post #241 of 538 Old 01-19-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Coming along quickly! I wonder how these compare to my Cornscalas. If I ever go to a false wall and AT screen ill be building these fo sho! The big 15's have a huge sound to them. I bet you're going to love them. I'm sure the sho 10's are great but I bet there will not be any going back from these bad boys!

Too bad you aren't closer so we could do an A/B with the Cornscalas. I'd love to do a false wall too someday. I'll move the SHOs to surround duty for a bit once these are finished. smile.gif

3 amigos - biggrin.gif Still got a lot of finishing work to do as well as the crossovers, speakon connectors, wall lining, etc. But progress nonetheless.

Out for a birthday dinner tonight!

My ghetto mockup of the crossover - just so happens to be the same size as the port brace. smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 538 Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Time has been tough to come by, and when it does I'm exhausted, LOL. My team began training for another powerlifting meet coming up in April so we've been spending alot of time hitting it hard which has cut into my building time. But, some progress nonetheless:

-Sanded edges and routed roundovers on all 3 boxes
-Drywall compound applied to nail holes and edges
-First crossover complete! Still have to trim the board though. Not terrible for my first attempt I guess. I was contemplating running all wires beneath the board, but figured I would keep it simple in the interest of reducing mistakes my first time around. Not to mention this process is time consuming enough as is! The second two boards should go together a bit more quickly now that I've got the layout figured out.

Hoping to do some more crossover work tonight and get some more sanding done on the boxes. I also picked up a 15/16 spade bit for the speakon connectors yesterday so I'll probably test that out on some scrap wood too.

post #243 of 538 Old 01-22-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Keep at it man, you're almost there.
post #244 of 538 Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Impressive! Can't wait to stop by and hear them.
post #245 of 538 Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Keep at it man, you're almost there.

Thanks man. I'll for sure be plugging along until they get done. Any more progress with yours? Did you start playing with the crossover yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

Impressive! Can't wait to stop by and hear them.

Thanks John. Should be up and running in the next week or so. cool.gif

Just stopped at HD again to rip some 1/2" MDF for the grills. I'd like to get the grill frames glued together soon so I can drill for the grill magnets before the cabinets are ready for paint, which will be soon. biggrin.gif
post #246 of 538 Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 330
post #247 of 538 Old 01-22-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Thanks man. I'll for sure be plugging along until they get done. Any more progress with yours? Did you start playing with the crossover yet?
Thanks John. Should be up and running in the next week or so. cool.gif

Unfortunately not. I have the cabs all done and was going to start filling, priming and painting process tonight. I am still waiting on one mor package that has my third woofer, all three CDs and waveguides and all the xovr parts. The good part is that once they come, I will be done with the cbs and can pay 100% attention to the xovers. I was laughing this morning because I hav my cart full at DIYSG with 4 more sentinels and 6 minions and flatpacks. I told myself I would wait until I heard them to order the rest, so I have it all prepared. biggrin.gif
post #248 of 538 Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

man run those beasts naked!

I wish man, I'm getting antsy to get them tested but at the same time I want to do it right the first time and not have to pull them all back apart for painting. Especially since I'm using MDF, I'd like to minimize the number of times I install/remove the drivers. wink.gif

Quote:

[
Unfortunately not. I have the cabs all done and was going to start filling, priming and painting process tonight. I am still waiting on one mor package that has my third woofer, all three CDs and waveguides and all the xovr parts. The good part is that once they come, I will be done with the cbs and can pay 100% attention to the xovers. I was laughing this morning because I hav my cart full at DIYSG with 4 more sentinels and 6 minions and flatpacks. I told myself I would wait until I heard them to order the rest, so I have it all prepared. biggrin.gif

4 more sentinels! You planning on putting them in the bathroom? biggrin.gif Might as well wait to listen before you get too crazy. cool.gif
post #249 of 538 Old 01-22-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

i simply meant without grills. obviously i would paint them smile.gif
post #250 of 538 Old 01-22-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i simply meant without grills. obviously i would paint them smile.gif

I like to use the grills as a template for drilling the pilot holes for magnets on the enclosures. Rigging up the grill frames only takes a few minutes per and ensures I get the holes centered properly on the base speaker. Ideally I'd like to have the holes drilled and magnets glued in before I paint the enclosures, you know? smile.gif I don't have to have the grills finished, just need the base ready for drilling.
post #251 of 538 Old 01-23-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Few updates:

-Got all the wood (MDF) cut and routed for the grills. I assembled one of the grills last night, and another this morning. Once cut, I can assemble/glue the pieces together in a few minutes which is nice. The last grill will go together quickly first thing tonight. My magnets arrived yesterday, although I haven't really checked them out. I went with slightly larger 0.5" diameter x 0.2" depth this time. They should be super strong. I did a quick test fit on the speaker today and it looks decent. Since the baffle is so narrow compared to the driver size, I will do a quick test fit tonight before I start drilling.
-Did some more sanding / filling again on all three boxes.
-Got the second crossover buttoned up last night.
-Drilled a test hole for the speakon connector in scrap wood this morning. Fits great with a 15/16 bit.

Tonight I'm off from the gym so should see some more decent progress! I'm going to focus on getting the grills/baffles drilled, doing some test fitment, drilling for the speakon connectors, and finishing sanding on the boxes. Almost ready for paint! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

post #252 of 538 Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking great and the crossovers look good too! Looking forward to seeing how you do your grills. I've done a few sets and they've turned out pretty good but I haven't managed to get them super pretty on the back side. Fronts looks perfect but backs, not so much. Make sure to detail it out please!

Scott
post #253 of 538 Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post

Looking great and the crossovers look good too! Looking forward to seeing how you do your grills. I've done a few sets and they've turned out pretty good but I haven't managed to get them super pretty on the back side. Fronts looks perfect but backs, not so much. Make sure to detail it out please!

Scott

Scott - thanks! I've made quite a few grills already for my subs with the same process. My wife will give me a hand and I will stretch, glue, and staple each side at a time. The tricky part are the corners where they will need to be trimmed one side at a time. I've never managed to get the back side perfect, but since I never seen or look at it, I figured my time was best spent elsewhere. smile.gif A trimming knife and a straight edge would help to smooth out the seams where they are stapled too.

Examples my from sub project:

Cut and trim wood to size, and I personally like to rout in a 45 degree bevel:

Glue together for a frame:

Spray frames black so that it does not show through the fabric:

Drill frames/pilot holes for magnets or grill pins - I unfortunately don't have any direct pics on my phone here but I used 3/8 x 0.2" neomonium magnets held in place by Gorilla glue.

Wrap in fabric and staple. Later on I found that spraying the egdes cleaned up this process alot and made it easier:

End:
post #254 of 538 Old 01-23-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #255 of 538 Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM

Nice those look great! I like the beveled edge on the front, looks very nice. I did the exact same thing with my center channel I built. It looks like we both employ the same process of wife help and one side at a time except I don't staple. Do you use standard glue or hot glue? I've been using hot glue as it helps to stick the cloth to the frame instantly so I don't need staples. I use a putty knife to push down the grillcloth into the hot glue so I don't burn my fingers. The end result looks pretty much the same as yours. Great from the front, good from the back biggrin.gif Like you said, you can't see them so no point in spending tons of time making them perfect.

Scott
post #256 of 538 Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Scott - I just used regular 3M spray adhesive. I'm sure hot glue would work just as well too. I think this next round of grills I'm going to leave out the staples as they really aren't needed anyway and it would give an overall cleaner look. I will probably also trim to the edge of the frame so that it will be all black and even on the backside. Should work out well and of course I will post pics when done.
post #257 of 538 Old 01-23-2013, 12:22 PM

Good idea, I hadn't thought of spray adhesive. The hot glue can at times get a tiny bit thick so that might alleviate the problem. Maybe I'll try that on my next build.

Scott
post #258 of 538 Old 01-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
cutting a groove on the backside of the grill and using screen door ribbing to roll into the groove and hold the material in place works like a champ. I've used that method for years with great success... a little dab of glue in the groove doesn't hurt either if you plan to have it be permanent (not recommended to easily swap out if you expect the material to get damaged or you want to adjust at some point)....

Shane
post #259 of 538 Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM

I've thought about cutting a groove but couldn't think of an easy way to make one of size. I'm ok with a router but not amazing and I've never made jigs before, that was the only was I could think of doing a consistent groove ... How do you do it? I love the idea!

Scott
post #260 of 538 Old 01-23-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post

I've thought about cutting a groove but couldn't think of an easy way to make one of size. I'm ok with a router but not amazing and I've never made jigs before, that was the only was I could think of doing a consistent groove ... How do you do it? I love the idea!

Scott

Couple ideas - Router w/ straight edge guide or table/fence and straight/rabbet bit or table saw set to proper depth.

hometheaterdoc - cool idea, might have to try that this time around. wink.gif
post #261 of 538 Old 01-23-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Ril, did you put your verticle braces right behind the port?? Do they obstruct the rear port opening?? I have my boxes complete except vert braces and the top, which I was going to do tonight. I hadn't even thought about it before, but when I went to do it, I wondered if it would effect the performance of the port...
post #262 of 538 Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ril, did you put your verticle braces right behind the port?? Do they obstruct the rear port opening?? I have my boxes complete except vert braces and the top, which I was going to do tonight. I hadn't even thought about it before, but when I went to do it, I wondered if it would effect the performance of the port...

I actually have it closer to the back wall. I'm sure not an ideal placement for the brace strength, but it's out of the ports way. smile.gif
post #263 of 538 Old 01-23-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Definitely copying the grill idea for my subs. I like the beveled edges quite a bit. What size and type of wood are the frames made out of? Looks like 1x2"?
post #264 of 538 Old 01-23-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Definitely copying the grill idea for my subs. I like the beveled edges quite a bit. What size and type of wood are the frames made out of? Looks like 1x2"?

Yes, they are 1x2. For my speakers I went a little smaller using 0.5 inch thick MDF in 1.25" strips. I like the edge alot too!

Made a bit more progress tonight:

-drilled holes for speakon connectors in enclosures
-assembled grill frames
-drilled and installed magnets in cabinets
-performed basic testing of one crossover, success!
-more sanding of cabs and painted bottoms

This was the first time I painted with Duratex using no primer. I just painted the bottoms as an experiment. With the first coat I could still see the drywall filler underneath. After the second coat it looks great though.

Hoping to paint the rest of the cabs tomorrow night! biggrin.gif
post #265 of 538 Old 01-24-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got the boxes and grill frames primered tonight. Even in just a rough primer I'm very happy with their look.

With and without waveguide propped in:

post #266 of 538 Old 01-24-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

what primer did you use? I assume so you use less duratex?
post #267 of 538 Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

what primer did you use? I assume so you use less duratex?

I seem to have much better luck thoroughly covering the filler/compound when using a black latex base and smooth roller first. Last night I did the bottoms in Duratex and after two medium coats I could still see specs of white when you look up close. Never had that issue when laying the flat black down first.

Oh, and using less Duratex is a bonus too. biggrin.gif
post #268 of 538 Old 01-24-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still need to make a run tomorrow to pick up screws for the waveguide and polyester batting to line the walls. Getting close though!
post #269 of 538 Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
So close you can taste it....

post #270 of 538 Old 01-25-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
illa- what screw sizes, or bolts, and attachment techniques are you using for attaching the waveguides and woofers?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Amazon Com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page