Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-11-2013, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hi all,

I am in the process of building a handful of SEOS/TD12M's for myself and have built a few different woofers and a pair of Statements. You can see in my signature.

I have a friend that is interested in putting together a home theater system over the next couple years. He's about to unload a on a Martin Logan System that includes Motion 40's with a Martin Logan Depth i subwoofer. He has emphasized that he really wants high SPL and excellent clarity. I have been trying to steer him in the DIY direction as he has myself and another friend who's a woodworker to help him.

He'll be coming out to visit me this summer to hear the SEOS/TD12M's and I'd probably have him purchase a kit on Erich's site, if he was interested. For the subwoofer I've told him to look at the Submersive or if he wanted to save some money I could help him build a Dual opposed Dayton 18" HO. He told me he wants incredible bass, something like my setup with my two dual opposed and Mal x, but he also wants it to be compact. He's very skeptical of the DIY route. My impression is he doesn't think it would come even close to Martin Logans in sound quality etc. Obviously he'll get a chance to listen to mine, but I just wanted other opinions. He's done a lot of car stereo work in the past, so I know he's not totally opposed to the idea.

My question is: Am I making a mistake pushing him in that direction? Will these kits stand up to ML's or are the just so different that you can't really compare?

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-11-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Tricky question. You're TD12 build is about perfect reproduction of sound. Some people don't like that to be honest. A Martin Logan owner may think his MLs are so "sweet" and "lively" when I hear sibilance because of a peak at 6khz and a ripple midrange. I dunno if that's how MLs sound, been to long since I've heard a pair. Just an example. Best thing is to let him hear yours and he can decide.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

He has emphasized that he really wants high SPL and excellent clarity. I have been trying to steer him in the DIY direction as he has myself and another friend who's a woodworker to help him.

I don't think that the goal of high SPL and excellent clarity necessarily draws a direct correlation to DIY. If budget is added to the mix then it does.

Obviously, that sub is not going to achieve high SPL. rolleyes.gif
post #4 of 5 Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograveconcern View Post

I don't think that the goal of high SPL and excellent clarity necessarily draws a direct correlation to DIY. If budget is added to the mix then it does.

Obviously, that sub is not going to achieve high SPL. rolleyes.gif

That's what I told him with regards to the sub.

I'll let him hear mine and see what he thinks. I think he's be quite happy with many other subs, but for mains, I've only heard electrostats once.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #5 of 5 Old 01-11-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Tricky question. You're TD12 build is about perfect reproduction of sound. Some people don't like that to be honest. A Martin Logan owner may think his MLs are so "sweet" and "lively" when I hear sibilance because of a peak at 6khz and a ripple midrange. I dunno if that's how MLs sound, been to long since I've heard a pair. Just an example. Best thing is to let him hear yours and he can decide.

+1

I think nudging him in the DIY direction is good but if he's not convinced when he hears your setup I would drop it. The last thing you want is to have him resent you if he does go DIY and isn't happy with the results.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page