Help Planning IB Setup For Music - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-10-2013, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm working on planning out an infinite baffle setup in my living room that will be used only for music (and NPR). I'll be installing the IB in the attic and connecting it to the room via a manifold. The room connects to the kitchen and a small hallway and the entire space is approximately 3500 cf.

There isn't a fixed budget but I like to build things that get the best bang for the buck.

Here are the options I'm currently considering and the WinISD model:
2 -
Dayton 15" DVC385-88 subs powered by a 300W Yung - $340 - Purple
[*] 2 - Dayton IB15s powered by a 300W Yung - $360 - Green
[*] 2 - Dayton HO18s powered by a 300W Yung - $600 - Orange
[*] 2 - Dayton HO18s powered by a 1000W EP2000 - $740 - Yellow

Note there are HPF added to prevent over excursion at tested xmax of these speakers.

The front runner for me is the 300W Yung plate amp and two Dayton DVC385-88s. I've was considering the Dayton IB15s but the DVCs seem to be basically the same speaker and $10 cheaper. With the DVCs I'd just be powering one voice coil so they would allow me to adjust the Q of the system.

Stepping up the Dayton 18s (or SI 18s) doesn't gain anything in terms of output unless I throw a bunch more power both of which drive up the price significantly.

The subs will be paired up with some AudioReview DIY bookshelves powered by a basic Denon AVR.

I know this isn't a wall of 18s but do you think this will be enough output for music? My baseline is the pair of HSU VTF3-MK2 subs I have in my 1500 cf theater but I'm not sure where these would fall on the WinISD model. Normally the listening level isn't very loud but I do enjoy turning things up now and then.

The music that will be played most played in descending order Melodic Death Metal, Classic Rock, electronic music (DnB, EDM), classical, and rap / hip-hop.

Any suggestions or tips for an IB setup that will be 100% music?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-10-2013, 04:38 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
AVS is a fantastic place, however for IBs, one is best served perusing all the incredible information assembled over at the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled.

ThomasW has put together a super FAQ, that answers essentially every conceivable element to get you started on an IB.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #3 of 5 Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
3500 cubes is a decent sized space to fill with an IB.

I've got about 2600 cubes, and I built a quad 18 manifold IB, so I'm aware of what you're facing. For starters, you need to consider, like you stated, this is for music 100%. This changes your IB extension requirement somewhat. You don't need the 10hz infra playback that HTs can benefit from. That said, with the HP filter, you can safely utilize much more power for transient peaks, than the same IB for HT duty. That way, you'll have all the peak voltage for demanding material, yet no fear of bottoming that most IB users must always be mindful of.

In no circumstance would I use a plate amp. The Behringer EP2000, EP4000, INukes, all are so inexpensive, and ideally suited. Again, with the HP flter, the exact power level of the amp isn't an issue. I prefer any EQ'ing (HPing) be performed outside the amp, but there are DSP amp options like INuke, CrownXLS, etc.

The SI drives appear nice, but not a great deal of builds yet.

Are you familiar with Fi? Their IB-3 series is ideal for IB, and high performance, high value. I use four of the IB3-18, for around $250 a piece and 30mmXmax, they're well vetted, tough to beat. They're rated at 550w@20hz, so a pair would mate well with an EP2000, a set of four best with an EP4000.

The Dayton 18s would be great as well. Be mindful you'll need some EQ, and measurment and time/phase manipulation gear to align properly in time with mains. This will be critical, and the avenue to great sound. Audyssey or equivalent can do ok, but ideally some outboard time and freq EQing, and a modest measurment rig would be best.

Also, remember, your mains capability will dictate the real capability needed in the sub system. Peak demands are one thing, but unless your system is way out of balance spectrally, bass heavy, you'll only need whatever SPL your mains can produce at the lower end of their operating range.

Ar you considering a manifold, or a front loaded array?

Best of luck

Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #4 of 5 Old 01-10-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

AVS is a fantastic place, however for IBs, one is best served perusing all the incredible information assembled over at the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled.

ThomasW has put together a super FAQ, that answers essentially every conceivable element to get you started on an IB.

I second FOH!smile.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks FOH. I did a cross post over at the Cult and I've been reading a lot over there in the last few weeks.

I did look at the Fis. They just cost a bit more and I figured with the Dayton 18 if I'd be able to reuse them in a different application if I couldn't do another IB setup. I'll be doing a manifold. I'll get some SPL readings from my mains on my RS meter next week and post them. They are decent bookshelves but they can only do so much. ThomasW suggest quad Fi 18s but I highly doubt my mains can even come close to balancing out that amount of bass.

I've considered the Pro amps but I have a few issues with using them. Probably not insurmountable but just a bit of a hassle. As I understand it the Behringers all have built in fans that I would have to replace to make them acceptable and all my stereo gear currently resides in a nook / cubby hole that utilizes the space above a staircase. It doesn't look like the rack tabs come off so these units will be too wide for my space unless I hacksaw them off. I'd have to build some sort of wood facade to cover up the front.

I've been considering a used Feedback Destroyer for equalization but it runs in to a number of the same issues as the pro amps. I mainly listen through a Squeezebox Touch. There is a plugin that will let it use my computer's processor power for EQ work. I'll check that out before going with the Feedback Destroyer or the MiniDSP.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page