DIY in wall stereo + floor sub(s) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After trying to figure out a clean way to get a decent full range of sound into the main living area of the home, it looks like conventional ceiling speakers are out of the question as the performance for even some of the most $$$ ones would be lacking compared to what could be done with a DIY job at a overall smaller cost.

I'd Iike to have a hidden system that will a majority of the time be listened to at a low volume and I would like to have sound everywhere, yet still be able to have a conversation over it. For the occasions when we have friends over late and the music gets turned up, I would like it to still sound good (doesn't need the same soundQ as the theater room), but not have distortion and play good midbass and bass (which will be difficult due to the high ceilings and open floorplan). But I'm open to suggestions!

The whole middle section above the fireplace is just attic space behind. The home has spray foam insulation so the speakers will be in a conditioned environment. I put part of the floorplan on here for sub recommendations. I suppose I'd like to put a center channel in as well so I could use it for watching TV, but don't need it set up with sides or rears as we will never watch a movie on it since the TV is so high.

Budget is somewhat flexible, but lets see what we can do for under $1500 for the DIY family wall and the sub(s). Given your thoughts I'll probably put some 8" polk or monoprice ceiling speakers spread out though the 10' areas for the fill.

Thanks for the suggestions

Speakers.jpg 431k .jpg file P1020768 - Copy.JPG 1113k .JPG file P1020769.JPG 1782k .JPG file P1020782.JPG 1772k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speakers.jpg (431.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P1020768 - Copy.JPG (1.09 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg P1020769.JPG (1.74 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg P1020782.JPG (1.73 MB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 659
This link might help: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=127.0

That's quite a unique situation, cause it's not a whole wall. There will be some baffle losses to the sides. The speakers from that link would work, but I'd probably adjust a couple things in the cross over. There aren't many in-wall DIY designs out there.

I'm also working on a smaller in-wall design, but only a concept right now.

I'll let others suggest subs.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I may not have been as clear as I needed to, but I have attic space I can access from the other side of that wall so I can build a huge box (up to 2 ft deep) until I'm at 11' and then it can go as deep as it needs to be. I'd rather keep it below that height as I figured 2' deep would be plenty adequate.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 659
I see.

What size of speaker are you actually thinking? Something like that interest you, or something smaller? Can you make grills that match your wall color? Seems like a shame to muck up such a nice living area with ugly speakers.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 04:39 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

I see.
What size of speaker are you actually thinking? Something like that interest you, or something smaller? Can you make grills that match your wall color? Seems like a shame to muck up such a nice living area with ugly speakers.

theres no such thing theres no such thing theres no such thing. . . . biggrin.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Depending on how small the holes are to start with, I can always paint the grills the same color as the walls. I can probably get an enamel and thin it down a ton and use my hvlp gun and color any grill to match.

I was into car audio 15+ years ago, but really have no clue where to start with a space that is that open. Cars and theater rooms are about the extents of my predictability so I really don't even know what size speakers I would need in a situation like this. I do like what you did in your setup and have everything on the table right now for possibilities. I just wanted to mention the depth options to potentially open up more speaker choice possibilities that would best suit my situation.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-09-2013, 05:24 PM

Liked: 12
I'm just offering up a suggestion here so please don't start flaming me if this isn't your cup of tea. Boston Acoustics makes what appears to be some pretty good in-wall speakers. Here's some suggestions for you:

In-Wall:

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/US/Product/Pages/subcategorylanding.aspx?CatId=HomeAudio(BostonAcoustics_US)&SubCatId=InWall(BostonAcoustics_US)

In-Ceiling:

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/US/Product/Pages/subcategorylanding.aspx?CatId=HomeAudio(BostonAcoustics_US)&SubCatId=InCeiling(BostonAcoustics_US)
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page