Lilmike's LilWrecker - Page 21 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #601 of 624 Old 01-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Member
 
mfagains's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@lilmike ;
Thanks for your time and effort to design such a great sub. I am looking forward to building one in the spring and rocking the house for real...

I'm currently using an "old school" AudioPro B2-50 dual 6.5" push-pull which I have had for a long time.... it still rocks down to 25 Hz, I just feel like these "new" movies coming out have so much bass information that I am missing...... time to upgrade.

May the Bass be with you.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	audio_pro_b2-50.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	462090  

Last edited by mfagains; 01-05-2015 at 09:26 PM. Reason: formatting
mfagains is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #602 of 624 Old 01-24-2015, 05:25 PM
Senior Member
 
superedge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbo View Post
Despite the cheap price of the drivers, if you add up the cost of drivers and wood, you may have better options....
Are you referring to my question about how many lilwreckers with type S drivers can an Inuke 6000dsp run? I am all ears if there are options out there that can save me time and money. I am currently planning to use 4 lilwreckers. I'll be enclosing these into an attic space, so they have to be perfect for the job.
superedge88 is online now  
post #603 of 624 Old 01-24-2015, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Stumbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post
Are you referring to my question about how many lilwreckers with type S drivers can an Inuke 6000dsp run? I am all ears if there are options out there that can save me time and money. I am currently planning to use 4 lilwreckers. I'll be enclosing these into an attic space, so they have to be perfect for the job.
Good info in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1861842-lilwrecker-large-ported-dayton-18ho-full-marty.html

Last edited by Stumbo; 01-24-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Stumbo is online now  
post #604 of 624 Old 01-24-2015, 11:27 PM
Senior Member
 
superedge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbo View Post

Thanks for the link, I do appreciate it. I am still thinking that 4 lil wreckers will do great, the only thing that I will still entertain is a more powerful driver than the Alpine Type S so that I could have more head room.
superedge88 is online now  
post #605 of 624 Old 01-25-2015, 07:16 AM
Member
 
mfagains's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post
Thanks for the link, I do appreciate it. I am still thinking that 4 lil wreckers will do great, the only thing that I will still entertain is a more powerful driver than the Alpine Type S so that I could have more head room.
@superedge88

The drivers that work with this box are on the FIRST PAGE.....

The Fi Q15 is a more powerful driver.....
mfagains is online now  
post #606 of 624 Old 01-25-2015, 10:42 PM
Senior Member
 
superedge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfagains View Post
@superedge88

The drivers that work with this box are on the FIRST PAGE.....

The Fi Q15 is a more powerful driver.....
Thank you for the recommendation, I understand that it is a more powerful driver, but it makes me worried when it has been untested... or should I not worry?
superedge88 is online now  
post #607 of 624 Old 02-03-2015, 12:53 PM
Senior Member
 
superedge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can the lilwrecker be used in conjunction with the microwrecker? An area of the attic that I need to use for placement of subs is not optimal for placement of two stacked lilwreckers as I had previously planned. I can instead fit 2 or 3 microwreckers. One lilwrecker would be in a completely different area of the room, 2 or 3 microwreckers would be coupled together in the other part of the room. So I could utilize my receiver's dual sub EQ and EQ the microwreckers seperately from the lilwrecker. I figured this shouldn't be an issue since they are both tapped horn subs, but just want to make sure.
superedge88 is online now  
post #608 of 624 Old 02-03-2015, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
Stumbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post
Can the lilwrecker be used in conjunction with the microwrecker? An area of the attic that I need to use for placement of subs is not optimal for placement of two stacked lilwreckers as I had previously planned. I can instead fit 2 or 3 microwreckers. One lilwrecker would be in a completely different area of the room, 2 or 3 microwreckers would be coupled together in the other part of the room. So I could utilize my receiver's dual sub EQ and EQ the microwreckers seperately from the lilwrecker. I figured this shouldn't be an issue since they are both tapped horn subs, but just want to make sure.
You could do that. How will you be powering/eqing them?
Stumbo is online now  
post #609 of 624 Old 02-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Senior Member
 
superedge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbo View Post
You could do that. How will you be powering/eqing them?
I'll be using an Inuke 6000DSP to power them and an Onkyo PR-SC5508 receiver with dual sub EQ. Seems like the build cost of the microwrecker and lilwrecker is pretty low. I love my THT, but hate that the access to the woofer is behind a panel that MUST be sealed in order for it to work correctly. I love the idea of being able to access the woofer in these tapped horns from the mouth, makes for snugging down the woofer easy and worry free.
I also love the idea of being able to use a single amplifier since these are high efficiency designs. Since the Inuke can run 8 lilwreckers, I assume that it can run 8 microwreckers with the alpine type S driver?
superedge88 is online now  
post #610 of 624 Old 02-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Stumbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post
I'll be using an Inuke 6000DSP to power them and an Onkyo PR-SC5508 receiver with dual sub EQ. Seems like the build cost of the microwrecker and lilwrecker is pretty low. I love my THT, but hate that the access to the woofer is behind a panel that MUST be sealed in order for it to work correctly. I love the idea of being able to access the woofer in these tapped horns from the mouth, makes for snugging down the woofer easy and worry free.
I also love the idea of being able to use a single amplifier since these are high efficiency designs. Since the Inuke can run 8 lilwreckers, I assume that it can run 8 microwreckers with the alpine type S driver?
Yes 8 alpines to one nu6000.

Building the boxes of the little wrecker is the most expensive part, at least $170 each.

Since the lil wrecker and micro need different HPFs, your mixing and matching won't work well with a nu6000dsp.

Last edited by Stumbo; 02-03-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Stumbo is online now  
post #611 of 624 Old 02-03-2015, 10:08 PM
Senior Member
 
superedge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbo View Post
Yes 8 alpines to one nu6000.

Building the boxes of the little wrecker is the most expensive part, at least $170 each.

Since the lil wrecker and micro need different HPFs, your mixing and matching won't work well with a nu6000dsp.
Gotcha, I didn't realize that the inuke didn't have the option to select different filters for different channels. I'm going to do some crawling around in the attic and see what I may be able to squeeze into some spots. I am still holding out hope for 4 lilwreckers if I can fit them in.
superedge88 is online now  
post #612 of 624 Old 02-03-2015, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
Stumbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post
Gotcha, I didn't realize that the inuke didn't have the option to select different filters for different channels. I'm going to do some crawling around in the attic and see what I may be able to squeeze into some spots. I am still holding out hope for 4 lilwreckers if I can fit them in.
You can, but there are only 2 channels to work with.
Stumbo is online now  
post #613 of 624 Old 02-03-2015, 10:59 PM
Senior Member
 
superedge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbo View Post
You can, but there are only 2 channels to work with.
Then it's no problem to run a lilwrecker on one channel and microwreckers on the other channel, or am I missing something? I can use a combination of series and parallel wiring to make sure that the amplifier is seeing the correct resistance on either channel.
superedge88 is online now  
post #614 of 624 Old 02-04-2015, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
Stumbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post
Then it's no problem to run a lilwrecker on one channel and microwreckers on the other channel, or am I missing something? I can use a combination of series and parallel wiring to make sure that the amplifier is seeing the correct resistance on either channel.
Sure! With 3 sws15d4 You'll get a 6 ohm load which is about 1600 watts from a nu6000, or ~530 watts per infinity. Should be loud!

With 3 sws15d2 you'll have a 12ohm load and ~800 watts, or ~280 watts per box. This will probably be 2 or 3dbs quieter. However, if you decide to add a 4th, you'll have a nice 4ohm load to get the full 2200 watts from the NU6000!

Either the d4 or d2 will need a gain limiter set from the nu6000 on your single lil wrecker.

One option would be to go with the the nu4-6000 and a 2x4 balanced minidsp. This will give you 4 independent channels to work with and a lot more flexibility.
Stumbo is online now  
post #615 of 624 Old 02-21-2015, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
cecaa850's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just smoked an Alpine driver. Would THIS work? http://www.soundqubed.com/HDS315_p_229.html

120@20@14'
cecaa850 is offline  
post #616 of 624 Old 02-22-2015, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lilmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 2,203
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
I just smoked an Alpine driver. Would THIS work? http://www.soundqubed.com/HDS315_p_229.html
Dunno, incomplete specs.

If I assume an Sd of 825, an Re of 8R, and an Le of 8 mH, it actually models pretty well.



I have no idea how close those values are to "reality" though. Without real measured specs, it is a bit of a risk.

1500 W will take it 10 mm past xmax (14 mm one way), but that suspension looks stiff enough to keep the moving parts out of the stationary ones. I have no idea what the xmech is on that driver though.

---EDIT

OK, with "proper" parameters, things don't look nearly as rosy. BL is lower, and as a result, Qes is higher.



Maybe not a deal-breaker on the response prediction, but there's more to a good result than a flattish frequency response. As I've "been there and done that" with respect to using an undermotored driver like this in a tapped horn, I would not recommend it at all. I'd suggest a different driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDS315.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	560593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	563465  

Last edited by lilmike; 02-23-2015 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Embed image, update post and embed second image
lilmike is offline  
post #617 of 624 Old 02-23-2015, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
cecaa850's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
These should be actual parameters.

Model: HDS315
* Piston Diameter = 330.2 mm
* f(s)= 35.66 Hz
* R(e)= 7.27 Ohms
* Z(max)= 68.69 Ohms
* Q(ms)= 7.836
* Q(es)= 0.927
* Q(ts)= 0.829
* V(as)= 56.730 liters (2.003 cubic feet)
* L(e)= 8.87 mH
* n(0)= 0.26 %
* SPL= 86.33 1W/1m
* M(ms)= 361.60 grams
* C(ms)= 0.06 mm/N
* BL= 25.20

120@20@14'
cecaa850 is offline  
post #618 of 624 Old 02-23-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 25,906
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
http://www.parts-express.com/tc-soun...oofer--293-662

plus with a 10% coupon ^

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #619 of 624 Old 02-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
cecaa850's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Thanks but I need the amp to see a final load of 8 Ohms.

120@20@14'
cecaa850 is offline  
post #620 of 624 Old 02-23-2015, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 25,906
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
You can't run 4ohm ?
What amp?

BTW that link wasn't specifically for you.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #621 of 624 Old 02-23-2015, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
cecaa850's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
You can't run 4ohm ?
What amp?

BTW that link wasn't specifically for you.

I almost felt special for a moment

120@20@14'
cecaa850 is offline  
post #622 of 624 Old 02-23-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 25,906
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
I almost felt special for a moment

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #623 of 624 Old 02-23-2015, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
cecaa850's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I feel better now!

120@20@14'
cecaa850 is offline  
post #624 of 624 Old Today, 03:00 PM
Newbie
 
bryan.lynch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Maple Valley, WA
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Subscribed
bryan.lynch is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off