post #151 of 158 Old 02-14-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

On my SMS I can set the HPF all the way down to 1hz. Are you sure you can't go below 15?

If that's the case, I must not have the most recent firmware update. I definitely cannot set below 15hz.

I'll go home and update it tonight and report back. If I can set it at 1hz, should I still run a 6db slope, or would I go larger at that point?

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 158 Old 02-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
At that low it may not make any difference as you will be dealing with the roll off of everything else in the signal chain. But I'd probably just set it to 6dB/oct to lessen the effect. It's up to you! Hopefully you can get all updated and then once you've changed the HPF, remeasure.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #153 of 158 Old 02-14-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 598
If you can't get it to work I could sell you mine, I think I'm done with it after I realized it was limiting my output.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449145/im-done-with-the-sms-1-it-limits-the-output-of-my-submersives#post_22774305

I did like using it for music, but lately I haven't been using at it at all and don't plan on using it with my SI subs when I get them built.
post #154 of 158 Old 02-14-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

If you can't get it to work I could sell you mine, I think I'm done with it after I realized it was limiting my output.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449145/im-done-with-the-sms-1-it-limits-the-output-of-my-submersives#post_22774305

I did like using it for music, but lately I haven't been using at it at all and don't plan on using it with my SI subs when I get them built.

Sweet. I could eq each sub independently this way. Seeing as it will severely limit my output, I'll pay you a dollar for it. biggrin.gif

I really think you should try it out with the SI's. I've never noticed an issue with output with this either in the chain, or not, in the past. I think XT32 is about the best I've seen so far with eq'ing (other than maybe Trinnov), and it still fubars the sub up.

If you still are set on parting with it, PM me with a price and I'll kick around adding another toy to the lineup. smile.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #155 of 158 Old 02-14-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
You definitely need to do a firmware update BA. Here is the link for the update: http://velodyne.com/support/software-updates

Carp, do you have any warranty left on your SMS-1? I have not heard of anyone else talking about how the SMS-1 is limiting there output and I have tested it out my-self with both my SMS-1's and there is not a difference in output when it is in or out of the signal.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #156 of 158 Old 02-14-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

You definitely need to do a firmware update BA. Here is the link for the update: http://velodyne.com/support/software-updates

Carp, do you have any warranty left on your SMS-1? I have not heard of anyone else talking about how the SMS-1 is limiting there output and I have tested it out my-self with both my SMS-1's and there is not a difference in output when it is in or out of the signal.

Thanks, it's already been downloaded. smile.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #157 of 158 Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 598
I don't know, it's around 2 years old. Luke Kamp PM'd me saying I should crank up the sub amp gain and turn down the volume on the sms-1 and try it again. It doesn't limit the output unless I'm going crazy, which is why I never realized it until recently when we compared my Submersive to a dual opposed Dayton HO 18". I'll try Luke's idea as soon as I get a chance.
post #158 of 158 Old 02-14-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What volume level were you running the SMS at?

Achievement Unlocked

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page