post #91 of 93 Old 09-30-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post

Here is to the person who said Weight vs performance is another whole thread lol.

2000 va toroid 14.65 kgs
1200 va toroid 10 kgs
1000 va toroid 8.8 Kgs.

It is a matter of fact that weight is directly proportional to power supply output in these high output unregulated designs.
So there it is in a nutshell in only one post, not a whole thread!!.
I found a 2000 va toroid for 299.00 It was 7.5 inch wide, 3.7 inch high and weighed 14.65kg.

How much you want to bet you measure the toroids and find the cv 5000 with the biggest , the older marathon ma 5050 with the next biggest, and the newer marathon ma 5050 with the smallest!!!. You need a 2000 va toroid to produce 1000 watts rms.

Or is that a whole new thread?

It is "another whole THREAD". You are being a bit myopic in this case since you just basically stated "unregulated rectifier". Furthermore it is being used with a class H amp. The CV5000, by any means, is not a bad amplifier design. However, it is OLD. When it was designed it probably was the correct engineering choice. But that was A LONG time ago.

There are better ways, that are MUCH MORE cost effective and reliable to produce power in the kW range for audio that doesn't weigh 50+ lbs. Modern silicon makes class D arguably the best choice since losses are pretty much a non-factor. There is no significant benefit for multiple rails anymore...at least not for what it costs in complexity.

Is there a place for class H amps, yes, but it isn't in PA amplifiers.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 93 Old 09-30-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post

Is there a place for class H amps, yes, but it isn't in PA amplifiers.

Class G/H was pretty innovative for high power PA amplifiers in the day, compared to one fixed rail voltage. I do agree the benefit of those rail switching systems have been eclipsed by switching amps.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #93 of 93 Old 09-30-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

And peak power, music power, peak music power, or any of the other spurious terms used to artificially inflate power ratings aren't? 'RMS watts' may not be a technically correct term, but it's still the best method of comparison devoid of advertising BS.

My point was only why I believe pro audio companies tend not to use the terms "RMS watts" or "watts RMS" in their descriptors, which we agree, is not technically correct.

The good ones, instead, spell out the load, power, frequency range, and percent distortion to qualify the rating. Ratings that leave out any of those details are suspect. Some may even include whether they're FTC method or EIA or DIN (IEC?) methods (as likely you know).

Service manuals for some old Yamaha consumer amps I have list the ratings under all those various methods.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page