sonotube insulation advice.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-29-2012, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have loosely placed 3.5 inch R13 insulation inside my sonotube...which can be seen below...this seems a bit excessive...keep in mind this is only 14" diameter sonotube...

will i be okay with the R13 or should i look into egg crate foam...

i believe there is a difference between open cell and closed cell...i believe closed cell will take away from the internal volume of the enclosure...i imagine i do not want this...can someone tell me which of the two is best and how do i know whether i am buying open or closed cell...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 545
There's nothing wrong with using the R-13 as shown. I'd leave it as is.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Is this going to be a ported enclosure? I have found that overstuffing a ported enclsoure even if the material is kept away from the ports can lower output around tuning by a few dB's.

If sealed what you show is fine.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-29-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Can you pull apart into like half that?

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #5 of 10 Old 12-29-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If ported, consider using something other than fiberglass, so you aren't blowing glass fibers into your room.

-Max
post #6 of 10 Old 12-29-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper View Post

If ported, consider using something other than fiberglass, so you aren't blowing glass fibers into your room.
-Max
+1. There are a number of issues with home insulation fiberglass, and that's why professional designers don't recommend it. Rigid type 700 fiberglass works quite well, but not in sonotubes. I'd go with foam, as it is easily glued in. Polyester batting is OK too. A tube doesn't need a lot, two inches is plenty, as the round shape minimizes internal reflections anyway.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-29-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnp112 View Post

i have loosely placed 3.5 inch R13 insulation inside my sonotube...which can be seen below...this seems a bit excessive...keep in mind this is only 14" diameter sonotube...
will i be okay with the R13 or should i look into egg crate foam...
i believe there is a difference between open cell and closed cell...i believe closed cell will take away from the internal volume of the enclosure...i imagine i do not want this...can someone tell me which of the two is best and how do i know whether i am buying open or closed cell...

Michael Hurd and Neo Dan did a bunch of comparisons with and without the insulation. Give them a shout and they can offer some advice.

Keep cranking,

Robert

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine....Must it be? It must be!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 Old 12-30-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

nice...thanks guys...i didnt expect such a turnout...

the sub will be ported....and i understand that there is a possibilty of fiberglass being blown out of the port...but i have also read that it will not be a problem...if it is...i will have to build a nylon port cover....

i would like to stay with the R13 only because i already have it on hand...i liked the suggestion of pulling apart the R13 to like 2 inches of material as opposed to the 3.5 inches...quick question though...i have read that R13 is mainly used to dampen the upper harmonics...will this also have a noticeable effect on its ability to dampen those harmonics...

thanks robert...i will have to reach out to hurd & dan...
post #9 of 10 Old 12-30-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You will have loose fibers that will become airborne, and blow out of the port, as well as falling on the back of the driver, and getting sucked into the voice coil gap. I would suggest using something other than fiberglass. If it was a sealed sonotube, and there was a way to prevent it from entering the gap, or sagging down / covering the vent on the back of the magnet, sure.

I did a bunch of measurements a few years back to see why an untreated sonotube sounded so 'ugly' when I fired the first one up. Turns out that the end to end dimension was long enough to create a big spike in the frequency response that rang way out to 300 msec after the initial signal.

Two polyfill pillows placed around the port slightly away from the endcap opposite the driver is enough to completely get rid of that nasty spike. It did however come with a slight penalty in efficiency above tuning, with a slight gain below tuning. Pillows are nice because the material is contained in the cover, they are non-shedding and easy to work with.

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
post #10 of 10 Old 12-31-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

thanks michael...just wanted to summarize where i will end up in regards to the insulation...

i will test the following once the rest of the build is completed...may be a while..still need to order the amp...

i will be stuffing a couple pillows around the port...which will be on the opposite end of the driver...but not completely against the endcap...this will leave a small air gap between the stuffing and the endcap...

i have copied the link to the original post by michael...for those who may care...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1141956/vented-boxes-and-absorption
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page