highest dB per $ subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an rc car dirt track and am working on a sound system that can be heard from about 200 yards away and over the noise of 20 or so gas powered rc cars. I'm not sure how loud it is at the track, but the cars can be over 90 Db from a foot away. I built some very large line arrays with surplus speakers and am now looking to add a few subwoofers. I would rather not make the sound system any closer as large amounts of dust are probably not very good for the voice coils.

I have been looking at different DIY horn loaded enclosures and the tuba 60 has been the best option i have found. http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/T60.html

I planned to have 2 of these and possibly make them larger for 2 15s in each. Are there any better options out there? size does not matter, but the budget is around $1000 not including the amplifier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Two LilMike's F-20's. They are a front loaded horn, he has super easy to follow directions, and BOTH will only cost you around $600 including glue, screws, wood, driver, and finish. Go buy a Behringer ep4000 for about $275 to run them, and you have a killer sub system. It is an awesome horn. Just do an avs search on it. I had two for a while and they absolutely rock smile.gif Where is your track located? I am hoping to sell off my revobrushless for a truggy of some sort and a TT basher I can just screw around with. I have just started into the hobby and it is super fun!!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #3 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 06:56 AM

You might also check out Bill's T48. It's nearly as loud as the T60 in the lower ranges and pulls ahead at ~50hz. It needs to be high-passed at 40hz, but it's going to be hard to reproduce the ultra low stuff outdoors anyway.

post #4 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
How loud vs loud low is the question. The lower you want to go-the less output you will have (all other things being equal).

You have to trade one thing for another. I would use 50hz as low point for general outdoor music -give or take.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #5 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Can you put your speakers and subs near where the "drivers" stand? That way you don't have to have a crazy loud setup that must be heard 200yds away over lots of ambient noise. I don't know if you've ever been outside listening to music at long distances, but the wind and other attributes sure mess things up.

That said, how would the T48 compare to the 12pi?
*edit*
Nevermind, I found frequency and distortion plots.
http://audioroundtable.com/PiSpeakers/messages/21795.html

YID DIY
post #6 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 54
just go get a matterhorn from danley and call it a day!
post #7 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Two LilMike's F-20's.
-1. What works great for HT indoors is the wrong tool for music outdoors. For the same reason the THT is not a candidate either.
Quote:
You might also check out Bill's T48. It's nearly as loud as the T60 in the lower ranges and pulls ahead at ~50hz. It needs to be high-passed at 40hz, but it's going to be hard to reproduce the ultra low stuff outdoors anyway.
+1. If the OP really needs below 35Hz then T60 makes sense, but otherwise not so much. Most users who think they need below 35Hz really don't.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Isn't the othorn designed for PA purposes? That would have the output you need but ricci would have to chime in regarding it's outdoor capabilities.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

What about some JBL pro style boxes? I bet my 4648's would work pretty well for outdoors smile.gif

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #10 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1192
Quote:

What about some JBL pro style boxes? I bet my 4648's would work pretty well for outdoors
Quote:
the budget is around $1000 not including the amplifier.
Aside from being way above his budget they don't have horn loaded sensitivity.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Not when I'm selling a pair for $850 smile.gif Do you really need the horn? These things with not a lot of power can absolutely pound.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #12 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 10:56 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Not when I'm selling a pair for $850 smile.gif Do you really need the horn? These things with not a lot of power can absolutely pound.

What are you gonna run now with the XXX beast?
post #13 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoeft View Post

What are you gonna run now with the XXX beast?

Nothing, selling those too biggrin.gif haha. the LS6's have enough bass for my needs.

Just kidding. I have 8 Stereo Integrity 18HT's coming in. It would have been easier to do two more RE's and another clone, but with the seemingly degrading quality of the LG clones, I didn't want to risk it. Also, their power consumption in the upper octaves is off the charts, and I like to sometimes just do music, and do it really hot in the bass dept.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #14 of 15 Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like i'm going with T48's. I'll try one and then maybe build a second if I need it. The fact that Bill replied in this thread is making me consider them even more.
Quote:

Two LilMike's F-20's. They are a front loaded horn, he has super easy to follow directions, and BOTH will only cost you around $600 including glue, screws, wood, driver, and finish. Go buy a Behringer ep4000 for about $275 to run them, and you have a killer sub system. It is an awesome horn. Just do an avs search on it. I had two for a while and they absolutely rock smile.gif Where is your track located? I am hoping to sell off my revobrushless for a truggy of some sort and a TT basher I can just screw around with. I have just started into the hobby and it is super fun!!

The Behringer ep4000 looks like a lot of amp for the price. I won't need that much output, but it would be nice to have if I change anything in the future. The track is located off Route 15 between Mansfield, PA and the New York border. As long as nobody destroys the place, its free to use any time. Right now, we only have competitions for a few classes of gas powered monster trucks and truggies, mainly due to the fact that electric trucks couldn't hit 30 mph until the past couple years. Now, it looks like brushless trucks are phasing out the gas trucks now that they are even faster and don't require $30+ a gallon to run. We will probably group electric trucks with the heavily modified 2wd and 4wd classes, depending on the lap times they run until we have enough for an electric class. A lot of those guys have aircraft engines or multiple truck engines. I have about 10 r/c cars including an old t-maxx that eventually turned into a 6" extended frame, 3 .26 nitro motors with close to 10 HP total, steel drivetrain, and aluminum everything else. 0.5 HP per LB is a little too dangerous for anything but an empty track though. We plan to add a larger dirt track and pave an area extremely smooth for a road car track once funds are available.

As for speaker placement, I planned to build a shed near the track to house them, but all it takes is a broke man with a chainsaw and a truck and their gone. Instead, They will be going in a cinderblock garage behind a steel door that i'll open whenever their used. The line arrays are just a pile of 2 way 6.5" car speakers I had laying around since I havn't had a car with stock speakers more than a month. They stand about 10 feet tall and are bolted to the outside of the garage about 5 feet in the air.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-03-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuchan187 View Post

Looks like i'm going with T48's. I'll try one and then maybe build a second if I need it. The fact that Bill replied in this thread is making me consider them even more.

I think you'll be happy with your decision. I've used a pair of Lab 12 loaded T39's outdoors and they sounded great..
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page