want help on first DIY sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-30-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need help in planning my first subwoofer. It will be used 75% for music and 25% for movies. I don't know what driver to use, whether it should be sealed or ported, or what amp to use. I have been considering this for quite a while, but I cannot make up my mind. I was considering using the Dayton Audio RSS315HF-12" in a sealed box, but now I am wondering if I wouldn't be more happy with a ported box as they can go lower? I tried to use WinISD, but I can't get it to work, though I guess I should try again. I also considered the 15" version of the Dayton HF and the TC Sounds Epic 12. I like the idea of a smaller box around 2 cf, but I can go bigger, if it will sound that much better. I did already get a plate amp, as I have read quite a few people who were happy with the Oaudio 500 watt, so when I saw it on Ebay, I got it which I think it would work well with the Dayton HF-12" in a sealed box, but I don't know if it would be so good in a ported box. I think I could sell it, if something else works better. Any help would be much appreciated. I am a little overwhelmed by all the options, and experiencing some "analysis paralysis".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianray View Post

I need help in planning my first subwoofer. It will be used 75% for music and 25% for movies. I don't know what driver to use, whether it should be sealed or ported, or what amp to use. I have been considering this for quite a while, but I cannot make up my mind. I was considering using the Dayton Audio RSS315HF-12" in a sealed box, but now I am wondering if I wouldn't be more happy with a ported box as they can go lower? I tried to use WinISD, but I can't get it to work, though I guess I should try again. I also considered the 15" version of the Dayton HF and the TC Sounds Epic 12. I like the idea of a smaller box around 2 cf, but I can go bigger, if it will sound that much better. I did already get a plate amp, as I have read quite a few people who were happy with the Oaudio 500 watt, so when I saw it on Ebay, I got it which I think it would work well with the Dayton HF-12" in a sealed box, but I don't know if it would be so good in a ported box. I think I could sell it, if something else works better. Any help would be much appreciated. I am a little overwhelmed by all the options, and experiencing some "analysis paralysis".

What size is your room, and what is your budget?
post #3 of 4 Old 12-30-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the room is 18' by 13' with a cathedral ceiling that kind of joins the space to the kitchen which is the same size (there is an 8' high wall with a pass through between the living room and kitchen but the ceiling is 11' at that point), and the room is carpeted. I'm hoping to keep the sub at around $500, which I spent $250 on the amp already.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 105
A sealed sub might work for you, a Dayton RSS18HO in 3.5 ft3 is a pretty good match for the O Audio, which has boost applied to all of the HPF settings.

If you want really strong low end output, a ported sub would be better, but you will likely need an even larger box then the above sealed 18.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page