post #92 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcharles View Post

Did you have an LFE system previous to this?

I've had a few capable systems prior to this, but none that I would say would even compare. I've run dual 16-46pc+'s that were replaced by dual PB12/2+, which was replaced by a PB12/2 Ultra.
Quote:
Also, were you happy with the overall impact of the speakers you have in place without an LFE?

Well, seeing as I've never run anything larger than M80's for my front stage that's subjective. I think the Axioms put out quite a bit of bass on their own; they are no slouches. That being said, I'm not sure an 8" driver (dual 6.5's actual equal 9" but I'm factoring in xmax as well), is going to keep up with these but we'll see. I've really gotten the DIY bug after this project and the front stage will be a ton easier to assemble than these monoliths. smile.gif

I think I need to look up a good Chiropractor. I really should have brought some help over. I managed to rock and pull these up on to the stage and swing them up top where I rocked them into position. It is a very tight squeeze between these and the vertical support beams for my screen, but they should just clear with no issues. I thought about notching the beam but I figured I'd leave it alone.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #93 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
That looks epic. I look forward to the day when I can do something like this.

How much do those things weigh? Has to be close to 200lbs for each tower.

post #94 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 69
That looks sick BA! Mains to keep up I'm sure will be on your short list once you get accustom to all that lfe overhead. You'll want that overhead everywhere. At least I think smile.gif
post #95 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

How much do those things weigh? Has to be close to 200lbs for each tower.

I wish. Add another hunsky and you're in the ballpark. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

That looks sick BA! Mains to keep up I'm sure will be on your short list once you get accustom to all that lfe overhead. You'll want that overhead everywhere. At least I think smile.gif

smile.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #96 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Awesome!
post #97 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 94
sweet! whens the test drive report coming?!

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #98 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Very nice...great job!
Can't wait to hear your impressions...
post #99 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

Very nice...great job!

Sergio, you got anything built out for yours yet?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #100 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Ha crazy man. Let's hope you don't end up with a hernia. Then you'd literally have gut wrenching bass!

post #101 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Sergio, you got anything built out for yours yet?

Not yet, It's to freaking cold here for me to do anything with the 4x SI18's that are rotting in a corner downstairs.

I'll probably build 2 dual-opposed and put 1 per corner in the front to balance my rear monsters!

I can't wait but have no choice to wait for warmer weather.
Tonight's low will be -8F and tomorrows high is +3F.
Might be a month or 2 before l even start mad.gif
post #102 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post

Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

sweet! whens the test drive report coming?!

Quote:

Very nice...great job!

I'm starting the wiring project now. I just finished up my friends cab which took literally about 4 hrs from start to finish. Amazing how much easier things are to work on when doing normal scale. smile.gif

I'll have some basic impressions later this evening. I won't bother eq'ing or setting gains for a couple days. I won't go crazy till then but it will at least give me a nice starting impression to see if all this work has been in vain.
Quote:

Ha crazy man. Let's hope you don't end up with a hernia. Then you'd literally have gut wrenching bass!

LOL. No worries about a Hernia but my back sure is killing me. frown.gif
Quote:

Not yet, It's to freaking cold here for me to do anything with the 4x SI18's that are rotting in a corner downstairs.

I'll probably build 2 dual-opposed and put 1 per corner in the front to balance my rear monsters!

I can't wait but have no choice to wait for warmer weather.
Tonight's low will be -8F and tomorrows high is +3F.
Might be a month or 2 before l even start mad.gif

I know the feeling. We haven't been quite as cold but the majority of this build has been in my garage with a heater that crashed on me with the temps in the single digits. We just now finally warmed up to the 30's now that I'm finished. rolleyes.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #103 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I know the feeling. We haven't been quite as cold but the majority of this build has been in my garage with a heater that crashed on me with the temps in the single digits. We just now finally warmed up to the 30's now that I'm finished. rolleyes.gif

Murphys law!

Keep rocking with your beasts...can't wait to hear your impressions!

Wish I had a garage frown.gif
post #104 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Warmed up to the 30's? Man, I'm practically freezing in 60 degree weather where I'm at. lol.

post #105 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:

Warmed up to the 30's? Man, I'm practically freezing in 60 degree weather where I'm at. lol.

I tan in 60 degree weather...

Dude, FS that stink you have a weather imposed restriction on your build progress. Just tape off a room in the house and get started biggrin.gif When we got down into the teens I did that with my dining room that literally gets used once a year...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #106 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Ya it sucks bigtime but at least I got the 15's in the front for now going.

Last time I built cabs in the basement and promised my family that I'd NEVER do that again.
I might be using a friends garage to start earlier...we shall see.
post #107 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I got the same feeling looking at your front stage that I got when I first watched 2001 and a new day was dawning with the monolith standing oppressively on the horizon.
post #108 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:

I've had a few capable systems prior to this, but none that I would say would even compare. I've run dual 16-46pc+'s that were replaced by dual PB12/2+, which was replaced by a PB12/2 Ultra.
Well, seeing as I've never run anything larger than M80's for my front stage that's subjective. I think the Axioms put out quite a bit of bass on their own; they are no slouches. That being said, I'm not sure an 8" driver (dual 6.5's actual equal 9" but I'm factoring in xmax as well), is going to keep up with these but we'll see. I've really gotten the DIY bug after this project and the front stage will be a ton easier to assemble than these monoliths. smile.gif

I think I need to look up a good Chiropractor. I really should have brought some help over. I managed to rock and pull these up on to the stage and swing them up top where I rocked them into position. It is a very tight squeeze between these and the vertical support beams for my screen, but they should just clear with no issues. I thought about notching the beam but I figured I'd leave it alone.

WOW, that' looks awesome bass addict!! Well done, I can't wait to get my DI drivers going in here. Please give us your impressions of how they sound!!

I read somewhere that you are considering going with a SEOS build to replace your Axioms. I would highly suggest this!! I am a former Axiom owner and I recently heard some SEOS Tempest DIY speakers. There is no comparison IMO. Now, everyone has different taste of course, but I just wanted to give you my opinion.
post #109 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

WOW, that' looks awesome bass addict!! Well done, I can't wait to get my DI drivers going in here. Please give us your impressions of how they sound!!

I read somewhere that you are considering going with a SEOS build to replace your Axioms. I would highly suggest this!! I am a former Axiom owner and I recently heard some SEOS Tempest DIY speakers. There is no comparison IMO. Now, everyone has different taste of course, but I just wanted to give you my opinion.

Thanks carp. I'm actually glad to hear your impressions on the Axioms. I've been hoping to run across someone who has demoed those and a Seos setup. I know this is really a long shot without an AB, but would you consider the Seos more of a bright, or laid back speakers. Reason I ask is; one I actually prefer a more in your face presentation, and two, I would like to continue to run my Axiom height, wide, and surrounds. I think the QS8's do a fantastic job with more placement flexibility.

Achievement Unlocked

post #110 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

That is a cool picture. Nice lighting! Care if we use it for our soon-to-be-added HT picture page? cool.gif

...after time permits we (the forum and us here at SI) would really like to hear your initial listening impressions. biggrin.gif
post #111 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post

That is a cool picture. Nice lighting! Care if we use it for our soon-to-be-added HT picture page? cool.gif

...after time permits we (the forum and us here at SI) would really like to hear your initial listening impressions. biggrin.gif

I don't have a problem with that at all, but I'll take a much better one for that. These are off my cheapy dig. I don't care if this one gets full of dust, lol.

I started with some initial listening impressions tonight but I'll withhold any judgement until I can accurately eq them. I did fire them up and did a quick run of Audessey. I'm using XT32 and am running dual subs off the receiver. Audessey set the levels and I popped in some DVDA's to have a listen. Initial impressions are good. The output is severely lacking which I'm trying to track down however.

The EP4000 has me a little confused. So I'm tired and things aren't soaking in like they should. I setup for bridged mode (put all dipswitches in what I feel is the correct position), and you're supposed to plug into input 1 and turn input 2 gain off to prevent phase cancellation. Well I hook it up in reverse and use input 2, with the input 2 gain set at 1/2 way with input 1 turned all the way down. Audessey set the sub at -12 and -13 hooked up this way.

After checking through all connections I discover my faux pas and change the connections around. I'm thinking this should fix my output issue. I set the channel 1 gain to about 20% and channel 2 to zero, and re run Audessey. Before I was only getting channel 2 source light coming on, where now they are both lighting up, so I think all is good. Well needless to say Audessey sets the sub level at -12 and -13 with the new setup. Output is exactly the same??????????

Apparently the Ep4000 manual doesn't match up to real world scenario. The unit appears to output the same signal regardless of which input I am using. I'm also surprised that Audessey is setting the level the same when the gains were completely different on each run?????

Achievement Unlocked

post #112 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Good to hear you are getting fired up. I would just give the amp a go with it going stereo and see what happens. Then you can work on getting amps going in bridged mode. It will be fine as long as the signal is good, and once the power is in bridged, you will be seeing full output. What. Processor are you using?

Good luck,

Keep cranking,

Robert
post #113 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

post #114 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, bridged amp for each cabinet?

Yes. I'm running 2 EP's, one to each cab. Receiver is Onkyo 3009.

I guess I'm confused on the correlation as both input 1 and 2 provide the same output, even when changing the gains. If it really was using channel 1 for output in bridged mode, my original run had the gain set to zero (2 was set to 1/2 which it's not supposed to use). For the second run I had channel one gain bumped up to 30%, and the subs were level matched the same (within a db).

Achievement Unlocked

post #115 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, to see if the cabs are doing what they are designed for, hook it up in stereo on one amp and let it rip. then, we can kick out ideas about the bridge after you smile wide for a while .the one amp will be fine to test
post #116 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Just put the switches to stereo mode and run the amp with the gains at about 12 o'clock to start and turn audessey off.. Set the LFE to 0 and see what happens. Then manually adjust the amp to how you like it while playing some really nice music and see how your cabinets sound
post #117 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, to see if the cabs are doing what they are designed for, hook it up in stereo on one amp and let it rip. then, we can kick out ideas about the bridge after you smile wide for a while .the one amp will be fine to test

I don't think those drivers will even move in stereo mode. They are wired for a 6 ohm load, hence needing to bridge the behringer. If I run each off a channel they won't be getting any juice. As it is, each cab is only getting around 1250 watts at full tilt. I chose to go with 6 drivers getting less juice than 4 with more. The SPL was the same, with less strain on the amp, and less excursion needed.

I do know that the level the subs were set at is way too low though, as I have to turn up the volume to about -25 before the signal lights on the Behringer light up. I'm going to break out my DMM tomorrow and test the sub voltage at 0db.

Achievement Unlocked

post #118 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I drove my LMS cabs off of a 200 watt amp and they are in 8 ohms it will work
post #119 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

You are only going to end up a few more Decibels with the extra power.
post #120 of 158 Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are only going to end up a few more Decibels with the extra power.

I'll take a few. wink.gif

The 4000 is only good for 600 wpc at 4 ohm. So I'll just say 500 for arguments sake at 6 ohm. That's only 167 watts per driver, and it's probably less.

Achievement Unlocked

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page