AVS Forum banner

3 new subs under $750

726 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  whiskey_face 
#1 ·
i have 1 jl audio w7 12 with a jl audio jx 500/1 amp in a single cab chevy 1500. I build custom boxes i recently built a box a customer backed out on, the box is fiberglass and replaces the middle seat. It can hold 3 12 inch subs. Im selling my w7 and thinking about buying 3 of the kicker L7. I havent cut the holes yet so i can get round or square base. I dont have to worry about mounting depth either. i am wanting to spend less than 700. Any ideas on what 3 subs i should buy.

#2 ·
Interesting question in this forum, but OK. Kicker is junk IMO. Much, much better drivers out there for the price. The JL sub you are going to dump are actually pretty nice drivers.

I'd add RE audio, ID, Hertz, JBL, and the list goes on. Depends on if you're looking for primarily SPL, or SQ. I'm going to guess the former.

#5 ·
Sundown SA12's

JBL GTO 12's

Actually the kicker CVX subs are decent. The L series all require different enclosures depending on what you are trying to achieve response-wise.

Truthfully the enclosure info would help. Are you using same amp?

End of the day unless you are putting kilowatts into each sub, about any sub will do.

#9 ·
I'd go a trio of Sundown SA12. I have beat on a set of 4 with 800w per driver for the entirety of an ~6hr show and they just keep on pumping bass all night.

#10 ·
There is nothing wrong with the Kicker L7's, in fact they are very good, just as good as the W7. I had both and still have a L7 in my car. I blew the W7 but it was still a very good driver.

As for the Ebay links, I've never heard anything other than the XXX from RE but I'm sure either one would be sweet.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG  /t/1450126/3-new-subs-under-750/0_80#post_22797994

There is nothing wrong with the Kicker L7's, in fact they are very good, just as good as the W7. I had both and still have a L7 in my car. I blew the W7 but it was still a very good driver.

As for the Ebay links, I've never heard anything other than the XXX from RE but I'm sure either one would be sweet.

I would respectfully disagree that the L7 is in the same league as the W7. Having owned both in multiple enclosures, the L7 was great for SPL, not so much for SQ.

If you are strictly looking for SPL, than yes, the L7 will suffice.

The RE is a great sub combining SQ and SPL, or as some of us like to call it, SQL.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1450126/3-new-subs-under-750#post_22798039

I would respectfully disagree that the L7 is in the same league as the W7. Having owned both in multiple enclosures, the L7 was great for SPL, not so much for SQ.

If you are strictly looking for SPL, than yes, the L7 will suffice.

The RE is a great sub combining SQ and SPL, or as some of us like to call it, SQL.

Not just SPL, I don't find the W7 to be anything better than the L7 for SQ but it's all good, if we all liked the same stuff, we'd only have 1 sub company
Both are great and buying either one would be a great choice

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG  /t/1450126/3-new-subs-under-750/0_80#post_22802704

Not just SPL, I don't find the W7 to be anything better than the L7 for SQ but it's all good, if we all liked the same stuff, we'd only have 1 sub company
Both are great and buying either one would be a great choice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.