FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

i think i"ve heard what i thought was real clean, undistorted broad bandwidth reproduction that left me wanting very little more. it all depends on your taste. now, on the other hand if you set out a reference of numbers and criteria then that changes everything and my system would probably fall short somewhere.....

+1

I've got that, w/ Seaton Cats and a quad 18" IB, and two SubMersives, .. in a quite modest, single sweet-spot, 70's ranch family room. I've got all the linear output I essentially need. I mean dynamics, nuance, .. it's basically all there. But, I'm still working on ideally integrating things as a whole. The room, it's all about the room, and my room possesses some asymmetry it's still a work in progress. With a hallway door, in the front wall up near to a five foot tall Seaton Catalyst eek.gif , things are less than ideal. The entire system though, gets so much use and is immensely enjoyable.

I'd doubt anyone here uses there system any more than I do. Love it. Lately, with teen-age kids, I'm getting introduced to a lot of new music. Good music, that otherwise wouldn't get noticed by me.

Holy Grail, nope ... not yet, workin' on it.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 139 Old 01-29-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

I would say that the criteria would be:

1) It must have vanishingly low distortion throughout the audible-band (at least).
There should be no significant hiss, hum or ground-loop.
It shouldn't sound digital or digitized, i.e. 8-BIT sampling for example tongue.gif LOL
No listener fatigue, even after 2 to 8 hours non-stop.

2) As wide a bandwidth as possible, at least 20 to 20khz (or better).

Those two aren't optional IMO.

3) As high a dynamic range as obtainable. (One might consider THX Ref level as a minimum criteria for this; sounds reasonable to me.)

Basically, being "as true to the source as possible", preferably be an exact replica (within reason).
I want to be able to have my ears 'fooled' into thinking that I'm listening to a human singing in my room directly, not a "human via a mic, undigitized and amped through speakers" (even though deep down we all know that that is what it is).
If it were a true blind test condition I ideally wouldn't want to be able to tell that it was a reproduced simulation vs the real thing.

(Note: There is no live-performance equivalent of computer generated music, such as techno. So there are limits to that generalization. Let's not over-analyze things to that degree.)

The first 3 are measurable metrics, the rest is (more or less) subjective and varies by individual (and their past experiences / knowledge domain).

For me, that about sums it up; and hits all the key points I could think of or wanted to make.

I feel that I am there, to a large degree. (There are still quirks, it's not perfect, but there is no major roadblocks IMO.)
Not sure if you can tell from my videos or not...

I already have all that and I measured to prove it with sine waves. I spent way less than most! I still picked no such thing because there is always better and people will change their preferences from time to time. I need to get a really nice CD and play a video. I think my old mediocre CD's sound great, I would love to hear a great recording on my system.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
post #93 of 139 Old 01-29-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I'm 70 this year and got into this hobby late in life. I was 63 when I bought my first set of floorstanding speakers for my 55" Sony. Wife didn't want them in the living room so I took her to a marriage counselor and after 4 visits, I got my speakers. Been going ever since. I now have 25 boxes stored in my barn from all the subwoofers I have gone through in the past 7 years. Whenever I sold a sub, no body wanted the boxes except for a few who wanted shipping. I kind of think that I am at the point to settle with what I have, but always wonder what DIY would do for me in the area of subwoofers. We all chase that SQ that first got us into this mess to start with. Mine was the early Saturday morning mattinee at the local theater with the big monitors booming out the bass of the "Blackhawks" landing the planes on the runway at their secret airstrip. Pretty impessive bass for a 8 year old espiecally when you listened to Terry & the Pirates, Superman and the Blackhawks on the radio and early TV (round tube screen) wasn't any better with the audio.
post #94 of 139 Old 01-29-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 449
I'm shocked that 89% voted: no and that 9% of those, gave up even trying eek.gif
and only 11% "do-have", and that only an extra 19% beyond that said "yes-experienced it, but it ain't theirs." eek.gif

I'm not sure how many of the 44% are just semi-happy or just semi-unhappy, vs fullblown-unhappy (nearly on the edge of giving up) but...
I'm going to read that as: 70% have never been truely happy with ANY sound system they have EVER heard. (more or less).

I commend everyones honesty...
but I'm begining to think (no offence) that everyone here is either unhappily-lost or is suffering from "must have better" OCD.

I feel very fortunate now, to be amoungst the 6 select few people that are saying "do-have / very happy with their system".
Either that, or us 6 need to be more picky. Ignorce is bliss. hehe biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

I'd doubt anyone here uses there system any more than I do. Love it. Lately, with teen-age kids, I'm getting introduced to a lot of new music. Good music, that otherwise wouldn't get noticed by me.

Holy Grail, nope ... not yet, workin' on it.

I listen to roughly 2000-2800 hours of music a year on my home system (i.e outside of work) and have been doing that for about 11 years now.
Divide that by 365 or 52 eek.gif
Lots of time to apply tweek-adjustments biggrin.gif
post #95 of 139 Old 01-29-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

BassThatHz,

You don't even own B&W's best speakers so how can you say you have the holy grail? To me I would at least have to have the best of a companies product that I love. That is just me and some of my criteria. I have measured(sine waves) and I have low distortion at reference levels, very dynamic, ultra clear, non fatiguing, ultra detailed and room feeling sound. I still say there is always better.

AVR-Yamaha A830
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
post #96 of 139 Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

BassThatHz,

You don't even own B&W's best speakers so how can you say you have the holy grail? To me I would at least have to have the best of a companies product that I love. That is just me and some of my criteria. I have measured(sine waves) and I have low distortion at reference levels, very dynamic, ultra clear, non fatiguing, ultra detailed and room feeling sound. I still say there is always better.

Jesus was a carpenter. I bet he could design/build a heavenly speaker/enclosure.

Upon listening to this devine creation, one would begin to reverse age and be cured of any illness they had.

Until this time, we mere mortals are not worthy of the "Holy Grail."
post #97 of 139 Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1801 Post(s)
Liked: 3115
The Holy Grail is a humble carpenter's cup, not a gilded goblet. I'd say the DIY approach helps music and movie lovers come much closer to the 'Holy Grail' of sound than some $500,000 monstrosity of a system, marketed to billionaires. Choose wisely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Jesus was a carpenter. I bet he could design/build a heavenly speaker/enclosure.

Upon listening to this devine creation, one would begin to reverse age and be cured of any illness they had.

Until this time, we mere mortals are not worthy of the "Holy Grail."

Mark Henninger
post #98 of 139 Old 01-29-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

BassThatHz,

Did Robert mean by "Holy Grail", as in a reversal of time to a younger age when
he/we had a better experience?

Or did he mean, "the best sound-system an individual has ever heard to date"?

Or did he mean, "a sufficiently good-enough level to be satisfied with the result of our own system?"

Or did he mean, "the obtainment of the highest-tier most-expensive gear of the most top-self maufacturer's"?
i.e. "the best sound-system in the world PERIOD"?

We have to define "some" parameters to this thing...

Othewise logic such as "never say never/always something better", could just be stated, self-invaliding all positive votes.
I would say that we should NOT speculate what the future may bring (because we all know something better will eventually cooked up.)
Can we at least agree to the ignoring of the "never say never/always something better" constraint?

IMO, I think Robert meant the "present-day", "here-and-now" technology, when he asked for votes/feedback. I also don't think he meant to ask, if everyone has the "worlds-best-ever system" either.

We'd probably all love to have 1000 LMS's and RE-18's, and maybe Bill Gates has exactly such a system... (1 out of 7 billion percentile) but I don't think that is the intent/purpose of Robert's thread/poll.
post #99 of 139 Old 01-29-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I agree. More money does not always get you better but within the same company it usually does. I have a full blown DIY system so I only can compare it to what I have owned and heard.

AVR-Yamaha A830
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
post #100 of 139 Old 01-29-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't want to speak for Robert here, (and correct me if the following is not accurate), but I think his intent was to ask if:

Anyone is happy with their systems performance. and if not, if they then had at least heard-of/experienced/knew-of a system that they were happy with.
(Or if not happy, at least bring back the nostalgic moments of their younger days.)
Something to that effect.

and to that I answered: yes.

Not because I want to own an array of B&W Nautili... or 800D's (I do), nor whether that would be much better than my system's current level/config (yes it most probably would).

MKtheater, as soon as we apply a requirement of needing to have the worlds-best equipment from a given manufacture; then that automatically excludes 99.999% of AVS members from the poll, as almost nobody does.

It's ok if you have that as your personal standard of holy-grail, I wish your wallet well if that is indeed true...but you cannot really expect many to make it over the bar if set that sky-high, most people simply don't have the budget or appetite to adopt such a thing.
The 3 basic criteria I listed is a reasonable measuring stick of success (if any such thing exists).
Lack of distortion being the top one IMO.

Say for example, if someone's system didn't reach to 23hz audibly. That might be reasonable grounds to reject such a system from "holy-grail" to the general populace.
Or if their system gave them listener fatigue, reasonable grounds to rejected.

Say for example, owning only Axis subs instead of LMS Ultras (a top-tier product of a manufacturer), is not reasonable grounds to be rejected from "holy-grail" status by the general populace. (From an individual's opinion perhaps, but not the general populace. Unless the Axis was a complete failure say.)
post #101 of 139 Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Or did he mean, "a sufficiently good-enough level to be satisfied with the result of our own system?"

Or did he mean, "the obtainment of the highest-tier most-expensive gear of the most top-self maufacturer's"?

Othewise logic such as "never say never/always something better", could just be stated, self-invaliding all positive votes.
I would say that we should NOT speculate what the future may bring (because we all know something better will eventually cooked up.)
Can we at least agree to the ignoring of the "never say never/always something better" constraint?

IMO, I think Robert meant the "present-day", "here-and-now" technology, when he asked for votes/feedback. I also don't think he meant to ask, if everyone has the "worlds-best-ever system" either.

We'd probably all love to have 1000 LMS's and RE-18's, and maybe Bill Gates has exactly such a system... (1 out of 7 billion percentile) but I don't think that is the intent/purpose of Robert's thread/poll.

I quess I personally was after whether anyone was ever satisfied and very very happy with any system they owned or heard - ever. But! I guess I was also after whether it takes the ultimate system in anyones opinion to achieve that feeling. I have been into sound for about 40 years now. I have experienced the "Grail" on many occassions. Oh! It might nothave been the most expensive or most powerful or the flattest, but for that moment in time it was the end all in sound and those feelings are amazing.

For instance, there have been times when certain passages in Pink Floyd's Pulse DVD are played, and on your average system or radio, it is nice and the sounds are very pleasing. However, in my HT, and especially since I added my LMS cabinets, My mouth actually waters when listening to Comfortably Numb. It happens every time. Definitely a Pavlovian situation going on , but it only happens when I can feel the music as well as hear it. Happens to me at concerts all the time and that is what I was looking for when I built my system.If anyone knows what "Flow" is, they can start to understand what I am saying.

Flow is the mental state of operation in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of the activity. In essence, flow is characterized by complete absorption in what one does. Proposed by Mihály Csíkszentmihályi, the positive psychology concept has been widely referenced across a variety of fields.[1]

According to Csikszentmihalyi, flow is completely focused motivation. It is a single-minded immersion and represents perhaps the ultimate experience in harnessing the emotions in the service of performing and learning. In flow, the emotions are not just contained and channeled, but positive, energized, and aligned with the task at hand. To be caught in the ennui of depression or the agitation of anxiety is to be barred from flow. The hallmark of flow is a feeling of spontaneous joy, even rapture, while performing a task[2] although flow is also described (below) as a deep focus on nothing but the activity – not even oneself or one's emotions

When we focus so intently that everything around us is ignored and the goal at hand is the only thing that matters- time seems to slow down and things start to be very Like I was saying before, measurements are great, but the smiles across your face are what I think defines the pinnacle of this hobby. Got to go help with homework- back soon.

Keep cranking,

Robert
post #102 of 139 Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1801 Post(s)
Liked: 3115
Hey Robert, I most certainly have as per your definition above. I might even achieve it tonight, I have a new New Order album to listen to.

Mark Henninger
post #103 of 139 Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are on point here!

Good job.

Keep cranking,

Robert
post #104 of 139 Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey Robert, quick question about the Pulse DVD. Do you find it to be heavy in the bass dept? If I had to describe that DVD the word "thick" comes to mind. Other DVD's I have are more airy and sound a bit transparent.

I will say I could. would and do make a lot of HT purchases based on how Comfortably Numb sounds from the Live 8 DVD. I don't think there is a better sound than when Dave comes in on the chorus with "There is no pain, you are receding. A distant ship smoke on the horizon..." If the system is good that gives me chills every time.

OK, not to get topic off topic here but I've got every concert DVD of Gilmour and Waters including their solo shows and the Live 8 concert. My wife thinks I am nuts when she hears 8 different versions of the same song! When it comes to just audio I must have this one playlist of Cnumb that has about 20 different versions, some from Roger doing it during The Wall tour, a 11 minute version from the Pulse tour in New Orleans and a one off 1984 earthquake benefit that Dave did.

Here are a few.....it's the best song ever to me.

Live 8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jySUpMqmzd4

Rare benefit with Dave and Roger...RARE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naXxXSfIqMI

1984 benefit Gilmour
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQR09agGEDA

AOL sessions Gilmour
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLxDppv1dRw

David joining Roger during 2011 The Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd13L7r07og

2012 The Wall performance w/ Robbie Wyckoff on vocals and David Kilminster on guitar...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG5-w-m5Y-4

Want more???
post #106 of 139 Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will say I could. would and do make a lot of HT purchases based on how Comfortably Numb sounds from the Live 8 DVD. I don't think there is a better sound than when Dave comes in on the chorus with "There is no pain, you are receding. A distant ship smoke on the horizon..." If the system is good that gives me chills every time.

I have that DVD set and it truly is mesmerizing. I get the same feelings with that also. Very good set.

Keep cranking,

Robert
post #107 of 139 Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

Hey Robert, quick question about the Pulse DVD. Do you find it to be heavy in the bass dept? If I had to describe that DVD the word "thick" comes to mind. Other DVD's I have are more airy and sound a bit transparent.

OK, not to get topic off topic here but I've got every concert DVD of Gilmour and Waters including their solo shows and the Live 8 concert. My wife thinks I am nuts when she hears 8 different versions of the same song! When it comes to just audio I must have this one playlist of Cnumb that has about 20 different versions, some from Roger doing it during The Wall tour, a 11 minute version from the Pulse tour in New Orleans and a one off 1984 earthquake benefit that Dave did.

Live 8

1984 benefit Gilmour

AOL sessions Gilmour

2012 The Wall performance w/ Robbie Wyckoff on vocals and David Kilminster on guitar...

Want more???

Looks like we are on the same level of thought here as far as this music. I have the same desire to hear all the renditions. The ability to play as a unit is so entrenched in Pink Floyd- It is phenomenal. I have a lot of Rush ( Vital Signs happens to be one, Mystic Rhythms another) and Def Leppard ( Hysteria in the round) that gives me those feelings, also.

Keep cranking,

Robert
post #108 of 139 Old 01-30-2013, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was looking up the old Master Reference subwoofer and I found this. It goes down to 27 Hz. I bet it sounds great, but would it be enough for most of us? Also, the $25000 to get the 27 Hz seems a bit pricey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y041TkAu3Kk

Keep cranking,

Robert
post #109 of 139 Old 01-30-2013, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcharles View Post

I was looking up the old Master Reference subwoofer and I found this. It goes down to 27 Hz. I bet it sounds great, but would it be enough for most of us? Also, the $25000 to get the 27 Hz seems a bit pricey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y041TkAu3Kk

Keep cranking,

Robert

It's cute...
post #110 of 139 Old 01-30-2013, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

It's cute...

Sure is!

Keep cranking,

Robert
post #111 of 139 Old 01-30-2013, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Live 8

1984 benefit Gilmour

AOL sessions Gilmour

Want more???

By the way, I want to hear these kinds of stories. I think that we all have these same kinds of feelings about music and movies although they might not be the same genre. This kind of discussion allows us to expand our musical tastes and helps us to understand what drives each of us to design and build the systems we envision. So, there is no such thing as on or off topic here. The Grail might not only be the system itself, but the experience that goes along with it.

My most favorite musical work of all is Beethoven's 9th Symphony- The "Ode to Joy." Just about 1 hour of intensity that is beyond compare. All the bells and whistles are employed in this Opus, as well as voice. I never get enough of this timeless classic.

Another great one is "Tubular Bells" - Michael Oldfield; also , "Oxygene" - Jean Michel Jarre.

Give those last two a whirl. I would love to save the 9th for myself, but be my quest and enjoy. Each rendition is unique and has its own nuances- Beethoven made notations as yo how it should be played- as composers do, but, Molto vivace can be 132-140 beats per minute, so depending on who is the conductor, the work may be in a faster or slower tempo. I happen to enjoy the versions where the slow passages are played somewhat slow and the faster passages are played somewhat on the slower side.

Keep cranking,

Robert

Oh! Forgot about the Pulse. I really think the Pulse DVD sounds totally different in my HT than it does in my Living room. I think the sound is quite good given that is was recorded almost 20 years ago- the video a little grainy, but no HD back then. I have the Pulse on VHS, and it is not even close to being able to compare the 2. I never really noticed any thickness but the pants shaking and the pressure wave that results in my HT are by far superior to my Living room setup and that definitely lends to the experience of this being such a great performance. Also, I have my LMS cabinets crossed at 50 Hz. That might be part of it.

I like to be able to listen to my DVD's without a subwoofer/LFE and be very pleased. Then, when adding the LFE/subwoofer, I tend to be happy with the results.

Keep cranking,

Robert
post #112 of 139 Old 01-30-2013, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just got finished listening! Great recording- it has a lot of the old flair in it. I did not get any sleep tonight. I am in a Pink Floyd/Gilmour can't get enough state. I am listening to the Roger Water's Wall concert with Gilmour as I type. Hard to explain, but this hobby can be very addictive.

Keep cranking,

Robert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QporsAFc6Vg

Check out Nick Mason's drumming. I showed my brother this video a few years back and he told me that he remembers seeing them back in those days and I just thought that was so cool. I have so many great memories of bands because of him. I went to a ton of places and saw a lot of bands with him.
post #113 of 139 Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
My first ever chills moment was in my first viewing of The Art of Flight BD. Not only is the picture quality the best of any disc I have, the soundtrack from front to back is my absolute favorite too. I still everytime my system is dialed in go to the first chaper of this disc to test. Tonight might be the next try with it and as much as I am loving my new mains, I literally can't get home fast enough again today to have another extended listening/watching session.

RC, I want to get a PF bluray disc, that has Comfortably Numb on it. You have I imagine, sold several discs with all your talk of the band, as I have sold probably dozens of The Art of Flight disc since i first posted about it the NIGHT it came out after my first watch (I had preordered it as soon as I knew I was able to, waited 3 years for it to come out smile.gif ). is the pulse available in BD form? Is that the best one to get IYO? I want to just run down the street to BB and see what they have, so give me a few options of your top picks, not including huge disc sets or the like...Thanks man!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #114 of 139 Old 01-30-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

My first ever chills moment was in my first viewing of The Art of Flight BD. Not only is the picture quality the best of any disc I have, the soundtrack from front to back is my absolute favorite too. I still everytime my system is dialed in go to the first chaper of this disc to test. Tonight might be the next try with it and as much as I am loving my new mains, I literally can't get home fast enough again today to have another extended listening/watching session.

RC, I want to get a PF bluray disc, that has Comfortably Numb on it. You have I imagine, sold several discs with all your talk of the band, as I have sold probably dozens of The Art of Flight disc since i first posted about it the NIGHT it came out after my first watch (I had preordered it as soon as I knew I was able to, waited 3 years for it to come out smile.gif ). is the pulse available in BD form? Is that the best one to get IYO? I want to just run down the street to BB and see what they have, so give me a few options of your top picks, not including huge disc sets or the like...Thanks man!

I do not have any experience with Bluray concert discs. I can only say that if you want to rock out to some serious tunage, go for Pulse- the whole disc is amazing, Rush - Time Machine 2011-Vital Signs is fabulous. Also, Rush in Rio- The drum solo is one of the best! If you happen to like Def leppard- Hysteria from In The Round In Your Face is wonderfully intoxicating-more from the guitar work Steven Clark- gone too soon! Also, Dire Straits On The NIght is worth the price of admission- Mark Knoffler is the king at picking the strings you have to watch how effortlessly he plucks the strings to understand what I am saying- no pick- The whole disc is just a musical buffet!

Keep cranking,

Robert
post #115 of 139 Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just ordered Art of Flight on BD via Amazon. Looking forward to checking it out.

I do wish I could get a copy of that demo BD disk that everyone has, I think originally from ScubaSteve? If anyone can burn me a copy please let me know!!
post #116 of 139 Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Just ordered Art of Flight on BD via Amazon. Looking forward to checking it out.

I do wish I could get a copy of that demo BD disk that everyone has, I think originally from ScubaSteve? If anyone can burn me a copy please let me know!!

Just watched the trailer for Art of Flight. I love it. I have some IMAX DVD's- Everest and Grand Canyon have very similar film techniques. I am going to get the Art of Flight with my next order from Amazon.
post #117 of 139 Old 01-30-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Beast,

If you can get Dire Straits, Make sure you take a close look and listen to Brother's in Arms- Very Poignant! Definitely a must have for the music lover. Plus on that disc, there is some serious saxophone playing going on. I would give it a 5 star rating for musical enjoyment-1 star for lack of Sultan's of Swing. The original Live Aid DVD set has some great performances and Sultan's being one of them and Eric Clapton (Layla) another.

Keep cranking,

Robert
post #118 of 139 Old 01-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Quote:
Rush - Time Machine 2011-Vital Signs is fabulous. Also, Rush in Rio- The drum solo is one of the best! If you happen to like Def leppard- Hysteria from In The Round In Your Face is wonderfully intoxicating-more from the guitar work Steven Clark- gone too soon! Also, Dire Straits On The NIght is worth the price of admission- Mark Knoffler is the king at picking the strings you have to watch how effortlessly he plucks the strings to understand what I am saying- no pick- The whole disc is just a musical buffet!

RUSH: Have two copies already, haha, had three somehow.

Def Leppard: I will check this one out for sure. My second fave BD right now is Steve Vai's latest, and guitar is my instrument, anything with shredding solos is what I am all about.

Dire Straights: I have the best of mark KnoPfler and Dire straights disk which has brother in arms, and a few other REAL goodies. Why aye man, and my personal favorite, what it is, are both on there and they are go-to tracks for me as well. A visual representation would be killer.
Quote:
Just watched the trailer for Art of Flight. I love it. I have some IMAX DVD's- Everest and Grand Canyon have very similar film techniques. I am going to get the Art of Flight with my next order from Amazon.

Eh, similar yes, but AoF was filmed with the same cameras they used to film planet earth, and between that, the ridiculous shredding T-Rice and those guys are capable of, and the soundtrack, it is a 5 star film all the way through and through. Looks to be coming out in 3d pretty soon as well, I will get it just to experience it that way as well. At this point, I think Red Bull owes me some royalties to introducing it to the AVS community as every single person I have suggested it to has gotten it, loved it, and in some cases use it as their ultimate audio/video reference disc. Truly amazing stuff smile.gif

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #119 of 139 Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

RUSH: Have two copies already, haha, had three somehow.

Def Leppard: I will check this one out for sure. My second fave BD right now is Steve Vai's latest, and guitar is my instrument, anything with shredding solos is what I am all about.

Dire Straights: I have the best of mark KnoPfler and Dire straights disk which has brother in arms, and a few other REAL goodies. Why aye man, and my personal favorite, what it is, are both on there and they are go-to tracks for me as well. A visual representation would be killer.
Eh, similar yes, but AoF was filmed with the same cameras they used to film planet earth, and between that, the ridiculous shredding T-Rice and those guys are capable of, and the soundtrack, it is a 5 star film all the way through and through. Looks to be coming out in 3d pretty soon as well, I will get it just to experience it that way as well. At this point, I think Red Bull owes me some royalties to introducing it to the AVS community as every single person I have suggested it to has gotten it, loved it, and in some cases use it as their ultimate audio/video reference disc. Truly amazing stuff smile.gif

The brother in arms live on the on the night disc is very cool- a definite must see
post #120 of 139 Old 01-30-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 115
What i heard was far from perfect from a measurement point of view but it had incredible sound stage and I honestly couldn't tell you were the speakers were in the room and it had great dynamics. It was a pair of Wilson Audio Maxx 3 running on Audio Research monoblocks.

Is it a system I would ever buy?
No
Why?
Because I need a system that is good for movies AND music
Is there better?
Most likely but it is the system that got me hooked on high end audio and I have not experienced it again. However, I have not attended any audio shows or gone to any dealers for a "demo" ever since.

Edit: I am convinced though by my many reading here an DIY that I can have that sound again with horns...which I plan to build when I can finance it.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page