So I've given some thought to DIY'ing a sub for my HT setup (below). I've built ported boxes, sealed box, IB baffle, my false floor, etc for my car so I've got a little experience when it comes to building enclosures and such. My only issue is the finishing stages. I'd like something that's a piano black OR if it was a black vinyl look..it'd have to be good looking and not cheap (edges not matching, cheap vinyl, etc). I don't know much....anything basically lol...about finishing as this will be going in my house and I want it to look very nice. Room setup is:
20x18x10 = 3600cuft AND it's a more or less "open concept". Not enclosed like a basement (I can get pictures if needed to clear up things)
Now, I don't need to shake the entire house. Before this I had a PA-120 and at it's peaky as hell 50hz tune it was "decent", but not anywhere near what I want. My car has spoiled me and that wouldn't cut it, but I picked it up for like $60 I believe lol. I'm looking for something that will have great sound quality, but still be able to handle HT with authority when needed. I don't need a 15-20hz monster, but I would like something that is respectable in the 20's
I'm not sure what kind of enclosure I'm looking at here, but I'd like something that might be a little taller than normal and not stick out from the wall so far. I'd like something that isn't too deep (maybe 22-24") and DEFINITELY front ported so I can have it close to the wall. So let me get into a few questions and hopefully you DIY sub guys (and speaker for that matter) can really help me take off with some ideas. Thanks in advance btw!!
1. Is there anywhere that sells pre-made boxes with a nice finish already on them?
2. How hard is it to really put vinyl (or if there's some other common finish people use that looks nice) on a box??
3. I understand DIY can be for fun AND also as a money saver, but when going with something like a single 15" sealed (possibly ported unless it needs some crazy 6cuft or something)..would it just be better to pick up say..an Epik Empire for $700 or whatever they go for? Looking to stay closer to $500 or so if that's possible.
4. I've been looking at DIY's for a day or so, but seems like most are multiple sub setups OR HUGE lol. 4 18's, etc. I'm looking for something that will resemble stuff like the Outlaw LFM-1ex, Empire, pb-12/sb-12, etc
5. Are there any advantages of going with a separate amp like the Crown XLS stuff over a plate amp? Also, is the Crown XLS stuff good/common? Any recommendations would be great, but I understand it's kinda hard to say until we get some subs in the picture.
6. 15" sub idea's?? Again, would like to go sealed unless ported doesn't require a massive enclosure. Not looking for sheer output; something very musical, but that can still get down into 20's easily with authority