DIY sub to best SVS PC13-Ultra - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 98 Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes I ordered 2 of the 18's but am planning to try sealed. Not sure if 2 single cabinets or one dual opposed. I think the wife will help make that decision when she sees the size of the drivers and box plans.smile.gif Several pros for sealed: No high pass filter, no port chuffing, smaller box ect. Probably just being lazy but did not like what modeling was showing for port velocity and such. With Inuke6000 for just the 2 drivers I should have some decent head room. Another thing that made me consider sealed was that data-bass has measurements for SVS PB13 ultra as well as a sealed DIY build with the dayton 18's. The single sealed 18" dayton had higher output at 10hz and 12.5hz and across the board except SVS was better at 16,20 and 25hz. With 2 18 dayton's the SVS gets destroyed as far as output is concerned. We will have to see how sound quality is compared to SVS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
I just bought an iNuke 3000 dsp. The 6000 is esentially 2 of the 3000s stuck together. smile.gif $329 shipped on ebay.
post #93 of 98 Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I am selling my Crown K2 at the moment. I think I might have to grab an iNuke to keep in reserve instead!cool.gif

Plus I will have money left over!tongue.gif

post #94 of 98 Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_b_23 View Post

I just ordered a new inuke6000dsp for less than half what any of the bigger amps were costing. I will only use it to power 2 drivers with 4 ohms stereo which should be plenty of power. If I end up wanting to run more than 2 drivers I will buy the LG clone amp from Johnson at sanway. Going to pick up MDF, glue and a few more clamps tomorrow. Still not sure if I am going to do dual opposed or 2 single boxes yet. Drivers should be here on Friday so maybe I will get inspired when I see them and make up my mind sooner.

Quote:

Yes I ordered 2 of the 18's but am planning to try sealed. Not sure if 2 single cabinets or one dual opposed. I think the wife will help make that decision when she sees the size of the drivers and box plans.smile.gif Several pros for sealed: No high pass filter, no port chuffing, smaller box ect. Probably just being lazy but did not like what modeling was showing for port velocity and such. With Inuke6000 for just the 2 drivers I should have some decent head room. Another thing that made me consider sealed was that data-bass has measurements for SVS PB13 ultra as well as a sealed DIY build with the dayton 18's. The single sealed 18" dayton had higher output at 10hz and 12.5hz and across the board except SVS was better at 16,20 and 25hz. With 2 18 dayton's the SVS gets destroyed as far as output is concerned. We will have to see how sound quality is compared to SVS.

You obviously purchased the D4 18's, so you can run four subs total on the iNuke. Might as well go ahead and scoop up those other two so your amps second channel doesn't get lonely, or bored by running 8ohm stereo... Just sayin... smile.gif

The LG Clone is out since you are running D4's. If quads aren't sufficient, no big deal to pick up another iNuke.

post #95 of 98 Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
I got the dayton RSS460HO-4. They are 4 ohm. I am planning to run one to each channel of the amp. If I do decide to run dual opposed I will just put a second pair of binding posts on the box.

The speakers and parts showed up today. Wow those are really nice looking well made drivers. They are also huge! If nothing else at this point they look loud just sitting there.biggrin.gif Hope to start on box or boxes Monday. Amp should be here on Wednesday. Hoping to have something ready to hook up by then.
post #96 of 98 Old 01-26-2013, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:

I got the dayton RSS460HO-4. They are 4 ohm. I am planning to run one to each channel of the amp. If I do decide to run dual opposed I will just put a second pair of binding posts on the box.

The speakers and parts showed up today. Wow those are really nice looking well made drivers. They are also huge! If nothing else at this point they look loud just sitting there.biggrin.gif Hope to start on box or boxes Monday. Amp should be here on Wednesday. Hoping to have something ready to hook up by then.

My bad. Gotcha.

So, you are going to run 1,800 watts to each HO. Well...at least you aren't going to be amp limited.

post #97 of 98 Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I think you'll want to use a high pass with that much power.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #98 of 98 Old 01-26-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

So, you ordered two of the Dayton RSS460HO-4 correct?

If you are trying to mimic the SVS, you are going ported right?

I've been doing some M&S on this scenario, and I keep thinking 2 x 4" ports about 29" long for a tuning freq of 18 Hz is just about where I'm at. That's a 22x23x32" box, and the ports will need a 90 degree elbow. I'm wanting to use thin-wall PVC "sewer pipe" but it can be hard to find. The regular schedule 40 PVC is 4.5" OD and eats up a lot of internal volume. (about 0.6 cubic feet!)

A single 6" port might be nice but it would have to be even longer. About 33". 1130 cubic inches displaced

Watch your port velocity with such small ports, a safe number is in the mid teens in m/s. Whats your tuning freq?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

http://forum.speakerplans.com/behringer-inuke-nu6000-vs-kam-kxd7200-bench-tested_topic69202_page1.html

Pretty impressive for the money involved here. Of course they won't hold a handle to the LG clones in 4 ohm stereo, but they are ~double the cost too.

Ya, for the money, that is the bomb. I may have to order one myself, 12 lbs!?!?!? WTF?!

Class D = feather light. Kinda disappointing when you pick up that beast and it only weighs as much as a disc player wink.gif All disappointment should abade once you power it up though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

^^^I rocked an iNuke 6000DSP, definitely powerful enough for any ordinary subwoofer ($1,000 super-subs exempted). If all you've got is a 15 amp line, it'll just about max out your circuit. Digs deep, I ran sine waves as low as 4hz and a sweep that started at 1hz. Handled everything. Fan mod, that's all I can say. And don't accidentally wire it 2 ohms eek.gif just be careful it's not as fault-tolerant as more expensive amps i.e. you can break it. That's the other thing I know from 'personal experience'. Not the amps fault.

^^+1 all this.

Those bridged channels cant tolerate impedance goofs.

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page