Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 139 Old 01-30-2013, 05:05 PM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 730
wow, yea those are beautiful speakers, and lets all face it, we push for a flat response, and I would be willing to bet that 8 out of 10 don't actually prefer a flat response. Is it what was originally intended? yes, i guess, but many of the top-notch consumer products build out different response curves to differentiate their offerings. Me personally, I aim for flat, but then tweak to taste. My perfect system has a more serious house curve down low and a gradual one up top. I am prone to hearing speakers as "harsh" if the mid to mid-upper frequencies are flat, so I cater to my own tastes. Fortunately the human ear, and many listeners don't know this, but a good U-shaped response in the khz range of a speaker makes it sound more "full". I didn't say "everyone" just a good portion of folks fall under this category. case in point, tube amps tend to "warm" up the sound by addition small amounts of distortion where the human ear perceives it as a more full bodied sound. Far from perfect, but not a part of me is either, including my ears.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 139 Old 01-30-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

as I have sold probably dozens of The Art of Flight disc since i first posted about it
You sure did bro! I had heard about it prior to you DEMO'ing it to me but man, seeing it in your system was freaking GREAT! First thing i did when i got back home was to order it up on AMAZON. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

I do wish I could get a copy of that demo BD disk that everyone has, I think originally from ScubaSteve? If anyone can burn me a copy please let me know!!
I have the Scubasteve disc but no burner. frown.gif

However i did download the SUPER LEO REFERENCE disc last week to a flash drive. It plays perfectly on my Oppo 103! Its got a bunch of the same scenes as the Scubasteve disc.

My Quad LMS Ultra 5400 Build:

post #123 of 139 Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 PM
The Truth Hz

E, glad you are enjoying AoF!!! As I said, I literally posted a thread while I was watching it for the first time to spread the good word!!!

On another note, I have 4 of the 8 SI 18ht's going right now with the SEOS build I just finished and I want to change my answer of whether or not I have heard the holy grail...I have it. Right now, and ALL DIY for that matter. This is the best I have ever heard my system, or any other, and I still have 4 more SI's to get downstairs somehow. The bass is smooth, I measured 100dB's at 10hz with only 4 in, and that was at -10 on the AVR!!!! One channel of the fp14k only. yes, the LFE channel needed to be level matched, but I am just sayin, even with four, they were NOWHERE close to their potential, four more will be the end-all-be-all...massive headroom, a killer amp to run them, and mains that aren't even breathing with a 60hz XO to the subs biggrin.gif At this point I am more concerned about my house's foundation than I am my hearing. Put that in your sig folks biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

post #124 of 139 Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

E, glad you are enjoying AoF!!! As I said, I literally posted a thread while I was watching it for the first time to spread the good word!!!

On another note, I have 4 of the 8 SI 18ht's going right now with the SEOS build I just finished and I want to change my answer of whether or not I have heard the holy grail...I have it. Right now, and ALL DIY for that matter. This is the best I have ever heard my system, or any other, and I still have 4 more SI's to get downstairs somehow. The bass is smooth, I measured 100dB's at 10hz with only 4 in, and that was at -10 on the AVR!!!! One channel of the fp14k only. yes, the LFE channel needed to be level matched, but I am just sayin, even with four, they were NOWHERE close to their potential, four more will be the end-all-be-all...massive headroom, a killer amp to run them, and mains that aren't even breathing with a 60hz XO to the subs biggrin.gif At this point I am more concerned about my house's foundation than I am my hearing. Put that in your sig folks biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Glad to hear you are getting the right feeling from these drivers. What is the LFE system that is being used in total consist of?

Keep cranking,

Robert

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine....Must it be? It must be!

post #125 of 139 Old 01-31-2013, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:

C'mon beast! You had to bust out the "foundation" comment... I know it's good at getting the point across, but that's like nails on a chalk board to me...haha

Be sure to take a before picture of your foundation so you can document the damage for us… biggrin.gif

Super stoked that you absolutely love your SEOS and SI combo! Doesn't get any better than that… The more I see as those damn TD12X, the more I love the look of them.

post #126 of 139 Old 01-31-2013, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:

Awesome! Like I was saying to you and Austin, wait until you get all 8 hooked up to the FP14. You will have more power/headroom that you will really use. Epic!!

post #127 of 139 Old 01-31-2013, 07:31 AM
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcharles View Post

Glad to hear you are getting the right feeling from these drivers. What is the LFE system that is being used in total consist of?

Keep cranking,

Robert

RIght now I have four Stereo Integrity 18" subs, in dual opposed boxes, running off a single channel of an FP14k clone. I have four more that will go in the same, and on the other channel, just haven't built out boxes for them yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Awesome! Like I was saying to you and Austin, wait until you get all 8 hooked up to the FP14. You will have more power/headroom that you will really use. Epic!!

I know right! I am halfway tempted tonight to drag up the ole LLT sonos, chop the tops off, remove the ports, and make some new endcaps/top baffle and have the other 4 ready for a new home. it would basically be a downfiring/upfiring D.O. sono similar but not as good looking as the blackbirds. That would literally take me one evening to complete and then I could have all 4 running, albeit not in the exact boxes I had originally thought...

post #128 of 139 Old 01-31-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Since you guys were talking about concert BR's/DVD's

This should be owned especially if you are a fan of musicianship. Even if you don't know who they are. It is that good. The mix is fantastic and the drum performance alone is worth the purchase. Demo quality stuff. This is one of my go to's.

Porcupine-Tree-Anesthetize-Blu-ray

post #129 of 139 Old 01-31-2013, 12:17 PM

Liked: 21
Yes but not till I upgraded my cables to Nordust Valhalla. A real bargain!
post #130 of 139 Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 2285
I am so glad you said that, now I can post this link to the funniest article I have read in so, so long. You sure you don't want the Odin? 98% speed of light propagation!

Anyhow, prepare to laugh: http://www.stereophile.com/content/music-or-sound
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd68 View Post

Yes but not till I upgraded my cables to Nordust Valhalla. A real bargain!

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
post #131 of 139 Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Since you guys were talking about concert BR's/DVD's

This should be owned especially if you are a fan of musicianship. Even if you don't know who they are. It is that good. The mix is fantastic and the drum performance alone is worth the purchase. Demo quality stuff. This is one of my go to's.

Porcupine-Tree-Anesthetize-Blu-ray

Agree'd. I love PT. I was so bummed when I sold my old SACD player with the Absentia disc still in it. frown.gif Looks like it's going to cost me 75+ to replace it.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #132 of 139 Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I am so glad you said that, now I can post this link to the funniest article I have read in so, so long. You sure you don't want the Odin? 98% speed of light propagation!

I plan to use the Odin in my 11.3 home theater rig at my house in the Hamptons!
post #133 of 139 Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Did you know that Jason is a professional whistler and uses his whistling for healing purposes?
Quote:
Jason frequently uses his whistling for healing purposes. He regularly performs in pioneer dancer/choreographer Anna Halprin's annual Planetary Healing Dance atop Northern California's Mount Tamalpais.

You can also order cassettes and CDs of his whistling. biggrin.gif
post #134 of 139 Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well guys, now with 8 18" subs and the JTR Triple 12LF's I am one significant step closer to the holy grail of sound. Haven't run Audyssey yet and just breaking in the newest subs but damn it sounds good!!
post #135 of 139 Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

Well guys, now with 8 18" subs and the JTR Triple 12LF's I am one significant step closer to the holy grail of sound. Haven't run Audyssey yet and just breaking in the newest subs but damn it sounds good!!

Sounds like you are very pleased with the results.

Keep cranking,

Robert

post #136 of 139 Old 02-02-2013, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So, how are the multiple SI's turning out? Are we getting closer to the Grail with the multiple driver setups?

Keep cranking,

Robert

post #137 of 139 Old 02-03-2013, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 73
There is no holy grail, but I have heard two systems (1 once, 1 many times) that are superb and I consider them the best I've ever heard, including a couple of $200-500K system that were dreadful in comparison.
William's Unitys and Terry's Franks )post 63 onwards).
post #138 of 139 Old 02-04-2013, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

There is no holy grail, but I have heard two systems (1 once, 1 many times) that are superb and I consider them the best I've ever heard, including a couple of $200-500K system that were dreadful in comparison.
William's Unitys and Terry's Franks )post 63 onwards).

So, what would a system have to have in it or what would you have to experience for it to be considered an ultimate experience?

Keep cranking,

Robert

post #139 of 139 Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

With all the new builds coming into being and all the woofage that has been utilized, I hope to see a bunch of smilies and Yes votes for the Grail.

Keep cranking,

Robert

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page