Sony 12" Xplod subwoofer from Wal-Mart & the Xploders - AVS Forum
DIY Speakers and Subs > Sony 12" Xplod subwoofer from Wal-Mart & the Xploders
imagic's Avatar imagic 09:13 PM 01-13-2013
I've had a good run with Sony's inexpensive and rather versatile 12" subwoofer, the XS-GTX121LW. In 2012 I managed to collect 12 of them and incorporated them into my 'sump basin' subwoofers and my refurbed/modded main L/R speakers - the Xploders. The biggest issue with the drivers is the tacky XPLOD logo on each one. Today I took a leap of faith and attempted to remove the logo with acetone. It worked perfectly - the acetone revealed a considerably more attractive silver cone - turns out the entire cone's surface was a layer of paint!

As a result, the drivers went from looking like this:

xploder1sm.jpg

To this:

I am generally pleased with their quality and versatility. Now I can actually stand to look at them as well.

For anyone who is curious, here's a very rough close-mic reading off of one of the drivers. These subs need to be properly measured but this offers a hint of how they perform.

bass addict's Avatar bass addict 10:18 PM 01-13-2013
Well that looks a thousand times better.
tuxedocivic's Avatar tuxedocivic 09:14 AM 01-14-2013
That looks so much better!

Anychance you can repost that FR with a better vertical scale. Maybe 60db to 140db with 5db increments. Thanks for posting this.
imagic's Avatar imagic 10:34 AM 01-14-2013
Yes sir, here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

That looks so much better!

Anychance you can repost that FR with a better vertical scale. Maybe 60db to 140db with 5db increments. Thanks for posting this.

tuxedocivic's Avatar tuxedocivic 11:23 AM 01-14-2013
Thanks!
Up
Mobile  Desktop