Killer DIY Sub build needed!! - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 141 Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Also on the amp front...I got a response back from mini-dsp and they suggested one of the pwr dsp amps. I can get a 800wx2 with the mini dsp built in to power both of my single 18s. Does anyone have any idea how much more efficient(energy savings, etc being considered) it may be. It certainly is more expnsive than the ep4k(of which I have one, but can sell to a friend) mini and mic combo, but if it offers no fan swap needed, less consumption, auto on/off and the differences arent just incrimental, I would spring for the extra. I am also assuming the rating of 800x2 is rms power and it will be at least as powerfull as the ep4k. If so, it offers everything that the funk amp would, plus the flexibility of the mini dsp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 141 Old 01-05-2013, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20

Boom Boom Boom

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
post #123 of 141 Old 01-06-2013, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Also on the amp front...I got a response back from mini-dsp and they suggested one of the pwr dsp amps. I can get a 800wx2 with the mini dsp built in to power both of my single 18s. Does anyone have any idea how much more efficient(energy savings, etc being considered) it may be. It certainly is more expnsive than the ep4k(of which I have one, but can sell to a friend) mini and mic combo, but if it offers no fan swap needed, less consumption, auto on/off and the differences arent just incrimental, I would spring for the extra. I am also assuming the rating of 800x2 is rms power and it will be at least as powerfull as the ep4k. If so, it offers everything that the funk amp would, plus the flexibility of the mini dsp.

Is the cost still reasonable? I'd say go for it just for something different. Everyone and their mother runs an ep4 around here, maybe you will start a new trend if the price is reasonable.
post #124 of 141 Old 01-06-2013, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I wouldn't do it for energy savings. Will take quite a while to make up the difference. Those are 8-9 hundred bucks right? But for sure different and more simple.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #125 of 141 Old 01-06-2013, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I just poked around their site and the dsp1 (2400w) appears be the same price. Is that accurate?

They are good looking amps for sure and look very similar to the speaker power amps. It would be nice for sure to have everything integrated right into the sub too. Not having two more components in the rack woud be nice.

Also in terms of efficiency - many have run 2 of these (in some cases 3) 2400w plate amps on a 20a line without an issue. They can simply produce alot more power on a standard residential line than the pro amps like my crown that are only like 50-60% efficient.

Just something to consider. smile.gif
post #126 of 141 Old 01-06-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post

Boom Boom Boom

I've got a couple of those myself: using them in the HT room. Awesome amps for sure, they put out some serious power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

I just poked around their site and the dsp1 (2400w) appears be the same price. Is that accurate?
They are good looking amps for sure and look very similar to the speaker power amps. It would be nice for sure to have everything integrated right into the sub too. Not having two more components in the rack woud be nice.
Also in terms of efficiency - many have run 2 of these (in some cases 3) 2400w plate amps on a 20a line without an issue. They can simply produce alot more power on a standard residential line than the pro amps like my crown that are only like 50-60% efficient.
Just something to consider. smile.gif

I am thinking that too. I have taken the sub designs from you, seos design in part from many, and it would be nice to introduce a different element into the equation. The problem is that the pwrdsp1 is 2400w at 4ohm and I have two four ohm drivers to power with it. I'm looking at 8 or 2ohm operation, which doesn't work for it. The pwr2 is 800w contiuous x2, which is low for my application with the two singles. I am going to ask the folks at mini if the amp is stable at 2ohm...I assume they would have put it on the sit eif it was, but will check anyway. I deff don't want to settle on 800w per driver. I know we are only talking 1.5db different, but 1.5 here, 1.5 there, I think it adds up. It leaves me wondering once again.
post #127 of 141 Old 01-06-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll tell ya what, this has me thinking again about the Funk Audio Amps. I can get two of the 1500w models for the same price basically, and have Nathan program 4 dsp settings. If none of the work optimally, defeat the dsp in his amps and eq with the minidsp.
post #128 of 141 Old 01-09-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bondo..jsut a quick shot of one of them sanded down. I think I am going to do one more light coat in a couple of "trouble" areas before priming. Nothing crazy to fill, just want the prime and duratex to lay nice. I should have the Duratex by Friday, so hopefully by the end of the weekend I will be done with these two so I can start on the dual opposed boxes and my Seos enclosures.

post #129 of 141 Old 01-09-2013, 05:01 PM

Liked: 17
That car looks way too nice to not be covered. Oh and nice job on the build.
post #130 of 141 Old 01-10-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULLY12 View Post

That car looks way too nice to not be covered. Oh and nice job on the build.

Hahaha..thanks. Its a 29 model street rod. It was a nice car, but is about to get overhauled again, hence the lack of protection in the work area. I have to get that project started in the next month or so.
post #131 of 141 Old 01-10-2013, 10:00 AM

Liked: 17
Funny. I paint and airbrush so i always notice that kinda stuff. Cant wait to see the new theater. just think you would have never been building such bad ass subs if ED would have came through. But for some reason I think you are coming out way ahead. cant wait to ditch my ED and build my diys.
post #132 of 141 Old 01-10-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULLY12 View Post

Funny. I paint and airbrush so i always notice that kinda stuff. Cant wait to see the new theater. just think you would have never been building such bad ass subs if ED would have came through. But for some reason I think you are coming out way ahead. cant wait to ditch my ED and build my diys.

I know, its crazy that I even got my $$ back from them. I can't even imagine how frustrated I would be if I got their stuff and then saw all this a couple omonths later. I can't wait to finish everything up. I saw Andrew post that his Seos stuff is packaged so hopefully mine is too and I can get started on them.
post #133 of 141 Old 01-14-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Two coats Duratex done..my first experience with it, love the stuff!! It seems to last forever too. I think I may get a third coat on, sand it and then apply a fourth, smooth coat. Anyone doen anything like that??
post #134 of 141 Old 01-14-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Two coats Duratex done..my first experience with it, love the stuff!! It seems to last forever too. I think I may get a third coat on, sand it and then apply a fourth, smooth coat. Anyone doen anything like that??
post #135 of 141 Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

LOL, we are on the same step smile.gif I have two coats of Duratex on mine as well, and did some light sanding yesterday. I am going to apply the third coat and then just go from there, but it sure seems like 4 coats to me to get the look I want. I am going with a smoother look with just minimal texture.

It is amazing how far a gallon of this stuff can go. I could easily finish like 12 subs, and that is doing 4 coats!
post #136 of 141 Old 01-14-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

What type of roller are you guys using? I used a textured roller and after a second moderate coat I had a pretty thick texture and no real need for any additional coats. I also don't think they recommend sanding between sets like traditional paint - I remember asking that before.

I agree a gallon goes a LONG way. I did 4 DO subs with 2-3 thick coats and still have 1/3 of the bucket left. I'm hoping I can do my LCR with the remaining but may order an extra gallon just in case or for use with my surround build later on.
post #137 of 141 Old 01-14-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What type of roller are you guys using? I used a textured roller and after a second moderate coat I had a pretty thick texture and no real need for any additional coats. I also don't think they recommend sanding between sets like traditional paint - I remember asking that before.

I agree a gallon goes a LONG way. I did 4 DO subs with 2-3 thick coats and still have 1/3 of the bucket left. I'm hoping I can do my LCR with the remaining but may order an extra gallon just in case or for use with my surround build later on.

I am using an ultra smooth 4" foam roller. This is a pic from bigmouthindc's speakers he coated with Duratex using a smooth 4" roller and sanded between coats. I want a little more texture on my subs than what you see in this pic, but mine should be pretty close to this when they are done:

That said, I thought yours turned out awesome. You have a few close up shots of the texture and it really looks nice.
post #138 of 141 Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried the smooth roller approach at first but found I preferred the textured look. cool.gif It's nice that you can get different finishes based on the type of roller used. Get some pictures up when you get it done!

I really like using this stuff too. I just ordered another gallon for my current LCR build and future stuff. Eventually I'm going to build out boxes for my SI drivers too and I'll need it. smile.gif
post #139 of 141 Old 01-14-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried the smooth roller approach at first but found I preferred the textured look. cool.gif It's nice that you can get different finishes based on the type of roller used. Get some pictures up when you get it done!

Yes, Duratex is really impressive. Very easy to get different looks and it applies really easy. I was orginally thinking a more textured look but my wife preferred the less textured. We are probably meeting somewhere in the middle smile.gif I will be posting pics soon. My good camera is broken, so I am stuck with iPhone 4S pics right now which don't really do any justice.

Chopshop, I would really like to see some closeups from yours as well when you are done.
post #140 of 141 Old 01-14-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have been using the 4" textured roller. Not really a need for 4 coats, my two coats woulc suffice if staying textured. I spoke to the folks that sell it and they said it could be sanded im between coats, depending on the desired look/texture. The only reason I am looking at 4 coats was due to the idea of sanding it down. I will likely try some 500grit paper by hand on the bottom first, see how it looks with the smooth roller and then decide.

Ack, I will be sure to grab some close-ups tonight.
post #141 of 141 Old 01-15-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

close ups, per ack's request..disclaimer, they are still in need of one more coat and the cell pics aren't great, sorry

First grill all cut out and routered..
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page