My new year’s resolution: Dual Dayton DVC385 ported build / DIY HT speaker / room acoustics upgrade! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 71 Old 03-19-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Awesome stuff.
Is 11Hz HPF detectable on measurements?
I do not think I've seen the mains and the horns before. Did you have build threads for these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 03-19-2013, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 118
You should be able to see the effect of the highpass if I did some measurements with and without it enabled but I have not done that yet.

The mains and small folded horns do not have builds threads. The woofers used in the mains sold out right after I built them and have gone through 3-4 crossover iterations over the past two years. However you can expect a build thread for the new <$100 version I am planning.

The little folded horn subs I built before I had a mic to measure their performance with and as such I did not want to share a possible bad design. They seem to do OK though, I still have yet to get some outdoor FR/sensitivity measurements on those. They use the 8" Dayton SD215-88 which PE had for $15 back when they were switching to the un-shielded version. They extend to about 35hz in room which is pretty good considering their size. Here are some pictures I have of those:

post #63 of 71 Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Super cool. Love tha handles biggrin.gif
The idea of sub that can carried around like a briefcase seems very attractive to me
Bombelman likes this.
post #64 of 71 Old 04-25-2013, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post

^ Yet to try it out? eek.gif Who builds a sub and never tries it out, get to it man. biggrin.gif

Just finished mine up. We are pretty much the same for size and tuning. As built I came in at 7.36cu.ft. and tune to about 17.5Hz. My FR is here, drops like a rock after 20 or so, I'm jealous!

Tim
post #65 of 71 Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Mtg. Awesome stuff!

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #66 of 71 Old 04-25-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
I like the mains that you built. They look (form factor) a lot like a Klipsch KL-650-THX.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #67 of 71 Old 04-25-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks,

When I first grabbed a few of those Klipsch buyout woofers from PE the first thing I thought was I am going to build a clone, eventually it morphed into you see above. I really like the size of those enclosures too.
post #68 of 71 Old 06-17-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Nice subs !

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #69 of 71 Old 06-06-2014, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update time, it's been a while and this is one of the things I have been slowly working on the past few months.

Before:

After:

So from the last update I've built 16 acoustic panels and added them to the room, found a way how to make them very inexpensively in the process ~$10 in materials for a 3" thick 2'x4' panel, I'll post a short write-up on that subject soon. On the front wall all of the panels are 4.5" thick with a 1" air gap, any more space then that looked a little unreasonable. The front wall has 2 of each 40"x48", 28"x40", 20"x28" and 12" x 36". At the first reflection points there are 36"x72"x3" panels with a 1" air gap, and about 30" behind are 16"x72" (right wall) and 16"x60"(left wall). These four are the panels with a different fabric used, when I picked that up in store from Jo-Ann fabrics it looked more gray unfortunately when I mounted them on the walls it ended up looking a little bit like denim blue jeans. The other two panels on each sidewall are 28"x40" right wall and 16"x28" left wall below the move posters, those are the ones that are very inexpensive to make. I feel that the panels made a huge difference really night and day, almost every audible aspect of the system has improved by adding them to the room.

I also redid the ceiling. Pulled down the tiles and florescent shop lights, added R-13 between the joists in the ceiling. I took the old ceiling tiles which are 1" OC703 with a textured white vinyl facing flipped them over and wrapped them with black fabric. It's the same stuff I found and used on a few of the acoustic panels, might not be the most absorptive material at the highest frequencies but it is very inexpensive at ~$0.60 per yard. Painted the ceiling track black and added the can lights which I also painted the baffles black as it was cheaper then buying black ones not to mention the black ones all came with white trim rings. rolleyes.gif The black ceiling is something I had wanted to do for a while and it has improved the contrast ratio by a huge margin. Before the white ceiling just reflected back a ton of light which killed the blacks. The ceiling is also much less distracting now, I don't even notice it at all while watching movies which makes the room feel larger and more like an actual cinema.

The crazy thing is that those last upgrades which in total cost less then $300 had a huge effect on performance and made the room feel more like a proper home theater.

The only other change I have made has been to finally upgrade my subwoofer amp powering the two 15's from an old Sony AVR to a pair of Altec Lansing 9444B's (one amp bridged per sub) biggrin.gif

Altec does not give an official wattage rating at 4 ohms bridged but by my estimates put it around 1000w into a subwoofer as they are rated for higher continuous output <1000hz). I am currently quite happy with the amount of output they give me, I'd need to upgrade my mains or at least switch them to outboard amps if I ever add more subs but there is more then enough output for normal volumes and plenty in reserve for the times when I crank it.
zheka likes this.
post #70 of 71 Old 06-07-2014, 02:51 AM

Liked: 33
great read and great build !
this thread is what home av is all about, including that mess from post #1 :-)
great progress, really nice speakers and awesome subs, what an inspiration !!
thanks for posting this.
post #71 of 71 Old 06-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Looking forward to the write up. Always good to see some new ideas on acoustic panels. I just finished 5 with 1x4's for frames, 3" of JM fiberglass, and grey cotton sheets from Target for fabric. I've got about 3hrs and $25 in each full size 2x4 panel.

Your ceiling tiles look MUCH better. cool.gif
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page