My new year’s resolution: Dual Dayton DVC385 ported build / DIY HT speaker / room acoustics upgrade! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #61 of 88 Old 03-19-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Awesome stuff.
Is 11Hz HPF detectable on measurements?
I do not think I've seen the mains and the horns before. Did you have build threads for these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 88 Old 03-19-2013, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 166
You should be able to see the effect of the highpass if I did some measurements with and without it enabled but I have not done that yet.

The mains and small folded horns do not have builds threads. The woofers used in the mains sold out right after I built them and have gone through 3-4 crossover iterations over the past two years. However you can expect a build thread for the new <$100 version I am planning.

The little folded horn subs I built before I had a mic to measure their performance with and as such I did not want to share a possible bad design. They seem to do OK though, I still have yet to get some outdoor FR/sensitivity measurements on those. They use the 8" Dayton SD215-88 which PE had for $15 back when they were switching to the un-shielded version. They extend to about 35hz in room which is pretty good considering their size. Here are some pictures I have of those:

post #63 of 88 Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Super cool. Love tha handles biggrin.gif
The idea of sub that can carried around like a briefcase seems very attractive to me
Bombelman likes this.
post #64 of 88 Old 04-25-2013, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post

^ Yet to try it out? eek.gif Who builds a sub and never tries it out, get to it man. biggrin.gif

Just finished mine up. We are pretty much the same for size and tuning. As built I came in at 7.36cu.ft. and tune to about 17.5Hz. My FR is here, drops like a rock after 20 or so, I'm jealous!

Tim

ICC Certified.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
||

post #65 of 88 Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Mtg. Awesome stuff!

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #66 of 88 Old 04-25-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
I like the mains that you built. They look (form factor) a lot like a Klipsch KL-650-THX.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #67 of 88 Old 04-25-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks,

When I first grabbed a few of those Klipsch buyout woofers from PE the first thing I thought was I am going to build a clone, eventually it morphed into you see above. I really like the size of those enclosures too.
post #68 of 88 Old 06-17-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Nice subs !

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #69 of 88 Old 06-06-2014, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update time, it's been a while and this is one of the things I have been slowly working on the past few months.

Before:

After:

So from the last update I've built 16 acoustic panels and added them to the room, found a way how to make them very inexpensively in the process ~$10 in materials for a 3" thick 2'x4' panel, I'll post a short write-up on that subject soon. On the front wall all of the panels are 4.5" thick with a 1" air gap, any more space then that looked a little unreasonable. The front wall has 2 of each 40"x48", 28"x40", 20"x28" and 12" x 36". At the first reflection points there are 36"x72"x3" panels with a 1" air gap, and about 30" behind are 16"x72" (right wall) and 16"x60"(left wall). These four are the panels with a different fabric used, when I picked that up in store from Jo-Ann fabrics it looked more gray unfortunately when I mounted them on the walls it ended up looking a little bit like denim blue jeans. The other two panels on each sidewall are 28"x40" right wall and 16"x28" left wall below the move posters, those are the ones that are very inexpensive to make. I feel that the panels made a huge difference really night and day, almost every audible aspect of the system has improved by adding them to the room.

I also redid the ceiling. Pulled down the tiles and florescent shop lights, added R-13 between the joists in the ceiling. I took the old ceiling tiles which are 1" OC703 with a textured white vinyl facing flipped them over and wrapped them with black fabric. It's the same stuff I found and used on a few of the acoustic panels, might not be the most absorptive material at the highest frequencies but it is very inexpensive at ~$0.60 per yard. Painted the ceiling track black and added the can lights which I also painted the baffles black as it was cheaper then buying black ones not to mention the black ones all came with white trim rings. rolleyes.gif The black ceiling is something I had wanted to do for a while and it has improved the contrast ratio by a huge margin. Before the white ceiling just reflected back a ton of light which killed the blacks. The ceiling is also much less distracting now, I don't even notice it at all while watching movies which makes the room feel larger and more like an actual cinema.

The crazy thing is that those last upgrades which in total cost less then $300 had a huge effect on performance and made the room feel more like a proper home theater.

The only other change I have made has been to finally upgrade my subwoofer amp powering the two 15's from an old Sony AVR to a pair of Altec Lansing 9444B's (one amp bridged per sub) biggrin.gif

Altec does not give an official wattage rating at 4 ohms bridged but by my estimates put it around 1000w into a subwoofer as they are rated for higher continuous output <1000hz). I am currently quite happy with the amount of output they give me, I'd need to upgrade my mains or at least switch them to outboard amps if I ever add more subs but there is more then enough output for normal volumes and plenty in reserve for the times when I crank it.
zheka likes this.
post #70 of 88 Old 06-07-2014, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34
great read and great build !
this thread is what home av is all about, including that mess from post #1 :-)
great progress, really nice speakers and awesome subs, what an inspiration !!
thanks for posting this.
post #71 of 88 Old 06-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Looking forward to the write up. Always good to see some new ideas on acoustic panels. I just finished 5 with 1x4's for frames, 3" of JM fiberglass, and grey cotton sheets from Target for fabric. I've got about 3hrs and $25 in each full size 2x4 panel.

Your ceiling tiles look MUCH better. cool.gif
post #72 of 88 Old 08-16-2014, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Before I forget I wanted to post some info about my DIY acoustic panels. The panels were very simple and inexpensive to build and made a huge improvement in the overall sound.

Materials I used:
3/4" Plywood ripped into strips to build the frames, the black panels are 2.5" thick while the blue beveled panels are about 3" thick (the bevel being longer ~4.25"). I figured the cost of the plywood to be less then buying 1x4 boards especially with the different sizes I would be cutting.

Ultratouch R-13 recycled cotton insulation as the absorptive material in the panels. Out of the bag it is a little compressed and that fit right into the 2.5" thick panels. I really like this stuff, no itch and just as good if not better then fiberglass. I switched to it inside my speaker enclosures two years ago and never looked back. The only issues are it can be a little hard to cut cleanly but I just rip it and it can be fairly dusty.

The blue fabric I used is a cotton fabric I picked up from Jo Ann's, it was on clearance and looked a little more gray in the store. Kind of disappointed in the color at first but I have gotten used to it now. The black fabric I used on the panels and on the ceiling is very very inexpensive and looks great in person. It is and don't laugh black heavy duty landscape fabric specifically this stuff: http://www.menards.com/main/building...01-c-13236.htm
I had purchased some black upholstery dust cover to wrap the ceiling tiles in because I was looking for something inexpensive to blackout the ceiling. After I got it I thought hey this looks like the roll of landscape fabric in the garage, sure enough they were pretty much identical, in fact the landscape fabric was more uniform in it's appearance. So I bought a couple more rolls of the black landscape fabric and used it instead. Now I did have an issue with one roll having a slightly bluish hue to it, I was able to finish without using that roll but you may want to inspect the fabric before buying any I am sure batch to batch color consistency is not too important for stuff meant to be buried outdoors. This was the identical dust cover material just in case anyone wanted to know, also a decent deal just not $0.53 a yard: http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/han...cover-200-.htm
I used a thinner landscape fabric as backing for the panels.

I also used fiberglass window/door screen below the fabric as a supportive layer to give structure to the panel. The fiberglass screen does not stretch and when tensioned and stapled to the frame gives a nice rigid layer so that the floppy cotton insulation does not make the fabric bulge out in front.

Last but not least staples, lots and lots of staples used a few boxes for all those panels.

Some photo's of the process, pretty much self explanatory:

Scott Simonian, LTD02 and zheka like this.
post #73 of 88 Old 08-16-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Matt, why beveled panels? just esthetics?

the landscape fabric looks like a great find. is it easy to breath through?
post #74 of 88 Old 08-16-2014, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah I wanted to try something different then a regular square panel for those. The bevel turned out nice once I figured out what settings to use on my miter saw to make them.

The landscape fabric is not crazy breathable but about the same as a thin t-shirt doubled up. Testing it by holding up a sheet in front of a speaker playing pink noise you only hear a very slight reduction in the high frequencies so it should allow most of the frequency range to pass unimpeded and my guess is that most those high frequencies are being absorbed rather then reflected except perhaps at extreme angles but hey it's $0.50 a yard.
zheka likes this.
post #75 of 88 Old 08-16-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
nice work matt...very nice.

the further off the wall that they can be mounted, the lower in frequency is the absorption...if you aren't already aware.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #76 of 88 Old 08-16-2014, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks, if you look close you can see I spaced them off the walls. The smaller/black panels have about a inch gap, the larger blue ones about 1.75". Can't really push them too far out without it looking funny. But hey the ceiling is all 1"oc703+R-13+6"air gap
post #77 of 88 Old 08-20-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Thanks for the update.

post #78 of 88 Old 08-20-2014, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

More to come
post #79 of 88 Old 09-15-2014, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Adding a pair of new subs to replace the small 8" folded horns I have at the back for smoothing:

These are nearly done, two coats of paint on them going to add a third and they will be set. I need to get the photos offloaded from my camera and posted here. ~5 cu ft. tuned to ~15hz may come in a bit lower once I measure them, panels actually worked out well and can be cut from one sheet minus bracing and the internal baffle. Drivers are going to be the Dayton DVC385-88, however the enclosures would also work well with the RSS390HO-4.

One of the two DVC's in my larger ported boxes at the front of the room met an early death My guess was a bad glue joint on the spider because it came partially undone and the VC rocked and rubbed on the pole piece tarring the former. I replaced those with some old Submersive drivers I got from Mark. Then I found another DVC385 driver at the MWAF this summer for $45 which looked brand new so having the drivers and accidentally acquiring a few extra amps I decided to put both to good use.

There has been a lot of other work that I have yet to post but will soon once I get everything collected.

I am also going to add graphs and photos to the subwoofer setup and integration write-up I posted a couple days ago in another thread using my room as an example. Hopefully that will become a good reference for proper subwoofer setup. I'll repost it here when I have the extra info, if it turns out well I may create a separate official thread just for that info as I don't think there is something like that on AVS.
zheka and sslv2pwned like this.
post #80 of 88 Old 09-15-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Great stuff mtg, looking good! Really like the before and after photos with your write up discussing changes made and why.

I think an official thread based on your well written post on subwoofer setup and integration with corresponding graphs would be fantastic. I was just thinking the other day after reading how it would be a shame for such a detailed post to get lost.
post #81 of 88 Old 09-16-2014, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
Adding a pair of new subs to replace the small 8" folded horns I have at the back for smoothing:

These are nearly done, two coats of paint on them going to add a third and they will be set. I need to get the photos offloaded from my camera and posted here. ~5 cu ft. tuned to ~15hz may come in a bit lower once I measure them, panels actually worked out well and can be cut from one sheet minus bracing and the internal baffle. Drivers are going to be the Dayton DVC385-88, however the enclosures would also work well with the RSS390HO-4.

One of the two DVC's in my larger ported boxes at the front of the room met an early death My guess was a bad glue joint on the spider because it came partially undone and the VC rocked and rubbed on the pole piece tarring the former. I replaced those with some old Submersive drivers I got from Mark. Then I found another DVC385 driver at the MWAF this summer for $45 which looked brand new so having the drivers and accidentally acquiring a few extra amps I decided to put both to good use.

There has been a lot of other work that I have yet to post but will soon once I get everything collected.

I am also going to add graphs and photos to the subwoofer setup and integration write-up I posted a couple days ago in another thread using my room as an example. Hopefully that will become a good reference for proper subwoofer setup. I'll repost it here when I have the extra info, if it turns out well I may create a separate official thread just for that info as I don't think there is something like that on AVS.

Are those Dayton DVC subs that you are running similar to the MFW-15 driver?

How do you like those 15" Dayton DVC's? With all the craze towards massive 18" and up drivers that are so expensive, it's quite refreshing to see someone use the cheaper Dayton DVC models instead of the $400+ subs that are so popular around here. Especially given your particular talents with regards to speaker design!
post #82 of 88 Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Luke.

The DVC's are quite similar to the MFW driver. I really like them a lot, the output is very impressive yet they are also quite clean and detailed once dialed in. I'd be willing to demo the system for anyone in the area to show what only $400 in subwoofer drivers can do!
zheka likes this.

Last edited by mtg90; 09-16-2014 at 12:17 PM.
post #83 of 88 Old 09-17-2014, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
Thanks Luke.

The DVC's are quite similar to the MFW driver. I really like them a lot, the output is very impressive yet they are also quite clean and detailed once dialed in. I'd be willing to demo the system for anyone in the area to show what only $400 in subwoofer drivers can do!
Matt, where do you live?

What is the size of your room? Can you remind me what the specs on your enclosure are again?
post #84 of 88 Old 09-17-2014, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It says that under my Avatar

Room is 15.5' wide, about 17' deep, 9' ceilings, back is open to another 5000-6000 cu ft. of the basement. Front subs are roughly 9.5 cu ft. tuned to 14.5 Hz, 20.5"W x 26"H x 40"D, two 4" ports in each.
post #85 of 88 Old 09-17-2014, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So here is the DVC that quit on me, I had re-glued the spider before I knew it had a tear inside thus why it looks all ripped up. At least the glue I used held.

A look inside the voice coil at the tear:

Now on to pics of the sub build, here is one of the boxes partially assembled with all the bracing already inside. At this point just the baffle needs to be glued on. The bracing is just the left overs cut into strips, that is my favorite style bracing as it uses up the scraps and is fairly easy to assemble.

Both boxes glued up and getting the brad nail holes filled. If you look close you can see I built them as mirror images on one another.

Putting on the primer, again using Zinsser Fast Prime 2. Left has two coats, right has a single.

While those were drying I thought I would build some grill frames for these, unfortunately I did not realize I was using 3/4" which made them a little thicker then I wanted but oh well. Like the bracing these were also built using the left over scraps rather then cutting from one large piece and wasting the inner cutout. You can see one of my new tool acquisitions off the left there, that little guy is awesome with the dust collector attachment, cuts down on MDF dust by up to 90% depending on the bit being used.

Here are the subs with two coats of flat black, I realized that I used satin black on the front two subs only after I started painting these. While it is hard to notice the difference by looking at them the flat black is not as smooth and attracts more dust.

Here is one with the driver mounted and placed in the room:

With the grill on:

The other in it's location up on the self at the back left:

What is under there is up next!
zheka likes this.
post #86 of 88 Old 09-17-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Very, very nice work mtg90
Big thumbs up!

Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
post #87 of 88 Old 09-17-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

i really like the shallow profile you've chosen. makes placement along the walls so much easier.

cannot wait for the measurements and integration write up.

Last edited by zheka; 09-17-2014 at 08:10 PM.
post #88 of 88 Old 09-18-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Awesome. I love the look with the grills
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page