Atempt at repairing Maelstrom-x 18 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2
DIY Speakers and Subs > Atempt at repairing Maelstrom-x 18
robertcharles's Avatar robertcharles 07:34 AM 01-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by keager View Post

I removed the dust cap from the cone and found another dust cap I guess. However it is fibrous material(outer one was plastic), and it is incredibly dense. I could not push my utility knife through it,and dont want to get to carried away.

My goal with removing the dust cap was so I could use shims to align the voice coil and surround when reassembling. My only thought to remove the inner dust cap is to use a dremel? That just sounds like to much that could go wrong. I have looked online and found a few techniques using batteries or low voltage power supplies to move the cone in and out during glueing to get everything in line. Any suggestions?

That inner dust cap was probably the original idea, but it might have been too small to look "cool" on such a big driver, so they just glued another bigger cap to the cone for looks. You say it is fibrous but you cannot cut through it with a razor knife? Can you see the back of it through the voice coil? You could use a hot razor blade to see if it will "melt" through the seam. An xacto knife is much thinner and the razor sharp edge might just push right throuh if it is hot.

keager's Avatar keager 07:39 AM 01-13-2013
Hi Robert. Thats a good idea. The tip of the knife goes into it, but it seems very dense and thick. I wanted to make sure it didn't have any structural purpose. It just surprised me to find it there.
robertcharles's Avatar robertcharles 07:49 AM 01-13-2013
Quote:

Hi Robert. Thats a good idea. The tip of the knife goes into it, but it seems very dense and thick. I wanted to make sure it didn't have any structural purpose. It just surprised me to find it there.

I have seen a few like that over the years. As a matter of fact I did that on a few repair on throw away drivers I picked up, so the original damage was covered and it looked brand new. No one can see under the cap on any of my drivers- so out of sight, out of mind. Maybe you can set up a nice lazy susan so you can position the glue neatly when reassembling it. I use a syringe. I have a whole bunch of them from the infusions that my dad was taking for his arthritis. They seem to work fine. I will post pictures of it tonight if you want?

Keep cranking,

Robert
keager's Avatar keager 07:55 AM 01-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcharles View Post

I have seen a few like that over the years. As a matter of fact I did that on a few repair on throw away drivers I picked up, so the original damage was covered and it looked brand new. No one can see under the cap on any of my drivers- so out of sight, out of mind. Maybe you can set up a nice lazy susan so you can position the glue neatly when reassembling it. I use a syringe. I have a whole bunch of them from the infusions that my dad was taking for his arthritis. They seem to work fine. I will post pictures of it tonight if you want?

Keep cranking,

Robert

That would be great. Any help would be appreciated. I am going to order the ca glue for the spider and a couple dust caps. Withe two part ca glue, do you put the bead on the frame where the spider attaches, spray it with activator and the put the spider down on the glue? What is a good glue for the surround? Thanks for your help.
robertcharles's Avatar robertcharles 09:24 PM 01-13-2013
Quote:

That would be great. Any help would be appreciated. I am going to order the ca glue for the spider and a couple dust caps. Withe two part ca glue, do you put the bead on the frame where the spider attaches, spray it with activator and the put the spider down on the glue? What is a good glue for the surround? Thanks for your help.

I will try to post picture soon. Been busy with the kids and a certain situation.
keager's Avatar keager 09:26 PM 01-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcharles View Post

I will try to post picture soon. Been busy with the kids and a certain situation.
no worries. These have been sitting in my garage for over a year.
1  2

Up
Mobile  Desktop