Crown XLS Drivecore amps & subsonic content (v. we have a problem Houston?) - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #121 of 145 Old 02-23-2016, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4783
Quote:
Originally Posted by splotten View Post
Oh, I see. Didn't notice the difference. 1.4V sensitivity should be fine. I was just worried about audible hiss from the tweeters. Someone on an other forum commented that he had some hiss but I had a "funny" feeling about that post, so I wanted a second opinion.
By most reports you should be fine as long as you have sufficient pre-out level. If you find your avr doesn't have sufficient signal you could try a line level booster but that in itself could add noise, too. Are you worried about hiss that might exist by putting your ear to the speaker? Or at a particular distance? Biggest complaint about hiss I can think of was blazar's with his ultra high sensitivity speakers (like 108dB or better IIRC) in a very quiet room, he ended up finding only one or two amps that satisfied his quest for the least noise. The other major difference with the 1500 vs 1502 is the aesthetics of the case so you might make sure which amp you're considering in that respect, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 145 Old 02-23-2016, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by splotten View Post
OK. Thanks guys. Sounds good
I might have accidentally lied a little. I just put my ear right up to my horn, and I do hear a little bit of hiss. I just never noticed it before from my listening position, because I never put my ear right up to the horn, like I just did - to double check for you. Yes, there is some slight hiss, without the central air on, and when it's dead quiet, very little, but it's a nice, soothing hiss. Sorry for the misconception earlier. It isn't as "dead quiet" as I implied. My bad. I want to say it's very minimal though, and doesn't detract - keep in mind my amp's knobs are PEGGED all the way up.
post #123 of 145 Old 02-25-2016, 02:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 138
OK. Thank you for taking your time. Much appreciated. Guess I just have to try it out then.

post #124 of 145 Old 02-26-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 1516
I just did power output testing on a XLS 2500 at 40hz, 20hz, 10hz, and 5hz.

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.p...r-tests/page-1

The frequency response did exhibit more LF roll-off than my Crest CC amps and the SeakerPower SP-12K, but it wasn't significant. I'll post some graphs of that later tonight.
andyc56 likes this.
post #125 of 145 Old 02-27-2016, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #126 of 145 Old 03-01-2016, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
Compared to a CC5500, the XLS is down 1db at 10hz and 4db at 5hz:

That kind of makes the claims that the XLS plummets at 20hz rather invalid. For nearly all purposes it is the same response just so long as we aren't chasing single digit frequencies.
post #127 of 145 Old 03-01-2016, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms View Post
That kind of makes the claims that the XLS plummets at 20hz rather invalid. For nearly all purposes it is the same response just so long as we aren't chasing single digit frequencies.

Yeah after measuring it I don't see how a built in 20hz HPF would be explained, but I'm all ears.

It also maintains some pretty solid power down to 10hz, but I wouldn't expect much at 5hz
uniquepattern likes this.
post #128 of 145 Old 03-01-2016, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Wow, im actually pretty impressed by those measurements on that crown
lukeamdman likes this.
post #129 of 145 Old 03-02-2016, 02:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 60
How does the XLS 202 and 402 compare to the later models like the XLS 1500 series? Are the XLS 202 and particularly the 402 just as good as the newer serious?
post #130 of 145 Old 03-02-2016, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
Yeah after measuring it I don't see how a built in 20hz HPF would be explained, but I'm all ears.

It also maintains some pretty solid power down to 10hz, but I wouldn't expect much at 5hz
It can be explained because Crown said all their amps had 20Hz HPFs--but the measurements did not follow what Crown claimed on their own site forums. I own a Crown XTi 1002 and have no idea what it does, then again, I don't use it for subwoofers. One of these days I'll measure it out to figure it out since Harmon has nothing for actual usable specifications.
post #131 of 145 Old 03-02-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip24/96 View Post
How does the XLS 202 and 402 compare to the later models like the XLS 1500 series? Are the XLS 202 and particularly the 402 just as good as the newer serious?
You mean the older XLS series? IIRC that was class A/B vs the newer class D XLS. Then there's this China-only current XLS 202/402.
post #132 of 145 Old 03-03-2016, 01:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
You mean the older XLS series? IIRC that was class A/B vs the newer class D XLS. Then there's this China-only current XLS 202/402.
I am honestly not sure, but I would assume that it is the old XLS series. The reason that I ask is because one of my local pawn shops has an XLS-402 for like $99 and I was thinking of picking it up to bridge and power my center speaker (88 Special). Does that seem like a good deal? Does this old XLS 402 work ok for powering something like my 88 Special?
post #133 of 145 Old 03-03-2016, 02:21 AM

Quote:
I am honestly not sure, but I would assume that it is the old XLS series. The reason that I ask is because one of my local pawn shops has an XLS-402 for like $99 and I was thinking of picking it up to bridge and power my center speaker (88 Special). Does that seem like a good deal? Does this old XLS 402 work ok for powering something like my 88 Special?
I've read nice things about the older XLS amps but no experience....seems to me I read fan noise may be a consideration with them, tho. I looked at the china-only XLS series, that may be the older series....seems to be same model numbers at least. http://rdn.harmanpro.com/product_doc...t_original.pdf
post #134 of 145 Old 03-03-2016, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I just completed my first foray into DIY Subwoofers. I'm running an SI HST18 on a Crown XLS2502. I have no minidsp and simply ran it through the Audyssey X32 on my Marantz receiver. I "level matched" it fairly close to my existing Rythmik 15" sealed sub. The bass sounds great for my ears. I got a good headache after 20 minutes of Mad Max, Fury Road!

My questions:
1. I'm running the amp bridged and it lands about 8 out of 10 on the level spectrum. Any danger running 10 out of 10?!

2. How much sound quality improvement from running in through a minidsp?

Main Speakers: Revel F208's. Center: C208
SUB#1: Rhythmik F15HP. SUB#2: Stereo Integrity HST18 w/ Crown XLS2502
Marantz SR7009, Emotiva XPA-5
Projector: Sony HW55-ES, Carada 134" screen
post #135 of 145 Old 03-03-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmoore2 View Post
My questions:
1. I'm running the amp bridged and it lands about 8 out of 10 on the level spectrum. Any danger running 10 out of 10?!
Not sure, I wouldnt think so, since I think thats the point of the clip limiters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmoore2 View Post
2. How much sound quality improvement from running in through a minidsp?
Depends on how bad your room is and if you want to add a house curve. The MiniDSP would allow you to custom EQ the lower end and add boosts, cuts, etc if needed to help out where the AVR calibration cant.

The MiniDSP can also be used to run Linkwitz transforms which can help level out your response in a sealed sub (at the cost of a LOT of wattage)...... But again, the MiniDSP lets you do a LOT more with EQ than just a set and forget type deal.

My Setup | FS: Salamander Synergy 303, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Sanus UF22 Speaker Stands, Nintendo Wii, 5 channel Polk LSi system (all threads here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #136 of 145 Old 03-04-2016, 02:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
I've read nice things about the older XLS amps but no experience....seems to me I read fan noise may be a consideration with them, tho. I looked at the china-only XLS series, that may be the older series....seems to be same model numbers at least. http://rdn.harmanpro.com/product_doc...t_original.pdf
Thanks for the reply. How would the XLS 1500 (with a MiniDsp for EQ) work for powering something like a center or left and right channels, versus like an iNukexxxxdsp?
post #137 of 145 Old 03-04-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. How would the XLS 1500 (with a MiniDsp for EQ) work for powering something like a center or left and right channels, versus like an iNukexxxxdsp?
I haven't used an iNuke amp yet but the dsp capabilities I think would be similar....altho you could get a single minidsp unit vs multiple amps. iNuke fan noise could be a consideration...
post #138 of 145 Old 03-04-2016, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
I can't speak to the "vs. iNuke" part but I use XLS 2000's for L/C/R and I love them. Low noise floor, plenty of power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1140.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1293953  
post #139 of 145 Old 01-24-2017, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd918 View Post
I can't speak to the "vs. iNuke" part but I use XLS 2000's for L/C/R and I love them. Low noise floor, plenty of power.
Hello, some inquiries:

I just hooked an XLS1500 to a Pioneer SC 85 for front power. However, the MCAAC (Pioneer´s calibrator) sets a really low volume, forcing me to set the XLS to almost 75% level. In the end, I do get really good sound, but I was expecting to set the XLS to a 50% level tops, leaving me space to increase the gain when listening to 2 channel music.

So, am I doing something wrong? Should I used the receiver´s internal amps to calibrate and then hook it to the XLS? Is the problem being caused by the 2.5 Volts input voltage (really high) the XLS requires?

Anyone, please?
post #140 of 145 Old 01-24-2017, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post
Hello, some inquiries:

I just hooked an XLS1500 to a Pioneer SC 85 for front power. However, the MCAAC (Pioneer´s calibrator) sets a really low volume, forcing me to set the XLS to almost 75% level. In the end, I do get really good sound, but I was expecting to set the XLS to a 50% level tops, leaving me space to increase the gain when listening to 2 channel music.

So, am I doing something wrong? Should I used the receiver´s internal amps to calibrate and then hook it to the XLS? Is the problem being caused by the 2.5 Volts input voltage (really high) the XLS requires?

Anyone, please?
How low did MCACC set the channel levels? Turn the channel levels up in the Pioneer interface and turn the amp gain down. Or turn the amp gain down and re-run MCACC, it should re-calibrate with the channel levels higher so you don't have to adjust manually. Ideally you'd have the AVR channel levels and the amp sitting "in the middle" which gives plenty of headroom on both the AVR and amp.
post #141 of 145 Old 01-24-2017, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgunning View Post
How low did MCACC set the channel levels? Turn the channel levels up in the Pioneer interface and turn the amp gain down. Or turn the amp gain down and re-run MCACC, it should re-calibrate with the channel levels higher so you don't have to adjust manually. Ideally you'd have the AVR channel levels and the amp sitting "in the middle" which gives plenty of headroom on both the AVR and amp.
Actually, it sets the fronts in +12, which is extremely high, as the volume it makes the XLS output is really low even if the gain is at 50%. That´s why I have to set the XLS at 75% and then the MCAAC sets the volume at +8.5, still high (center and surrounds are set at +1.5, tops) but at least it allows me some space for more gain.

I have recalibrated many times, but still the problem persists (not a dealbreaker, as I get really great sound, Pioneer and Crown really make a good pairing, if not for this MCAAC problem).

I have tested the Crown with my turntable and it gets really, really loud, with undistorted, clear and dynamic sound. Maybe it´s just the MCAAC that doesn´t like external amps.
post #142 of 145 Old 01-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post
Actually, it sets the fronts in +12, which is extremely high, as the volume it makes the XLS output is really low even if the gain is at 50%. That´s why I have to set the XLS at 75% and then the MCAAC sets the volume at +8.5, still high (center and surrounds are set at +1.5, tops) but at least it allows me some space for more gain.

I have recalibrated many times, but still the problem persists (not a dealbreaker, as I get really great sound, Pioneer and Crown really make a good pairing, if not for this MCAAC problem).

I have tested the Crown with my turntable and it gets really, really loud, with undistorted, clear and dynamic sound. Maybe it´s just the MCAAC that doesn´t like external amps.
Just food for though, home hifi amplifiers that have no gain knobs would be exactly the same as the xls at 100% on the gain as they are actually not gain controls at all. they are attenuation controls. so 100% is really just no attenuation to the incoming signal. Nothing wrong with having them way up. Turning them down only helps if you have noise somewhere in the signal chain that the amp is then in turn amplifying.
JohnDean and uniquepattern like this.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #143 of 145 Old 01-24-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
Just food for though, home hifi amplifiers that have no gain knobs would be exactly the same as the xls at 100% on the gain as they are actually not gain controls at all. they are attenuation controls. so 100% is really just no attenuation to the incoming signal. Nothing wrong with having them way up. Turning them down only helps if you have noise somewhere in the signal chain that the amp is then in turn amplifying.
^^^ This.
post #144 of 145 Old 05-03-2017, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 227
http://www.ekoideas.com.my/product/a...wer-amplifier/
Is Amcron a legal clone of Crown?
post #145 of 145 Old 05-05-2017, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
Is Amcron a legal clone of Crown?
Amcron *is* Crown:

CROWN Founded in 1947 as the International Radio and Electronics Corporation (IREC) by Indiana minister Clarence C. Moore and wife, Ruby. The name was changed to Crown International in the 1960s when suggested by Ruby, based on their popular tape recorders, "Royal" and "Imperial," with their distinctive crown emblem. This also ended exporting disputes over the "'Royal" and "Imperial" brands. Later on, similar disputes created the use of the registered brand name Amcron (acronym for American Crown).

http://www.aes.org/par/pronames/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page