Originally Posted by carp
Kevin, that looks awesome!! It looks like you built it at work? I can't wait to hear it. I hope you get the vibration issue figured out, but either way it sounds like it's not a major problem.
Thanks sir, I did build it at work. When I asked the boss if I could use our space to build a "speaker box" I'm not sure if he knew what he was getting himself into... I haven't got it into the apartment yet, but the output is definitely for real and I have high hopes about the SQ.
Originally Posted by Gorilla83
Get it in your theater and enjoy it! That is a bizarre 'issue' but if you're not hearing or measuring it then ? The mounting surface thickness should definitely not be an issue. I've also found the stock gaskets to work great as well. I considered adding additional bracing but my box has ZERO noticeable flex or vibration as is up to my 100hz crossover point. Perhaps if some part of the outer baffle is loose the extra bracing would help out. If I were to build more boxes I would throw in a few vertical dowels just because though.
Merry Christmas Mr Smithers.
a job well done. Go enjoy it! Then build another.
Thank you for all your help. As someone who'd never turned on a router before I learned a ton and you were an amazing amount of help. I think I'll try to get some panel to panel bracing in there as Bill suggests and then I'll call it good. I do really like the tic-tac-toe bracing as it gives you two nice contact lines for both panels and you can make the "center square" large enough for the magnet to just seat into. It's more wood efficient if you use strips or whatever rather than cutting it out of a piece, but I wasn't that concerned about the added couple pounds and the wood usage wasn't a big deal.
Two things that I tried that I found really helpful:
One was to use an H brace to route my circles. I was concerned about the circle sliding or dropping, even with another piece behind it so I made an H out of a couple of scrap pieces. Then I could clamp my stock piece to the legs of the H and run a couple screws into the circle that was being cut out.
Probably 100% unnecessary but it gave me confidence and piece of mind while routing.
Another was, I was having a lot of trouble actually constructing the box and keeping everything square while I got all the pieces aligned and started putting clamps on. I used some of the scrap pieces I had and made a couple of these blocks:
and found them really useful. I just made them by screwing the longer piece into a base piece. From then on I used pieces of MDF to screw the other two pieces in square. Glue would probably be just as easy or better, but I didn't have time to wait for it to dry.