High output, multiple driver DIY main recommendations? - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 538 Old 01-12-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Wow. He'll yeah! Love the slot port. Those are 15"?

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 538 Old 01-12-2013, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looking good Gorilla. Which brad nailer do you have?
post #213 of 538 Old 01-12-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Looking really good man! Looks like you will have your done before my parts arrive...You have me motivated to go pick up some wood tomorrow and get it cut in anticipation! Hope you enjoy them, can't wait til you have them done and some impressions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #214 of 538 Old 01-12-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Looking really good man! Looks like you will have your done before my parts arrive...You have me motivated to go pick up some wood tomorrow and get it cut in anticipation! Hope you enjoy them, can't wait til you have them done and some impressions.

Thank you. It will still be some time before they are finished, but I'm happy with the progress so far. Might as well get after it and cut some wood tomorrow. We're supposed to have great weather here tomorrow so hopefully I can get my bracing done and some more panels glued.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Wow. He'll yeah! Love the slot port. Those are 15"?

Thanks man. I love the slot port look too. Yes, they are B&C 15's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmithers View Post

Looking good Gorilla. Which brad nailer do you have?

Thank you sir, still lots more work to do. Hopefully taking another big chunk of progress tomorrow. I have a Husky/Home depot 2" brad nailer using 1.5" nails right now that came with it. I'll have to take some pictures of the indents (or lack of). You can barely see where the nail heads are. With duratex finishing I don't think they would be visible even without filling, haha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #215 of 538 Old 01-12-2013, 10:18 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Dude, It is like, we are on the same plan, MAN...... I am just glad I had to cut the speaker cutouts and the ports myself, lots of good learning there. Not sure if you are following my td12x build but I am a shade ahead of you at the moment smile.gif

I can't tell you how valuable that brad nailer has been so far; it just makes everything SOOO much easier. a table saw is my next purchase but that won't help me out too much with the Juggernauts (Quad D.O. SI build) since cutting those panels won't be too table saw-happy.

Bottom line, if you don't have a router, get one, and if you do, a flush-trim router bit is the TRUTH!!!! We need to get together on your "DIY what you need thread" and write up a several stage "needs" section regarding how serious you want to get. I usually buy 2-3 new things for each build and this time it was the brad nailer and the flush-trim bit and it upped my DIY game seriously for quality finishing purchases. We should definitely create some level's of seriousness steps on your thread though.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #216 of 538 Old 01-13-2013, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Beast - I've got two fixed base and one plunge router at the house along with a table so I'm covered. I've also got a slew of cool jigs too. We should chat regarding router add ons. smile.gif I agree the flush trim bit is great and a huge time saver. I've got bottom and top bearing bits for template work too. smile.gif

Yes, I have been following your build thread, they are looking great! I also agree with the brad nailer. smile.gif I just got my parts yesterday so I need to catch up! biggrin.gif

As for the panels for the juggernauts - if you're cutting them by yourself I would definitely look at using and edge guide and/or track saw. Makes things EASY!

post #217 of 538 Old 01-13-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Prototype/template bracing using my router and edge guide done. Kind of a pita and my clamps got knocked loose a couple times so not perfect. Meh, oh well.

I will clean it up and throw some roundovers on it as well.

post #218 of 538 Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

looks great to me. rest of them will be easy now

post #219 of 538 Old 01-13-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

looks great to me. rest of them will be easy now

Thanks Brian! I'm thinking I spent far too long on making the bracing look nice, haha.

Before roundovers - I didn't bother getting the template super smooth, but they turned out decent.

After:

First box assembly started:

This box needs:
-Flush trim to clean up Inner/outer baffle after my rough cuts with the jigsaw
-Install port and port bracing
-Install vertical bracing
-Install top
-Build/install crossover
-Install rear speakon terminal and wires
-Sand/Fill
-Paint
-Install woofer/waveguide/driver

The rest of the boxes should go super fast now that I have the order down and all the pieces are fitted. cool.gif

post #220 of 538 Old 01-13-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Looking good - viva la slot ports and 15s!

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #221 of 538 Old 01-13-2013, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
yummy, beefcake B&C 15 cool.gif

"I should really see what dB levels I'm pushing. Long as it can't foam my beer during a movie we are ok "
post #222 of 538 Old 01-14-2013, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. Next weekend is pretty much packed with family stuff going on so hoping to get some more headway some nights this week.

post #223 of 538 Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 PM

Liked: 11
Following your new thread over here too Andrew! I'm thinking of the Tempest-12 for myself so looking forward to your build cool.gif

Scott
post #224 of 538 Old 01-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Rilla is making some new mains, eh? With 15's too?

Good man. cool.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #225 of 538 Old 01-16-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post

Following your new thread over here too Andrew! I'm thinking of the Tempest-12 for myself so looking forward to your build cool.gif

Scott

Scott - Warning: These builds can be addicting and hazardous to your relationships. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Rilla is making some new mains, eh? With 15's too?

Good man. cool.gif

Yes sir, it seemed like a decent step up from the SHOs which are already a decent sounding speaker.

If this doesn't cure the itch maybe multiple 15s will be the ticket. biggrin.gif

post #226 of 538 Old 01-16-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Starting to look like a speaker now, heh. Completed flush trim with outer baffle, painted ports (all 3) and bottom of speaker. Also started assembling speaker two. Bottom, back, sides, and inner baffle is now drying. rolleyes.gif

Waveguides, third driver, and crossover parts arriving tomorrow, woot!

post #227 of 538 Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Those are big! Looking good, you are a maniac smile.gif
post #228 of 538 Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 276
jeebus those look massive. most of the rest of my stuff will come tomorrow as well. Ill finally make a thread when its all here and i get started. Monday i have a talk with the guy who is gonna build me a custom TV stand. hes gonna be here fixing some water damage anyway biggrin.gif

post #229 of 538 Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

jeebus those look massive. most of the rest of my stuff will come tomorrow as well. Ill finally make a thread when its all here and i get started. Monday i have a talk with the guy who is gonna build me a custom TV stand. hes gonna be here fixing some water damage anyway biggrin.gif

They easily dwarf the SHOs in sheer mass and size, that's for sure. I think the empty cabinet is already like 50 lbs, heh.

Looking forward to your build and hearing your thoughts. You could always tackle the tv stand too! But then again you've got your hands full with upcoming projects already. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Those are big! Looking good, you are a maniac smile.gif

Thank you sir! My parents were over for dinner recently and my mom referred to it as "washing machine sized", lol. I guess the gallon paint can on the table is a good size reference. tongue.gif

post #230 of 538 Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I love the washing machine comment... Hilarious..
post #231 of 538 Old 01-16-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Are you going to put any cross braces in there other than between the waveguide and woofer? Two 12" pieces of wood can touch the inner sides, and just glue them together where they overlap in the middle of he box.

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #232 of 538 Old 01-17-2013, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Me likey! Looking great.

I'm going to catch up on this thread on Friday! That woofer looks like a work horse for sure.

What's the quick and dirty on the differences between yours and beasts?

post #233 of 538 Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Are you going to put any cross braces in there other than between the waveguide and woofer? Two 12" pieces of wood can touch the inner sides, and just glue them together where they overlap in the middle of he box.

Erich - I also have the slot port at the bottom that effectively serves as a horizontal brace as well. I'll be adding in the vertical bracing tonight as well. Do you think I should add in a third horizontal brace behind the woof?
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Me likey! Looking great.

I'm going to catch up on this thread on Friday! That woofer looks like a work horse for sure.

What's the quick and dirty on the differences between yours and beasts?

Thanks man! Both my build and beast's use high displacement / high excursion monsters. I believe his driver has a bit better inductance though. I think we both use the same compression driver and waveguide. I can't really comment on SQ differences though since I don't think anyone has heard both yet? Heh.

post #234 of 538 Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 580
I understand about the slot port acting as a brace, but it's so low in the box, I'm not sure it counts too much. I'd add something between that and your other brace. Nothing crazy, but something.

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #235 of 538 Old 01-17-2013, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I understand about the slot port acting as a brace, but it's so low in the box, I'm not sure it counts too much. I'd add something between that and your other brace. Nothing crazy, but something.

No problem. I can easily rip down some other pieces with the stock I have laying around. I can probably tie that into the vertical bracing too. B&C has the depth listed a just under 7" so that should be no problem to get some bracing behind there.

BTW PE shows this driver as back in stock 1/22. smile.gif

post #236 of 538 Old 01-17-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

No problem. I can easily rip down some other pieces with the stock I have laying around. I can probably tie that into the vertical bracing too. B&C has the depth listed a just under 7" so that should be no problem to get some bracing behind there.

BTW PE shows this driver as back in stock 1/22. smile.gif

Sweeeet..no excuse not to order a bunch more kits now. biggrin.gif

Nice work too Gman, you have me jealous right now. Love the comments from moms on audio gear. I got the "dumbass" comment from mine when she saw two Dayton 18s sitting in my living room and I told her there were gonna be at least 8 in the HT.

post #237 of 538 Old 01-17-2013, 07:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Scott - Warning: These builds can be addicting and hazardous to your relationships. biggrin.gif

Oh I know! To date I've built 1 sub, 3 sets of mains (towers) and 2 centers and a pair of bookshelves that I use for computer speakers here at work. Here's a link to my single driver mains and center build I did. I really like them for music but they can't hold a candle in a tornado to these SEOS / HO builds. My wife is on board and as long as I make them look somewhat nice she won't care if they're in the living room. Yours and the other builds are giving me inspiration to get on the bandwagon! After this it'll be a pair of dual opposed Dayton 18's ... muahahah!

The boxes are looking great and I really like the look of the slot port. That's what I've done on virtually all of my builds. Its a bit more difficult than simply cutting holes for port tubes but I think the end result is much cleaner looking. Great inspiration!

Scott
post #238 of 538 Old 01-17-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Scott! Nice build too.

A few small updates:

Cut and installed vertical and additional horizontal brace in box 1
Installed slot port in box 1
Installed brace in box 2. Cut vertical and extra braces for box 2

post #239 of 538 Old 01-18-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Box # 1 had the top and additional bracing installed - almost ready for finishing and crossover.

Box #2 will receive outer baffle and port brace tomorrow.

Box #3 will begin construction tomorrow. smile.gif

post #240 of 538 Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Coming along quickly! I wonder how these compare to my Cornscalas. If I ever go to a false wall and AT screen ill be building these fo sho! The big 15's have a huge sound to them. I bet you're going to love them. I'm sure the sho 10's are great but I bet there will not be any going back from these bad boys!

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Amazon Com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page