Plate amp vs. new sub vs. pro amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-11-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I am getting interested in building a sub. I have a PSW-505 and it is good enough but I would like to get more at some point. I know there is a lot of work that goes into building a quality speaker but for now i am trying to figure out the best amp for a project. my confusion is watts vs. price and what has the watts in these different amps really is. I relise watts are a mesure ment but still subjective to some point based on how they are measured by the compony. so My psw-505 price (189 dollars ) is a 475w peak 300w RMS i cant figure out how manny ohms that is measured at is it 4 or 8. the plate amps I see on parts express are rated at 300-500w RMS at 4 ohms priced 170-240$ . if the PSW-505 is at 4 ohms then the plate amps are way better deal if it is at 8 ohms would it be more cost effective to get cannibalise my PSW vs buying a plate amp.

A Pro amp would be great but I am not sure how there watts are measured is the Behringer NU1000 1000w at 4 oms bridged RMS or peak. I like this option but dont know how big to go and what the cost effectiveness is. If the pro amp is RMS it takes the cake. so i am just a bit confused and how crappy is something like Pyle-Pro PQA3100.

also 12" vs 15" drivers and decent wattage to push them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-11-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
First thing, I wouldn't believe any of polks claims. That sub struggles to reach 30Hz and doesn't have a whole lot of output capability. Basically, don't worry about comparing specs vs commercial products as they aren't equal. A competently designed DIY sub will absolutely stomp the Polk whether it's a 250 watt 12 or a 500 watt 15.

What's your budget and size restriction for a build?
post #3 of 5 Old 01-11-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 196
The Pyle = crappy.
A 15" driver dig deeper than a 12" of coarse with the proper power. That being said, it will take more power for a 15.
You need to decide what you want for an amp. If you go the pro amp way, you can add a second sub in the future if needed. The Behringer NU1000 you listed is 1000w @4ohms bridged. Keep in mind that you will need either a 1/4" or xlr male to rca cable for the pro amp to work with your avr. Me personally, I would go with the pro amp over the plate amp.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #4 of 5 Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thank you for your responses. I appreciate the help. A little history I was speaking to my dad about thinking it would be neat to build a speaker. he relied I always have thought that would be fun i have even bought a book on it. so I was thinking a sub would be the best start. my dad has a wood working shop and he is building kitchen cabinets so the wood working should not be a issue. Currently I am trying to figure out what my dad wants. any direction would be nice the room is approximately 15/24 ft with 8 ft ceilings. my first impulse to build would be a THT with a 15" but im not sure my dad is wanting that kind of budget. but would a 250-300w plate amp be enough to power that? if so we might try that I like the pro amp and will go that direction when I build my own stuff but I dont know that my father will justify the extra 100$.

If we do a plate amp i have looked at theDayton Audio SPA250 250W http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-803 or the Yung SD300-6 300W http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=301-510. I have been reading and its mixed on both people like the yung but it has a filter on it that people say is bad for subs i am a bit confused by this. which amp would work better. if it were just me and i had the bugget I would get a EP-4000 but thats another story.

if you have any advice on anything here any help would be gerat.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 196
For the THT either one of those amps will be enough. You do not need a lot of power for that sub. I must say that it would be perfect in that room because that is some what a large room to fill with bass. Also the THT is very cheap to build.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page