need help with several questions on sonotube build... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i am in the process of hopefully finishing up my build soon...and i could really use some direction on the following questions....some of these are trivial i am sure...but this is my first build and figured it is better to ask...

- i have primed and painted the top endcap flat black...do most people stop here or should i be placing some kind of coating over the flat paint...

- should i prime and paint the bottom endcap separately or after i have attached the endcap to the legs and the baseplate...

- i will be using 1 1/8" diameter round dowel legs...i imagine i can wood glue the legs to the bottom endcap...but should i just screw them into the baseplate...will one screw per leg be sturdy enough...

- for the binding posts...i used a 1/4" bit all the way through both endcaps and then used a 1/2" bit (?) to countersink the holes on the internal endcap...but this still does not leave much room for the wire terminal...can i just solder the wire right onto the binding post thread...or should i just work on making the hole larger and bend the wire terminal in a 90 degree angle upward...i have attached the link for the binding posts which i will be using...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=091-1245

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-12-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

wondering if someone can offer some advice...i would really appreciate it....i was hoping on finishing the above tasks by the end of the day...preferably before the playoffs start though...thanks...
post #3 of 8 Old 01-12-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I would paint the inside of the endcaps as well, unless you like the smell of MDF off-gassing. The legs should be sufficient, but I would suggest putting some felt on the bottom if they aren't going on carpet. One screw per leg should be fine, I have used furniture legs in the past, drilled and tapped the MDF, and screwed them in. ( doubled 3/4" baseplate ) The glue should be sufficient to hold them with a single screw.

Also, use 3 legs instead of 4, it will give you more stability, as it will always be flat, even if the floor is uneven. 4 will give it the ability to rock, if uneven.

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
post #4 of 8 Old 01-12-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds good...i will paint the insides of the endcap as well

Actually i was thinking of using only glue for attaching the legs onto the external bottom endcap...and then using only a screw for attaching the baseplate to the legs...how does this sound...

Also...any advice on the other points would help...
post #5 of 8 Old 01-12-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I would use a chisel and make the holes into a bit of a keyhole slot, so you don't have to bend the ring terminals 90 degrees, it will be less stress on them that way. You could solder the connection directly to the binding post possibly, but you would need a lot of heat, more than a normal iron would provide. I would suggest using the supplied nuts and a ring terminal instead. Paint the bottom after attaching the baseplate to the bottom endcap, that way you will have less chances of it getting scratched.

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
post #6 of 8 Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

sounds good...i will just make the hole larger in the direction towards the center of the endcap...i guess i figured that a soldering iron wouldnt be able to get the job done...

along with the other unanswered questions...could someone let me know if i can use another glue besides pvc primer/cement for attaching the pieces of the precision port together...thanks....
post #7 of 8 Old 01-13-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

PL adhesive would work, I assume you are using that for the endcaps? You could literally tape the parts together, epoxies would work, hot melt glue would also hold them together.

post #8 of 8 Old 01-13-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

thanks...yep...i will be using pl premium construction adhesive...i think i may just use that or i guess i could go with tape...

regarding my binding posts...i enlarged the hole on the internal endcap where the ring terminal will be...however...i have realized that i will not be able to make the hole large enough to properly tighten the nuts onto the post...not enough wood on the outer edge...

any suggestions...can i just wrap the speaker wire around the thread and maybe use some electrical tape...

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page