Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #61 of 74 Old 12-14-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Interesting. SpeakerPower used to have their prices posted on the website and they don't anymore. I did purchase one of their rack mount SP2-8000 a few months ago to power 3 LMS-5400 subs (maybe a 4th later) and it definitely wasn't cheap. Nice and with the quiet fan option, I don't hear it at all a few feet away...actually, I've been pretty close to it and don't remember ever hearing it. And the LMS-5400s really pound although I haven't done any measurements to verify amplifier output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 02-01-2014, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Is it best to contact a dealer or the company in regards to prices on their amps?
post #63 of 74 Old 02-02-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 96
If you get pricing I'd be interested if wouldn't mind sharing. Heard their prices went up.
post #64 of 74 Old 02-02-2014, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I think there just OEM now. It was posted somewhere on here.. but I do believe Mr. Seaton.said he would get them for anyone . Ya might give him a call.
post #65 of 74 Old 02-02-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank1209 View Post

I think there just OEM now. It was posted somewhere on here.. but I do believe Mr. Seaton.said he would get them for anyone . Ya might give him a call.

Wonder why they would do that. Maybe the complex on board dsp and fools incorrectly messing with it?
post #66 of 74 Old 02-02-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I bumped. The tread. Up. That the info was in. Since my phone would nor cooperate
post #67 of 74 Old 02-02-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

Interesting. SpeakerPower used to have their prices posted on the website and they don't anymore. I did purchase one of their rack mount SP2-8000 a few months ago to power 3 LMS-5400 subs (maybe a 4th later) and it definitely wasn't cheap. Nice and with the quiet fan option, I don't hear it at all a few feet away...actually, I've been pretty close to it and don't remember ever hearing it. And the LMS-5400s really pound although I haven't done any measurements to verify amplifier output.

You aren't hearing the fan as it likely isn't on for most operation. I forget the exact temp, but the fan, which is fairly quiet, doesn't kick on until the amplifier sustains >60 degC temp (>140-150F)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

Quote:

Wonder why they would do that. Maybe the complex on board dsp and fools incorrectly messing with it?

I can and will offer the amplifiers for interested DIYers. There will probably be some dealers in the future for pro-audio side of things, but Brian and I will be looking at first making the package a bit more DIY friendly, and later hopefully add some worthwhile features for a small premium. For now I would recommend pairing these with any of the MiniDSP units giving plenty of control and flexibility.

The reason was simple. Direct purchases made for tons of questions and less than a handful of sales. SpeakerPower doesn't keep up with the current trends and interests of the DIY market, and the OEM side and new product work needs more time and attention. If interested, e-mail me/us at our sales e-mail.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #68 of 74 Old 02-02-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I have sent Speakerpower an email requesting prices already. Should I send you an email Mark or PM?
post #69 of 74 Old 02-02-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

You aren't hearing the fan as it likely isn't on for most operation. I forget the exact temp, but the fan, which is fairly quiet, doesn't kick on until the amplifier sustains >60 degC temp (>140-150F)

When I placed my order for the SP2-8000, I asked for the quiet fan option, which was alluded to on their website. I mentioned I'd be using it for my home subwoofer system. So I'm not sure if they put in a quieter fan or not. I'm very happy with the amp so it matters not to me.

A friend recently inquired about their amps and the price was double what I paid a few months before. It is nice to know these great amps might once again be available for a more reasonable price to DIYers.
post #70 of 74 Old 02-03-2014, 09:00 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:

The reason was simple. Direct purchases made for tons of questions and less than a handful of sales.

Entirely understandable.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #71 of 74 Old 02-03-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

I have sent Speakerpower an email requesting prices already. Should I send you an email Mark or PM?

Please e-mail our main sales address for Seaton Sound, as PM's are not intended nor a reliable way to communicate for such things.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #72 of 74 Old 02-03-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

It was not targeted at DIYers any more than the Behringers are

The Behringers are targeted at the largest cross segment of customers possible. Pro installation, DIY, or other. The DSP in their DSP series helps them do that.

Quote:

You are also attributing much more intelligence to the DSP hardware vs the person programming it. I expect you have never downloaded the software posted. If you did you would see that it is 2 separate software packages to manipulate 3-4 different aspects of behavior with no real-time interface.

Coming from someone that has programmed Active X-Overs beginning in the 90's I would say Active DSP X-Over is a godsend and if your reply is true then Speaker Power is also behind the times.

It costs Crown, as example, $6 on average to put a DSP chip into their amps. Couple that with HiQnet and managing the fabric is awesome. As far as the persons intelligence: When I started doing Pro-audio and DVE/DAW editing suites, just like everyone else, I started from a position of limited knowledge.
Quote:

There is an assumption the user understands various filter types and functions and for the user to test the result to insure that the correct values and behavior was loaded and executed, as it doesn't tell you details like when you are out of filters. For a tool a designer uses on multiple products, but only has to get right once and then copy, it offers great flexibility without paying for someone like BSS or Lake to develop an interface. Almost no other users go through some of the acrobatics I do in limiter definitions and the like. There is no field that says "cap output at 1800W". There are 3 numeric settings and a curve definition just for the limiter. Once you have the curves and filters ported to the correct format, you then have to sort through a node based flow diagram with points to load filter sets created in the other program. When most first look at the screen they respond with a verbal or implied "WTF do you do with that?" I haven't even gotten to the horribly clunky and quirky hardware connection which must use a real parallel port (adapters won't work) and an external interface box. Long story short, it is a programming tool with some significant capabilities which was never designed for general consumer us.

There are ODM DSP solutions available to the engineer to integrate into their product. While I love Lake and BSS (Lab and Harman respectively) there are other solutions that have been out for ~2 product cycles. It just may not be that important to SpeakerPower. That is not to take anything away from them. Just a reality of business practicalities. I would assume to keep peoples fingers out of the DSP (which most have a lockout function).

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #73 of 74 Old 02-03-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI, The post you quoted is now a year old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku View Post

Quote:

It was not targeted at DIYers any more than the Behringers are

The Behringers are targeted at the largest cross segment of customers possible. Pro installation, DIY, or other. The DSP in their DSP series helps them do that.

DIY'ers are no where on Behringer's radar. They represent a tiny fraction of total sales. Only the sales of the larger markets allow support for the connection and setup questions customers encounter.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You are also attributing much more intelligence to the DSP hardware vs the person programming it. I expect you have never downloaded the software posted. If you did you would see that it is 2 separate software packages to manipulate 3-4 different aspects of behavior with no real-time interface.

Coming from someone that has programmed Active X-Overs beginning in the 90's I would say Active DSP X-Over is a godsend and if your reply is true then Speaker Power is also behind the times.

I believe you are reading the post out of context, as my point was simply that the DSP currently in use is not suitable for DIY/public use. There was no disagreement that other options would be desirable. Production of a proprietary amplifier design, especially one with this level of power, is a significant task, and while very well established, SpeakerPower does not yet have the range of resources Crown or QSC have. More designs are in the pipeline, and over the past few years these fully US made amplifiers (how many can claim that?) have been polished and refined.
Quote:
It costs Crown, as example, $6 on average to put a DSP chip into their amps. Couple that with HiQnet and managing the fabric is awesome. As far as the persons intelligence: When I started doing Pro-audio and DVE/DAW editing suites, just like everyone else, I started from a position of limited knowledge.

The current DSP available to OEM's has dramatically more flexibility than what is seen in the Behringer or Crown integrated solutions. More than a few solutions have been examined. The CobraMote option SpeakerPower already has is in line with such the solutions you mention but at the moment the potential network connection support isn't economically attractive nor viable for either SpeakerPower or myself. Brian & I have discussed a few options, and they will continue to be experimented with. Sometimes such decisions get impacted by details like parts availability or experience with various parties involved. I've come close to producing multiple products and cut them off as there was no confidence in availability for any number of reasons.

While some are fine with the noisy fans of big pro amps, I can't tolerate it in a home audio system unless it's in a separate, closed off equipment room. In this regard, the SpeakerPower amps are some of the only options available near this power level, not to mentioning having support for repair or other issues within the US. It's certainly not the cheapest option available and never will be. Hopefully they offer a solution some find of value, just as I and other OEMs find them to add great value/performance in our production products.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #74 of 74 Old 02-03-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

FYI
DIY'ers are no where on Behringer's radar. They represent a tiny fraction of total sales. Only the sales of the larger markets allow support for the connection and setup questions customers encounter.

I didn't say that DIY'ers were. What I am saying is the iNukeDSP, Crown XTI2, now Carvin all have solutions that appeal to the DIY'er. We both know that if one were to manufacture an amp with DSP etc and only target to the DIY they would be quickly out of business. A lot of DIY's are shy of funds or under the belief that the most valuable dollar isn't the one spent but the one still in their hand. As many people burned on the LG Clones quickly found out. Quality has a price.
Quote:

I believe you are reading the post out of context, as my point was simply that the DSP currently in use is not suitable for DIY/public use....The current DSP available to OEM's has dramatically more flexibility than what is seen in the Behringer or Crown integrated solutions.

It's certainly enough. It's the 90/10 rule. 10% of the items that are used 90% of the time. You can still go external and flatten the inbuilt solution.
Quote:

While some are fine with the noisy fans of big pro amps, I can't tolerate it in a home audio system unless it's in a separate, closed off equipment room. In this regard, the SpeakerPower amps are some of the only options available near this power level, not to mentioning having support for repair or other issues within the US. It's certainly not the cheapest option available and never will be. Hopefully they offer a solution some find of value, just as I and other OEMs find them to add great value/performance in our production products.

In total agreement with you there. My stack is downstairs from my HT room.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page