Lilmike's LilWrecker - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 73Likes

post #811 of 833 Old 10-21-2016, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Thanks for taking the measurement. I made no effort to level-match or anything, just overlaid them quickly to determine how things matched up.

Not bad. Looks to me like there are some room effects and a lowpass in play, but the peaks and troughs match up pretty well to the predictions.

Hope you enjoy the sub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LW SWR 15 comparison plot.JPG
Views:	973
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1727673  

Last edited by lilmike; 10-21-2016 at 11:24 AM. Reason: fix pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 833 Old 10-21-2016, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow just got done reading through the entire thread and I haven't really known about these tapped horns until now. of course I've got the bug and just have to build one for myself. I'm still trying to get a grasp on how loud these things are. I'm thinking of putting one of these in my living room that is open to my kitchen. My living room is quite large at about 9300 cu ft not including the kitchen. Any thoughts on how well this will fill that space? Currently I have one old alpine type R 10" in a sealed inclosure that just doesn't cut it by any means. I just recently bought my house and also just am recently getting more into some halfway decent sounding home theater. I have emptek r55ti towers and of course I wonder if those will not be enough and that I will have to build some better towers to pair with my lilwrecker. Anyways enough rambling, any thoughts one how this would fill the space of my living room? I know some people have multiples of these for half the space that I am trying to fill. I want the full frequency range the tapped horn provides but I don't feel like i need to massage my internals with enough bass to make my kidneys explode. Also is there anyone in Utah that has one that wouldn't mind me taking a listen?
post #813 of 833 Old 11-09-2016, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Curious to know if anyone here has re-folded this design into something that is roughly half the height and double the length? I am trying to re-fold on my own, but just cannot get it right. Hoping someone else might have a bit more luck that I.

Thanks in advance,

post #814 of 833 Old 11-11-2016, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urapnes1 View Post
Curious to know if anyone here has re-folded this design into something that is roughly half the height and double the length? I am trying to re-fold on my own, but just cannot get it right. Hoping someone else might have a bit more luck that I.

Thanks in advance,
Not really possible to fit all of what I did inside this design in a single folded design.

If you're twice as high and half as deep, there is only room for a single fold, which unless you complicate things, means a single flare rate. This design has 3 or 4 separate flare rates (can't remember, it has been a while).

That said, if you dig a little, the single fold designs are out there. Though Chassmain did the heavy lifting, I helped a bit with this design:

Wanted BIG BASS: Big room open to an even bigger room with lots of windows!

Due to the limitations of sheet stock, he stayed with an 8-foot long cabinet. There are plenty of ways to join stock to make a larger cabinet if you wanted to go that route.

Honestly - it would probably be easier to roll your own design along these lines to fit your space than to try to refold the lilwrecker.
post #815 of 833 Old 11-11-2016, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post
Not really possible to fit all of what I did inside this design in a single folded design.

If you're twice as high and half as deep, there is only room for a single fold, which unless you complicate things, means a single flare rate. This design has 3 or 4 separate flare rates (can't remember, it has been a while).

That said, if you dig a little, the single fold designs are out there. Though Chassmain did the heavy lifting, I helped a bit with this design:

Wanted BIG BASS: Big room open to an even bigger room with lots of windows!

Due to the limitations of sheet stock, he stayed with an 8-foot long cabinet. There are plenty of ways to join stock to make a larger cabinet if you wanted to go that route.

Honestly - it would probably be easier to roll your own design along these lines to fit your space than to try to refold the lilwrecker.
Thanks LM. I'll keep looking.
post #816 of 833 Old 11-11-2016, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Whoa long thread. Awesome subs!
post #817 of 833 Old 11-21-2016, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is there anywere I can compare output between different elements?
post #818 of 833 Old 12-03-2016, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bumping this for coffee time tomorrow,
post #819 of 833 Old 01-06-2017, 08:04 AM

Mike how do you think the new FI Q Neo will perform in there?

http://www.ficaraudio.com/product/q-series-q15neo/
post #820 of 833 Old 01-09-2017, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hadn't seen the Neo motored Q. Specs look solid, but still no mention of Le.
post #821 of 833 Old 01-10-2017, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Would be great if this was designed with minimal inductance but this is car audio so I wont hold my breath. Looks nice though.
post #822 of 833 Old 01-10-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post
Hadn't seen the Neo motored Q. Specs look solid, but still no mention of Le.
Will it fit? Alot deeper then the old one
post #823 of 833 Old 01-10-2017, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Suppose I should have checked that.

Nope, that driver will not physically fit inside the LilWrecker as I folded it. The mounting depth (minus the frame thickness) is the same as the cabinet dimension. When I add an inch for the frame depth, there's no way.
post #824 of 833 Old 01-16-2017, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
First post at AVS

First; thanks LilMike for sharing this awesome build, greatly apreciated.

Then my question; i built a Lilwrecker some time ago, and its great, however i sometimes get a "hollow boxy" sound on the low frequences, only from a LFE track, never from frequency sweeps.

I use a Inuke 3000dsp in dual mono (not bridged) and the Alpine SWS15D4 in 8ohms.

The noise get worse with a lower high pass (i use the inuke trick with shelving filters) so with the high pass on estimated 17hz (12db butterworth) i have to play pretty loud to hear the noise, but if i move HP down to 10hz it's pretty bad even on moderate SPL. i would guess around 80-85db, seing your measurements i believe 10hz @ 100db++ should not be a problem?

I have also changed gasket from the original rubber to a neoprene one without any noticable change.

Bear in mind that this is my first sub, and with limited experience i do not know how to find the problem...

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
post #825 of 833 Old 01-18-2017, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrune View Post
First post at AVS

First; thanks LilMike for sharing this awesome build, greatly apreciated.

Then my question; i built a Lilwrecker some time ago, and its great, however i sometimes get a "hollow boxy" sound on the low frequences, only from a LFE track, never from frequency sweeps.

I use a Inuke 3000dsp in dual mono (not bridged) and the Alpine SWS15D4 in 8ohms.

The noise get worse with a lower high pass (i use the inuke trick with shelving filters) so with the high pass on estimated 17hz (12db butterworth) i have to play pretty loud to hear the noise, but if i move HP down to 10hz it's pretty bad even on moderate SPL. i would guess around 80-85db, seing your measurements i believe 10hz @ 100db++ should not be a problem?

I have also changed gasket from the original rubber to a neoprene one without any noticable change.

Bare in mind that this is my first sub, and with limited experience i do not know how to find the problem...

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Just thinking, could this be the "moving rubber thingy" (no idea what its called in english) toching wood with big excursion? The clearance from the rubber to the cutout in the baffle is aprox 5mm or 1/5"
post #826 of 833 Old 01-18-2017, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 207
It's tuned to 17hz, so under that point you're reaching the excursion limits of the driver, like a ported design, it's unloading. You want the HPF at 17ish hz to protect the driver
post #827 of 833 Old 01-18-2017, 07:22 AM

Ok, thanks.

How steap HPF will be required? Is 6db Bw sufficient?
post #828 of 833 Old 01-29-2017, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am looking in building two pico's, but I live in Europe. Apparently, the Alpine SWS 10D2 isn't distributed here, so I would need to get it from US. Including import duties, shipping etc. price is about 230 euro to get 2 here.

The SWR 10D2 is however better available and is currently on sale in the UK, so I can get 2 for 270 euro.

I compared specs and it seems like the SWR is just a better version of the SWS.

differences (SWR/SWS)
sensitivity 82/85 (here the SWS is better I guess because it has less mass)
freq response 26-200 / 28 - 200 (win for SWR)
RMS power 300-1000 / 150 - 500 (win for SWR)
Peak 3000 / 1500
VAS 18 / 25 (here i'm worried, as the box is calculated on this)
Fs 31 / 35 (less chance to break the SWR I guess)
Qts 0,51 / 0,49 (not clear, small diff?)
Xmax 20 / 15 (win for SWR on durability)
post #829 of 833 Old 01-29-2017, 04:13 AM

The Lilwrecker will require a 15" woofer like sws-15.
I am quite shure it have been mensioned earlier in the thread that the swr is not suited for this build

DIY ER18MTM, DIY custom Overnight Sensation, DIY LilWrecker DIY Hypex poweramps, Denon AVR X6200W, Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...und-atmos.html
post #830 of 833 Old 01-29-2017, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I see i'm actually mistaken and should have posted in the picowrecker topic... but I guess the same applies there, will get my question there, apologies!
post #831 of 833 Old 04-03-2017, 09:13 AM

So lil Mike, speaking of Alpine for this setup, you recommend the type "s" here. I recently purchased the type "R" . In your opinion will the motor be too stiff? And will the xmax be enough?
post #832 of 833 Old 04-11-2017, 03:38 AM

Okay so I finally finished my first lil wrecker. So far, I'm loving it! It does wreck things! (Already broke a few decorative candles by vibrating them off of the shelves.) So I am still playing with my system tune, I have a ported sub also for the higher tune (35-80hz area) so still working on blending. My wrecker seems to roll off early above 30 Hz it seems to fall off fast. Anybody else experience this? @lil Mike, is there something I may have failed to build correctly? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks all, love the forum.
alamez likes this.
post #833 of 833 Old 09-10-2017, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79horn View Post
Okay so I finally finished my first lil wrecker. So far, I'm loving it! It does wreck things! (Already broke a few decorative candles by vibrating them off of the shelves.) So I am still playing with my system tune, I have a ported sub also for the higher tune (35-80hz area) so still working on blending. My wrecker seems to roll off early above 30 Hz it seems to fall off fast. Anybody else experience this? @lil Mike, is there something I may have failed to build correctly? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks all, love the forum.
read my post (#810) ive done it also on R instead S ... http://aijaa.com/426bMF here's the measurements .. in corner this horn goes nicely to 11hz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page