post #61 of 67 Old 01-03-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

No, because of the presence of boundaries. I think the term 'acoustic center' has you a bit confused. What's pertinent in this case is the radiating plane, one that's, say, thirteen inches wide versus thirteen feet wide. One will react quite differently with respect to the radiation pattern than the other, and that matters more than the response curve in this scenario.

this and something you said a few posts back about tall stacks of subwoofer boxes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Where adjacent drivers are within 1/4 wavelength of each other they'll couple to create a single source. Even six drivers would still couple to a single source. If taming room modes was that simple that's how we'd do it.

i guess the lesson is that how the drivers are aligned may also make a difference for in-room FR.
e.g. 8 drives on the same plane would likely sound different than 4 DO boxes stacked in 2 levels.
I would not be surprised if there is measurable difference in frequency response even between single dual opposed and single dual font firing boxes, depending on position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by zheka View Post

i guess the lesson is that how the drivers are aligned may also make a difference for in-room FR.
e.g. 8 drives on the same plane would likely sound different than 4 DO boxes stacked in 2 levels.
Yes, the key being the distance from the respective radiating planes to the sidewalls are so different.
Quote:
I would not be surprised if there is measurable difference in frequency response even between single dual opposed and single dual font firing boxes, depending on position.
Very little, there not being that much of a difference in the overall form/size factor.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #63 of 67 Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I found this interesting.

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=content&id=77

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #64 of 67 Old 01-04-2013, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 149
So basically what happens if you mount all of your subs on the same plane, within one quarter wave length of each other, they will couple to create a summed source? If that is the case, wouldn't you loose the advantages of having multiple subs to smooth out the response? If so, what would anyone do this?
post #65 of 67 Old 01-04-2013, 05:12 AM

Liked: 13
Headroom
post #66 of 67 Old 01-04-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

So basically what happens if you mount all of your subs on the same plane, within one quarter wave length of each other, they will couple to create a summed source? If that is the case, wouldn't you loose the advantages of having multiple subs to smooth out the response? If so, what would anyone do this?
Ask MKtheater. It is a valid approach if you've got a very good room, and if you create a true wall of subs.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #67 of 67 Old 01-04-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 421
It works great! My subs go across 10 feet wide, almost 3 feet high and leaves me about 2.5 feet on each side away from the corners. When I add the T-48's to the bottoms of my DR-250's I will move the subs each in a corner so now triple stacked in each front corner. I will see which is better as response is concerned. I did not even have to EQ that much to be flat, I just added a low shelf for under 20hz.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page