Crown XLS Drivecore amps & subsonic content (v. we have a problem Houston?) - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

Old 01-03-2014, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm sorry but you're just wrong. There is a filter in the xls1500 I believe but it is somewhere between 10 and 15hz, nowhere near 100hz and barely audible...more tactile. . If you search my posts I put up a graph comparing the xls1500 to the peavey ipr27500 and the difference was down low. The xls sounded great driving sealed subs except for the ULF roloff. They sound great driving the mains.

(3) JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR)
(2) JTR Single 8 (wides)
(2) JTR Slanted 8 (sides)
(2) DIY Eminence 10" coax (rear Surrounds)
(2) JTR Orbit Shifters
(2) Mach5 UXL-18's sealed
(2) Soundsplinter 15's sealed
Speakers powered by 6 crown xls 1500's
UXL's powered by Peavey IPR-7500

My theater:
http://www.avs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2015, 10:08 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1673 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Old 11-14-2015, 10:11 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1673 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Old 12-21-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
I have a couple CT4150s and a CT875 that I have used in my home theater. Used them when I was running my front L/C/R active.

I used the CT875 on BMS coaxial compression drivers with the gains turned down and the CT4150s on the woofers.

These are great amplifiers.

Classifieds:
FS: JTR 212s & 228
Old 12-21-2015, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
I have a couple CT4150s and a CT875 that I have used in my home theater. Used them when I was running my front L/C/R active.

I used the CT875 on BMS coaxial compression drivers with the gains turned down and the CT4150s on the woofers.

These are great amplifiers.
That's great info. Was going to take a chance and get a CT8150, but decided to spend half the money on a CT4150 just to try it out. Figured If I like it I'll just get another CT4150.

Mine arrives some time today.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I need a subsonic filter for my Crown XLS DriveCore 1500, to avoid the ultra-low impedance/protection issues when signal drops below the 20Hz threshold, but not one of those RCA FMOD types, because I need to keep the signal balanced, via XLR.

Is there a less expensive option besides the DBX DriveRack PA for adding balanced subsonic filtering to my rig? Adjustable frequency with a 24dB slope would be preferred, thanks.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3973 Post(s)
Liked: 3880
Quote:
Originally Posted by motochrome View Post
I need a subsonic filter for my Crown XLS DriveCore 1500, to avoid the ultra-low impedance/protection issues when signal drops below the 20Hz threshold, but not one of those RCA FMOD types, because I need to keep the signal balanced, via XLR.

Is there a less expensive option besides the DBX DriveRack PA for adding balanced subsonic filtering to my rig? Adjustable frequency with a 24dB slope would be preferred, thanks.
Balanced miniDSP 2x4 would be one....
motochrome likes this.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Balanced miniDSP 2x4 would be one....
Oh wow, didn't know that was the actual name of a product! I've seen that "term" thrown around here a lot, and always just thought it was a generic term to go get a digital signal processor.

I was checking out their site, but can't see what platform that software runs on - does it work with Apple Mac computers?

Seems like a strange way to "digitally process" my signal, but I guess my age is showing. Looks like I'll need to cut some XLR cables in half to screw the leads into those little terminals too.

Right now, I'm using the HPF on the input channel of my digital mixer, which only gives me a 12dB high-pass slope, and for some reason they didn't put HPF's on the mixer's outputs, only the inputs. I wanted something more solid, just in case I forget to press that button one day, while routing something with ultra-low bass through it. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it, as long as it runs on Macs.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Oh wow, didn't know that was the actual name of a product! I've seen that "term" thrown around here a lot, and always just thought it was a generic term to go get a digital signal processor.

I was checking out their site, but can't see what platform that software runs on - does it work with Apple Mac computers?

Seems like a strange way to "digitally process" my signal, but I guess my age is showing. Looks like I'll need to cut some XLR cables in half to screw the leads into those little terminals too.

Right now, I'm using the HPF on the input channel of my digital mixer, which only gives me a 12dB high-pass slope, and for some reason they didn't put HPF's on the mixer's outputs, only the inputs. I wanted something more solid, just in case I forget to press that button one day, while routing something with ultra-low bass through it. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it, as long as it runs on Macs.
I just made some xlr cables for mine but am a pc/android guy and dont pay attention to apple stuff but think the had both platforms....check out the plug-ins (software dl needed for your application).
motochrome likes this.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I just made some xlr cables for mine but am a pc/android guy and dont pay attention to apple stuff but think the had both platforms....check out the plug-ins (software dl needed for your application).
I went "old-school" and ordered the DBX DriveRack PA+, since it's been discontinued and blown out for $219 w/free shipping. That MINI DSP looks kind of powerful, but I prefer "real" XLR connections and more physical knobs and screen. I also despise wall-wart power supplies, and prefer IEC cables. I didn't want to register online and deal with all that either. I'm sure it's cool, but I'd like to more easily mount it securely in my rack.

One big factor, was to keep my rig 100% "Pro Audio" as opposed to introducing one piece of the Home Theater variety. I realize it's got balanced connections, but I'm really not into tiny screw-terminals. Thanks for the suggestion, just not my style.
lovinthehd likes this.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 136
^ I agree and as functional as they are, I won't own a miniDSP simply b/c it can't be changed without a PC.

Can you be specific on how you're putting the Crown in "protect mode?"

I've heard this before obviously, but never had the problem running my XLS1500 2ohm. Admittedly I've never run sweeps to clipping but I have clipped it quite a bit on movies & music. I want to try and make mine do it.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post
^ I agree and as functional as they are, I won't own a miniDSP simply b/c it can't be changed without a PC.

Can you be specific on how you're putting the Crown in "protect mode?"

I've heard this before obviously, but never had the problem running my XLS1500 2ohm. Admittedly I've never run sweeps to clipping but I have clipped it quite a bit on movies & music. I want to try and make mine do it.
The first post in this thread describes the phenomenon well. I began watching some alien movie, with LFE information below 10Hz (from what I've read here) and my Crown amp instantly went into protection mode and shut down for a second. I think the consensus is that the impedance of the load drops below 2Ω when the frequencies go that low, which trips the amp up.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I went "old-school" and ordered the DBX DriveRack PA+, since it's been discontinued and blown out for $219 w/free shipping. That MINI DSP looks kind of powerful, but I prefer "real" XLR connections and more physical knobs and screen. I also despise wall-wart power supplies, and prefer IEC cables. I didn't want to register online and deal with all that either. I'm sure it's cool, but I'd like to more easily mount it securely in my rack.

One big factor, was to keep my rig 100% "Pro Audio" as opposed to introducing one piece of the Home Theater variety. I realize it's got balanced connections, but I'm really not into tiny screw-terminals. Thanks for the suggestion, just not my style.
You wanted less expensive.....plus not everyone wants another rack space for something like this (or even not get the kit and just get the board and build it into your own device).

As to control of a minidsp via only pc that doesn't appear to be the case https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mini...0204?ls=1&mt=8
Old 02-21-2016, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
You wanted less expensive.....plus not everyone wants another rack space for something like this (or even not get the kit and just get the board and build it into your own device).

As to control of a minidsp via only pc that doesn't appear to be the case https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mini...0204?ls=1&mt=8
That's pretty cool. Now if they'd just make it for android, I'd pick one up.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post
That's pretty cool. Now if they'd just make it for android, I'd pick one up.
Like this one? https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...inidsp.minidsp
Old 02-21-2016, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I don't think that app would do what you would want it to do. Looks like it's a basic remote control for the DL units and not an interface for editing plugin settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2016, 11:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schacht View Post
I don't think that app would do what you would want it to do. Looks like it's a basic remote control for the DL units and not an interface for editing plugin settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Might be a sign of things to come down the line.....would be nice if I could adjust the 2x4 without a hardwire connection, tho.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Might be a sign of things to come down the line.....would be nice if I could adjust the 2x4 without a hardwire connection, tho.
Not sure how that would be possible... the MiniDSP does not natively have any kind of wireless/blutooth connection that would allow you to program WITHOUT a hardwired connection.

Me I'm set if I need one as I have a HTPC in that setup I could just leave it connected to 24/7 for both power and programming as needed.

Plus it would drive the cost up for something I dont see the benefit from.

If you want all the spiffy stuff buy the ones with it. The MiniDSP is a get it tweaked, set and forget type device IMHO.

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

Old 02-22-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Not sure how that would be possible... the MiniDSP does not natively have any kind of wireless/blutooth connection that would allow you to program WITHOUT a hardwired connection.

Me I'm set if I need one as I have a HTPC in that setup I could just leave it connected to 24/7 for both power and programming as needed.

Plus it would drive the cost up for something I dont see the benefit from.

If you want all the spiffy stuff buy the ones with it. The MiniDSP is a get it tweaked, set and forget type device IMHO.
True as regards current versions, but it would be nice to change curves without plugging in again. I can easily plug my laptop in again easily enough, though. YMMV.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Can someone please enlighten me on the real world noise floor on the xls 1500?

I have normal HIFI speakers with a bit below 90db 1w sensitivity. I plan on using the RCA connector and the low sensitivity (1.4V). I have a Yamaha 2040 and its very silent on the internal amps and I would like it to stay that way. Thats my reason for asking.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splotten View Post
Can someone please enlighten me on the real world noise floor on the xls 1500?

I have normal HIFI speakers with a bit below 90db 1w sensitivity. I plan on using the RCA connector and the low sensitivity (1.4V). I have a Yamaha 2040 and its very silent on the internal amps and I would like it to stay that way. Thats my reason for asking.

Might get some hiss with your ear up to the tweeter....I did with the 87-90dB speakers I've used with an avr and a pre-amp (only a 2ch pre-amp with 90dB speakers at the moment) but YMMV. There's no adjustable sensitivity on the XLS1500, though; hopefully your Yamaha has sufficient output voltage.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
True as regards current versions, but it would be nice to change curves without plugging in again. I can easily plug my laptop in again easily enough, though. YMMV.
I think the issue you run into there is that you now need to add more parts which add to the cost... Eventually you get to where your starting to compete with the SMS-1, Antimod 8033, etc...

While being able to custom run a EQ is nice, eventually you overbuild it and drive folks away....

Heck lots of DIY guys are buying iNukes JUST because it lets them remove the MiniDSP.... so I think they are priced just about right for the features and adding more would be a problem.

If you have a 2x4 with 2 subs, you CAN run 2 diff EQ's... just your 2 inputs and one output on each side apply a diff EQ curve... Then just switch outputs....

But I see the Nano and their integration with DIRAC being where they really start putting focus on, or integration directly with a plate amp for sub duties...

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

Old 02-22-2016, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
I think the issue you run into there is that you now need to add more parts which add to the cost... Eventually you get to where your starting to compete with the SMS-1, Antimod 8033, etc...

While being able to custom run a EQ is nice, eventually you overbuild it and drive folks away....

Heck lots of DIY guys are buying iNukes JUST because it lets them remove the MiniDSP.... so I think they are priced just about right for the features and adding more would be a problem.

If you have a 2x4 with 2 subs, you CAN run 2 diff EQ's... just your 2 inputs and one output on each side apply a diff EQ curve... Then just switch outputs....

But I see the Nano and their integration with DIRAC being where they really start putting focus on, or integration directly with a plate amp for sub duties...
Maybe just an avenue for a different product, rather than load up an existing one with new features. We do like to control everything from our remotes, don't we? Not a bad idea if you're only using one input at a time on your 2x4, though.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:

I did want less expensive, because the DriveRacks are usually around $350 or so, but I found the PA+ being blown-out, since it's been discontinued, for $219 shipped, so I jumped on it and it met the qualification for being less expensive. I appreciate your suggestion, but being able to change parameters on the fly with its screen and physical knobs is something I really like. I also really like the XLR I/O on the back.

I didn't think I wanted another rack-unit, because my rack was full, but I was able to mount the Furman power conditioner on the rear rails, behind everything, and the rack is deep enough to still be able to access all the connections and plugs. It really worked out well.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Might get some hiss with your ear up to the tweeter....I did with the 87-90dB speakers I've used with an avr and a pre-amp (only a 2ch pre-amp with 90dB speakers at the moment) but YMMV. There's no adjustable sensitivity on the XLS1500, though; hopefully your Yamaha has sufficient output voltage.
Thanks. It does say in the manual that there is a setting for 0.77v sensitivity. I assume that setting will increase the noise floor a bit? The 2040 delivers 1.4v at 0db MV with trims at 0db, EQ off and with a 0dbfs test signal.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks. It does say in the manual that there is a setting for 0.77v sensitivity. I assume that setting will increase the noise floor a bit? The 2040 delivers 1.4v at 0db MV with trims at 0db, EQ off and with a 0dbfs test signal.
It's the XLS1502 that has the adjustability, not the 1500.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's the XLS1502 that has the adjustability, not the 1500.
Oh, I see. Didn't notice the difference. 1.4V sensitivity should be fine. I was just worried about audible hiss from the tweeters. Someone on an other forum commented that he had some hiss but I had a "funny" feeling about that post, so I wanted a second opinion.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Oh, I see. Didn't notice the difference. 1.4V sensitivity should be fine. I was just worried about audible hiss from the tweeters. Someone on an other forum commented that he had some hiss but I had a "funny" feeling about that post, so I wanted a second opinion.
I'll testify that I get NO hiss whatsoever, none, but I am running 1.4V (+4dBu) across every connection on my 1st gen XLS1500. This is with the amp's potentiometers pegged all the way up. I remember some old JBL EON powered speakers that had at least 60dB of hiss, no matter what - I hated that.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I've tested my XLS2000 on some high sensitivity CD's and coax CD's and they are very quiet. On 90db speakers you will have zero hiss.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

OK. Thanks guys. Sounds good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

taboola here