Sonotube - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to this "DIY" vibe......I have always been Interested in acoustics when dealing with "home entertainment" since I was 15, I'm now 39. I have looked into Sonotube subs for the last 5 yrs. I have Always thought a circular chamber for a woofer would Always be dominate as far as efficiency. With All that said, I have a NAD 218 THX amp that I believe.......puts out 780 rms as of bridged. I also have a harmon kardon avr510.....(yeah, the stuff is old, but Rarely used).....(the nad amp is Still boxed away!!)...I also have bought some yamaha ns1000's monitors from my brother......they sound Oh So Good!.....I'm getting way off Topic!! Sorry!..

I was looking at building my own Sonotube with the Free software out there....http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/inspiration/index.htm...<(gotta give 'em kuddo's)......which would be a Sound Splinter RL-P12 sub enclosed, using pvc pipe.

My question is, do you guys......(which I Know have a hell of allot more experience than I)....would recommend this set-up or....not?.. I ask because the amp I have pushes 2x225 rms into 8. Any Tips???.....Would it be better to go one single tube or two.......(if you haven't guessed....I'm a Newbie.....) I can talk to ya about guns All day Long.....this Quality Sound stuff......is best left up to the professional's......You......

Thank You Very Much for Your Input............you guys Rock!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 869
What do you use the sub for more, music, movies, games?

How much space do you have for the subwoofer? Are you just wanting to do one?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #3 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

For all of the above. Also......I have always wanted to make and have one. .....just to see what I can get out of it. I have yet to see what my amp can do. It's Not a class A amp, but it's got some "fossil" style guts that can deliver some power. I'm going to get my brother's tube marantz, but I need something to make up for my monitor's. (some kick-but bottom end).... Thanks for the quick response.....cool!.....
post #4 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz deficit View Post

I am new to this "DIY" vibe......I have always been Interested in acoustics when dealing with "home entertainment" since I was 15, I'm now 39. I have looked into Sonotube subs for the last 5 yrs. I have Always thought a circular chamber for a woofer would Always be dominate as far as efficiency. With All that said, I have a NAD 218 THX amp that I believe.......puts out 780 rms as of bridged. I also have a harmon kardon avr510.....(yeah, the stuff is old, but Rarely used).....(the nad amp is Still boxed away!!)...I also have bought some yamaha ns1000's monitors from my brother......they sound Oh So Good!.....I'm getting way off Topic!! Sorry!..

I was looking at building my own Sonotube with the Free software out there....http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/inspiration/index.htm...<(gotta give 'em kuddo's)......which would be a Sound Splinter RL-P12 sub enclosed, using pvc pipe.

My question is, do you guys......(which I Know have a hell of allot more experience than I)....would recommend this set-up or....not?.. I ask because the amp I have pushes 2x225 rms into 8. Any Tips???.....Would it be better to go one single tube or two.......(if you haven't guessed....I'm a Newbie.....) I can talk to ya about guns All day Long.....this Quality Sound stuff......is best left up to the professional's......You......

Thank You Very Much for Your Input............you guys Rock!!

How big is the Pipe you are going to use?

I am building 2 sono's soon for my cabana outside. I have the pipe already.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-12-2013, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

The sonotube software (Sonotube V2.03) I am using says to cut the tube to 2'4. It's a 16" OD PVC pipe with a Sound Splinter RL-P12 woofer. The speaker specs say to keep it in within 2.5 c. ft. for vented. Well, when I entered these specs, the port size came out as 1' 6" long with a 2 1/2" ID......!!! Does that ID seem small? ....and, could I expect to reach 16.5 Hz.? Thanks for any input.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page