nice looking bracing. Did you use the router and a straight edge to construct?
post #98 of 141 Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Nice looking bracing. Did you use the router and a straight edge to construct?

Thanks! I actuall cut the outside 19.5x19.5 square with the table saw. All other cuts were done with my jigsaw believe it or not, I just took the measurements, marked em out with t square and cut away. I haven't even opened the jasper yet. I plan on mounting that up tonight and trying to get the first single finished so that I can start the second and hopefully be able to test the two single by Christmas. I have to get cooking on the DO cabs too, lots of work ahead there. I still have to cut three of them and put all four together, but I won't have all my Daytons until after Jan 8th so no big rush on those.

Is that straight polyfil in your cabs or something else??
post #99 of 141 Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Thanks! I actuall cut the outside 19.5x19.5 square with the table saw. All other cuts were done with my jigsaw believe it or not, I just took the measurements, marked em out with t square and cut away. I haven't even opened the jasper yet. I plan on mounting that up tonight and trying to get the first single finished so that I can start the second and hopefully be able to test the two single by Christmas. I have to get cooking on the DO cabs too, lots of work ahead there. I still have to cut three of them and put all four together, but I won't have all my Daytons until after Jan 8th so no big rush on those.
Is that straight polyfil in your cabs or something else??

Great work, looks awesome, especially using a jigsaw. I'm sure you will like what you hear once you fire up the first two. You're in for a lot of work for sure. Just take your time with it all, enjoy the ride and don't rush as there is no need.

My cabs have straight polyfil, around 6-6.5lbs in each.
post #100 of 141 Old 12-20-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great work, looks awesome, especially using a jigsaw. I'm sure you will like what you hear once you fire up the first two. You're in for a lot of work for sure. Just take your time with it all, enjoy the ride and don't rush as there is no need.
My cabs have straight polyfil, around 6-6.5lbs in each.[/quote/]

Thanks for the compliment and the poly info! I have to remember to slow down sometimes, as I get anxious with new porjects. I have that type of personality that can't sleep if a project is half done..a blessing and a curse.
post #101 of 141 Old 12-20-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm the same way and I sensed you are as well which is why I mentioned it. For me the most fun is during the design/build so enjoy it!

Take advice from myself and popalock that this stuff can drastically interfere with your personal lives really quickly. biggrin.gif
post #102 of 141 Old 12-20-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm the same way and I sensed you are as well which is why I mentioned it. For me the most fun is during the design/build so enjoy it!
Take advice from myself and popalock that this stuff can drastically interfere with your personal lives really quickly. biggrin.gif

Yeah, the build is fun. You almost forget what exactly you are doing and it just becomes about the small victories in making something yourself. My wife is already like, "speakers, speakers, speakers, I love my precious speakers" ...a quote of hers from last night:D

We are like a month from our house build being finished, which I am GC on now, adn are staying down the road with my parents until its done. I get home and my dad is always waiting with that look on his face that says, "another f'ing packge showed up today. My house is full of your crap!"
post #103 of 141 Old 12-20-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

Yeah, the build is fun. You almost forget what exactly you are doing and it just becomes about the small victories in making something yourself. My wife is already like, "speakers, speakers, speakers, I love my precious speakers" ...a quote of hers from last night:D
We are like a month from our house build being finished, which I am GC on now, adn are staying down the road with my parents until its done. I get home and my dad is always waiting with that look on his face that says, "another f'ing packge showed up today. My house is full of your crap!"

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate, and the motivation to get your house built sooner than later smile.gif
post #104 of 141 Old 12-20-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate, and the motivation to get your house built sooner than later smile.gif

Hahahaha..that is for sure. I am getting to the point where I "need" this house to be done. Thirty years old, wife and 10yr old daughter..living under someone else's roof just doesn't work. Funny thing is that two of my friends are building in the same neighborhood as me and they are both living with the in-laws while they wait. Just when I thought I had it tough....eek.gif
post #105 of 141 Old 12-23-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One sinlge enclosure complete, one half way built with bracing setting in PL now. Hopefully tomorrow morning I can complete cab #2 before the festivities start. I will post pics in the am.
post #106 of 141 Old 12-23-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One sinlge enclosure complete, one half way built with bracing setting in PL now. Hopefully tomorrow morning I can complete cab #2 before the festivities start. I will post pics in the am.
post #107 of 141 Old 12-26-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rough finished single cabs...got the two of them done. Tonight I will get the outer baffles done. Once I finish that, I will get the cabs prepped for paint, hopefully before the week is out.

post #108 of 141 Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, troubling news....I am 100% infected with OVERKILLITIS!!! I temporarily set two singles up and ran each one off of a channel of the CV5000, with the gains set to varying levels between 1/2 and 2/3.(was afraid to push too much with that much power on each single. I have not yet gotten an spl meter or my mic, so no measurements yet, just wanted to be sure the cabs worked well befoe taking the time to finish them. They sound VERY nice, and I applied no eq, etc. I had them set up in the front two corners of a 3kft3 room that has a stair opening in the middle of it that opens to the main level of the house. All four walls around me shook pretty good, and two levels up in the house could feel the vibrations pretty good as well. This room also has nothing but a concrete slab for a floor. I know I am twisted, because as I sit here typing, my ears still have a slight tickle in them yet I keep thinking that there is a chance I will need more than two in my family room:D. My wife and mother were both upstairs and asked how many of those will go in the theater. When I told them at least eight, they both responded with the same thing..."you jacka$$". I am happy with these, and can't wait to see what more will do in the proper room once finished. So for now, I will update the thread with the finishing of the two single cabs and once those are finished, I will continue with the DO cabinets for the theater.

I do have one question for those who are more experienced than I. When I turned the volume up or down at a fast rate, the sound of the volume clicks could be faintly heard throught the driver if you were right next to it. Anyone have any idea why that would happen?? Thanks
post #109 of 141 Old 12-29-2012, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

At the risk of getting crushed for using a terrible source.....does anyone think that I could hear the volume clicks through the subs because I was using an ipod?? I would never do any critical assesment through one, but when I needed the simplest test to asses the seal of the enclosure, it worked. I am wondering if it could have been the cause of the volume click.
post #110 of 141 Old 12-29-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

More than likely. Do you have any other sources? Then you will know for sure.

post #111 of 141 Old 12-29-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

More than likely. Do you have any other sources? Then you will know for sure.

Absolutely, just noticed it toward the end and had to run to take out my daughter, so I packed it in for the day. Now the fights are on, so there is no way I'm moving from the couch! I will hook up the oppo tomorrow and check it out to be sure, but I bet its the stupid iphone. I can't wait to finish these cabs and get a few more built!
post #112 of 141 Old 12-31-2012, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Twins!

These are still the rough cabinets of course, I just wanted to do some more listening, etc. before finishing them. This way if anything was not performing correctly due to the cabs, I could correct it before spending all the time to finish them and then have to start over. No air leaks, no vibrations that can be heard, no flexing...good news. I got the two outer baffles routered and ready to go on Saturday and then went out and stocked up on bondo and primer.

I did run a few more movie clips, and I will say that I am impressed, more so than I was initially actually. In the first Iron Man, when RD walks out of the cave in the begining in the prototype suit, with each step he takes every wall in the house shook:eek: It sounds great, and they are in a terrible room on a concrete floor, so I can only imagine what it will be like once they are in their home and set up correctly. I am psyched to get these in my family room one the house is done next month, but even more so, I can't wait to see how 8 of them handle the theater!

Also looking for a couple of opinions on amps for these two. I have the two of them running off of one channel of the CV5k bridge to 2ohm now, so they are seeing about 1250 a piece. I originally thought of doing the ep4k with mini dsp, and that is still the least expensive option, but I also have a new idea. I spoke to Nathan Funk last week about his plate amps, and I can get two, with custom programmed dsp for about double the cost of the ep/dsp combo. Now I know that it will take away some flexibility, and I will def use the CV5ks with minidsp in the theater, but the family room is a bit different. There are only two placement options in there and Nathan can do four different dsp settings for me. I know its double the cost, but the convenience factor for a first time diy'er in HT is undeniable. The reality is also that double the cost only means an extra few hundred clams. The Funk amps will put out 800w rms and about 1500 peak potential according to Nathan, so if I dial the gain back a bit, they should provide plenty of power and be very safe. Any thoughts??
post #113 of 141 Old 12-31-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I would still do the ep4k and the mini dsp. Flexibility is important IMO.

post #114 of 141 Old 12-31-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

The plate amps would be compact, cool, and different, but what flexibility do you have (if any) with the built in DSP? You will want to be able to tailor to your own room for sure.

Congrats and getting the boxes up and testing BTW.
post #115 of 141 Old 12-31-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys.

Nathan did say that if I test the subs, in the room they will go and take measurements, he could go off of that and make one of the four dsp programs tailored to the measured response. I could then, pick three alternate locations or two alternate separate locations and one co located, or any combo of three...he could program for those too.

I have no problem spending less and going with the ep/mini. I just thought that for a secondary room, and minimal effort, they offered a benefit. Do you guys think that having the programming done based on the room response will be inferior to a novice like myself having control over the dsp and ep4k??
post #116 of 141 Old 01-01-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I also forgot to update on the volume click issue...it did turn out to be ipod related, thankfully.

I ran a bunch of music through them with my mains last night and they are unbelievably capable. I was playing Drake's "The Motto", and could bounce the the cofffee table upsatirs and half way across the house:D

Also got some fantastic news to share, child number 2 is one the way!!! Happy New Year:)
post #117 of 141 Old 01-01-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also forgot to update on the volume click issue...it did turn out to be ipod related, thankfully.
I ran a bunch of music through them with my mains last night and they are unbelievably capable. I was playing Drake's "The Motto", and could bounce the the cofffee table upsatirs and half way across the house:D
Also got some fantastic news to share, child number 2 is one the way!!! Happy New Year:)

Heck yeah!

thats great. Congratulations!

post #118 of 141 Old 01-01-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Heck yeah!
thats great. Congratulations!

Thanks Brian!
post #119 of 141 Old 01-01-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been telling you guys these things are very capable. Everyone wanted to start off by ordering 8, 16 of them or whatever crazy quantities. Like I've been telling everyone try out 2-4 of them to start with and add as needed. No need to waste money. biggrin.gif

Big congrats on the kid on the way, that's awesome.
post #120 of 141 Old 01-01-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been telling you guys these things are very capable. Everyone wanted to start off by ordering 8, 16 of them or whatever crazy quantities. Like I've been telling everyone try out 2-4 of them to start with and add as needed. No need to waste money. biggrin.gif
Big congrats on the kid on the way, that's awesome.

Thanks man, we are psyched!

I am sure I will still use at least 8 of them n the theater, but two for the family room will do just fine. I have 8 here and 8 on the way, so ultimately, either sell 6 of them or have extras hangin around just in case.biggrin.gif I had them running parellel of one chanel of the CV, seeing 2500W total at 2ohm. They pounded completely naked and in a terrible room, so I can't wait to test them for real. I guess I am going to order a minidsp and ep4k to see how they do with two of them in that room. Also need a mini for the theater, so might as well order two at once. I have been sending inquiries to the minidsp folks, but haven't gotten any response. I guess that two of the balanced 2x4 boxes with plug ins will do it for both rooms..just have to buy the mic and try it out.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page