Liked: 11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 534 Old 03-14-2014, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question: Is it better to wire the sub in 4ohm so that it can take more power?
does it affect anything?
right now the lights are not clipping but getting a stinky smell from the driver.
I am just not sure if I should run MCAAC again?
I turned down the gain for now.

Anybody?
post #513 of 534 Old 03-15-2014, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I made mine stink but I was running it full out for quite a while. I've made it stink again but only a little bit.

I would double check to make sure you have it wired correctly. With dual 4 ohm voice coils you can only wire it as 8 ohm (two coils in series) or as 2 ohm (two coils in parallel).

If you have the ability to measure the response you might want to do that and post the graph here.
post #514 of 534 Old 03-15-2014, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the reply Chilort,

I triple checked wiring and it is driver wired in 8ohm ---> speakon --->Inuke in bridged mode ---> XLR/RCA ---> pioneer SC-65.

Gain knob in front of inuke was turned half way up and then ran MCAAC.

When done turned gain knob another 2-3 clicks (I like it hot biggrin.gif)

As for graphs, I do not have a mic yet and still do not know which one to buy, started reading rew....eek.gif and to be honest I was planning to do all of that this summer.

would it be better to wire it in 2 ohm?
I heard that you can set limiters, couldn't find how though? I do not know if that should be something I should do, Actually knowing myself....yeah that is something I should do tongue.gif
Any idea on the mic?
post #515 of 534 Old 03-15-2014, 10:21 AM

Update: There is a setting in the configuration remote app for the Inuke to set the OHM wiring of the speaker and that was not set.
Once I set it to 8ohm, it calculates the watts automatically and now I can get the volume all the way to +10 with no smell! cool.gif
I have a feeling a second one in the room might be in the near future.....biggrin.gif

Thanks John!

Now any idea what mic to get?
post #516 of 534 Old 03-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Minidsp Umik, if you're okay with waiting for one.
post #517 of 534 Old 03-15-2014, 08:03 PM

Yes, you need limiters. If you didn't hear any mechanical sounds you likely haven't damaged anything yet.

I am unfamiliar with the amp you are using.

Keeping the sub wired in 8ohms will put less strain on the amp.
post #518 of 534 Old 03-15-2014, 08:35 PM

thanks guys!

Limiters set.

I will get that mic since I do not mind waiting.
post #519 of 534 Old 03-15-2014, 09:35 PM

Liked: 19
I got mine from Herb at Cross Spectrum Labs. Took about a week to get here, which gave plenty of time to get REW and read up on it; couldn't be happier.
post #520 of 534 Old 03-16-2014, 07:02 PM

I'm also a user of the UMIK, miniDSP, and REW. Expert help from the forum and Mike were greatly appreciated. I still haven't really had time to play with REW as much as I want. But I'm getting ready to build up a set of mains, including crossovers, so I'll be learning more.
post #521 of 534 Old 04-05-2014, 11:20 PM

Liked: 17
So has anyone built one of these with an Eminence LAB15 driver yet? I just picked one up for $100 from Amazon and am trying to look for a cabinet to build for it, and this sounds like it might work. I saw a few comments earlier in the thread about the LAB15 being a possibility based on its specs, I was just curious if anyone had actually built one with it yet.
post #522 of 534 Old 04-20-2014, 05:03 AM

Liked: 10

I'm gonna build this sub, but it's my first one, and I know this isn't an easy first project, still I'm gonna do it.
Is the Behringer A500 with it's 375W RMS & 600W piek in bridged mode (8Ω) capable of driving an Alpine SWS-15D4 with a jumper (8Ω) wich is is 500W RMS & 1500W piek?
I like the amplifier above the INUKE because of it's silent working. It will be used for playing games and music, but I hope it will still have power enough to make my butt shake. xD
I'm now ordering the materials needed so tell me what you think, thanks :D

post #523 of 534 Old 04-21-2014, 06:38 AM

Bump.

post #524 of 534 Old 04-21-2014, 07:11 AM

Liked: 19
While I waited for my iNuke3000DSP to arrive, I ran one channel of an Emotiva UPA-7 (175W @ 4 ohm) to each voice coil of an SI15 D4 in a Lil'Wrecker. Output was substantial, but I can't say it was really in butt-shaking territory.

What will you do for EQ?
post #525 of 534 Old 04-21-2014, 10:31 AM

Well, I'll connect it to an Essence STX II 7.1  with some custom Op-Amps when it comes out :)
So, I'll control it with the sound card. Also my room is like only 7 x 16 so :P don't know what that will give, hope my room doesn't explode...

post #526 of 534 Old 04-28-2014, 06:04 PM

I have a question about the braces. It doesn't seem like adding windows to the braces would make a difference. When you look at a cross section of the horn, a center brace subtracts from volume which you don't get back with the windows. Does this sound right?
post #527 of 534 Old 05-04-2014, 07:15 AM

I laid out this design in Solidworks and it looks like adding internal corners would help the sound flow better through the horn and strengthen the corners. I also thought the voids in the corners could be filled with expanding foam. Note that the corners do not change the volume of the horn, the are scaled to the smallest opening in the corner, they just eliminate the large dead volume in the corners.

post #528 of 534 Old 05-04-2014, 05:58 PM

the issue with that is that in many cases, the "dead Volume" can be beneficial, because it adds to the horn volume.

generally you want horn reflectors when you have paralel panels seperated by a straight horn flare that are at least 3 feet apart, as they can cause standing waves in the sub passband.
post #529 of 534 Old 07-09-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hey guys, i'm hearing some weird sounds coming from my new lilwrecker. Hoping someone can shed some light on what to look for. This was my first sub build. I think it went alright, but I had one brace loose that I've fixed with a few extra 4" screws. I'm using an alpine SWS-15D2 and a inuke 3000. Feeding a miniDSP from my pioneer receiver. I have the alpine wired in series at 4ohms and am using a single channel of the inuke. I've done a few measurements in REW and the response looks fairly similar to what i've seen posted in this thread. My problem is that there's a noise at any volumes above quiet when playing sinewaves or music. After some googling I think the best way to describe it is a plastic bag noise, it sounds like a plastic bag vibrating. It's really hard to pinpoint where it's coming from but it sure sounds like it's the driver and not the cabinet. Running it at low volumes in open space doesn't produce the sound, but i've been a little hesitant to push it too hard when it's not in an enclosure, not sure if that's hard on the driver or not.

I sure don't think i'm clipping as I've checked the output of my minidsp with a cheap oscilloscope and i don't see any distortion in the sine waves. I've remounted it a few times and no change. I'm using the gasket included with the alpine, i haven't tried the duct seal stuff yet. I can feel air movement on the front side of the driver in the mouth, but it doesn't seem to be coming from the mounting holes. I'm not sure what to expect since this is my first sub.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could look for? Even if they seem overly basic, i don't know what kind of damage to look for on a driver.

Thanks
post #530 of 534 Old 07-09-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Cat climbed inside ?? There's another dude on here that happened too... lulz.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #531 of 534 Old 07-10-2014, 07:24 AM

Haha no, but i saw his post. It gave me hope for being able to fix my rattling brace.
post #532 of 534 Old 07-10-2014, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborJayhawk View Post
Hey guys, i'm hearing some weird sounds coming from my new lilwrecker. Hoping someone can shed some light on what to look for. This was my first sub build. I think it went alright, but I had one brace loose that I've fixed with a few extra 4" screws. I'm using an alpine SWS-15D2 and a inuke 3000. Feeding a miniDSP from my pioneer receiver. I have the alpine wired in series at 4ohms and am using a single channel of the inuke. I've done a few measurements in REW and the response looks fairly similar to what i've seen posted in this thread. My problem is that there's a noise at any volumes above quiet when playing sinewaves or music. After some googling I think the best way to describe it is a plastic bag noise, it sounds like a plastic bag vibrating. It's really hard to pinpoint where it's coming from but it sure sounds like it's the driver and not the cabinet. Running it at low volumes in open space doesn't produce the sound, but i've been a little hesitant to push it too hard when it's not in an enclosure, not sure if that's hard on the driver or not.

I sure don't think i'm clipping as I've checked the output of my minidsp with a cheap oscilloscope and i don't see any distortion in the sine waves. I've remounted it a few times and no change. I'm using the gasket included with the alpine, i haven't tried the duct seal stuff yet. I can feel air movement on the front side of the driver in the mouth, but it doesn't seem to be coming from the mounting holes. I'm not sure what to expect since this is my first sub.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could look for? Even if they seem overly basic, i don't know what kind of damage to look for on a driver.

Thanks
It sounds like an air leak to me.

I'm betting that the driver isn't properly sealed to the baffle. Try some duct seal on the gasket and make sure that the screws are snug.
post #533 of 534 Old 07-14-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post
It sounds like an air leak to me.

I'm betting that the driver isn't properly sealed to the baffle. Try some duct seal on the gasket and make sure that the screws are snug.
Thanks! You were right, got some duct seal on there and it worked like a charm. Should have taken your advice the first time you posted, guess I was just too eager to hear the thing! It sounds awesome, now I just need to find where to put it to flatten out my room response.
post #534 of 534 Old 07-14-2014, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Glad it was an easy fix.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page