help me make a decision on outside finish - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speaker3.pdf 28k .pdf file

Please see attached, the front panel only will be gloss black already working on that part, I also built an outer shell shown in grey of attached photo. The shell was made more for looks it will allow me to wrap it in a material and tuck it under and then slide the box inside of it they are not attached at this point.

I find it hard to imagine what different materials would look like so I figured I would see what others think.

I already have Black Ash Vinyl Laminate that I purchased a while back and never used.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=261-610

but I recently came across 3M Carbon Fiber Vinyl which has great reviews,
http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/?gclid=CMbEl8-g6LQCFQWe4Aod00kAww

The corners will be rounded plus the material will be folded over the front of the shell and tucked under, so the material must be flexable, I plan to use one piece with a seem on the bottom so it should look very clean.

what do you guys think

thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Speaker3.pdf (28.3 KB, 32 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-14-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Okay, I am really digging the 3M Carbon Fiber Vinyl, and 3M usually makes really good quality stuff... I think that would look different and be very cool. Tough call, but I vote for the 3M Carbon Fiber wrap smile.gif
pjoseph24 likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-14-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoseph24 View Post

Speaker3.pdf 28k .pdf file

Please see attached, the front panel only will be gloss black already working on that part, I also built an outer shell shown in grey of attached photo. The shell was made more for looks it will allow me to wrap it in a material and tuck it under and then slide the box inside of it they are not attached at this point.

I find it hard to imagine what different materials would look like so I figured I would see what others think.

I already have Black Ash Vinyl Laminate that I purchased a while back and never used.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=261-610

but I recently came across 3M Carbon Fiber Vinyl which has great reviews,
http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/?gclid=CMbEl8-g6LQCFQWe4Aod00kAww

The corners will be rounded plus the material will be folded over the front of the shell and tucked under, so the material must be flexable, I plan to use one piece with a seem on the bottom so it should look very clean.

what do you guys think

thanks

I'd go with the 3M. I used the laminate on some speakers and my wife is making me redo them because she doesn't like the look.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #4 of 17 Old 01-14-2013, 05:18 PM

Liked: 13
I actually just got done wrapping all of my baffles on my diy overnight sensation 5.1 setup, 3 mtm"s as my l/c/r & Mt"s as surrounds,with that carbon fiber wrap and they came out very nice. I got my 3m wrap from metrorestyling.com and I beleive was quite a bit cheaper than the site your looking at. They actually have like 4 or 5 different series of that wrap, 3m has two different series,their "1080" and "di- noc" series with the 1080 being the one I went with since it was quite a bit cheaper but got equally good reviews. Metro manufactures their own carbon fiber wrap as well and is considerably cheaper than the 3m line but I didn't realize it till after I placed my order. As for the 1080 black/gloss cf wrap I went with it looks remarkable similar to the real deal,it shimmers n reflects light and has an actual texture to it that I didn't expect. I"ll get some pictures up here shortly to help u decide but believe me it looks sick in person!
post #5 of 17 Old 01-14-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply
Did you get the black or gloss black?
post #6 of 17 Old 01-14-2013, 06:07 PM

I went with the the gloss thinking it might add depth to the vinyl giving it a more true cf look......lets see if this works.........

The pic of the mt being truer to what it looks like in natural lighting.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-14-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Wow looks great!
Did you use the 3m primer they recommend?
Was it easy to apply/install the vinyl?

Thanks again
post #8 of 17 Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM

Thanks,nah I just went ahead and applied it without the primer, I got the idea from a hobbyist on parts express who did the same without the primer and had no issues. The adhesive they use is pretty strong and seemed more than enough. Its real easy to apply too you just cut whatever size you need from the roll and peel n stick really. It does help to heat it up first with a blow dryer to help flatten it out and have a sharp craft knife but other than its super easy. Just be careful not to scratch it cuz when I tried to flatten my first peice I was using my palm n didn't realize I had some decent calluses going on and scratched it pretty good hahaha. I ordered a sample of metrorestyling in house cf vinyl too to compare since I need quite a bit to wrap my sub and its like 5x less expensive than 3m so we" ll see. Im also going to wrap the rest of the speaker enclosures with another 3m vinyl wrap that they have at metro,its the bubinga wood grain,its look pretty nice n should compliment the hivi woofers copper colored cone well,something different I guess,I should get that stuff in this week.
pjoseph24 likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Trojan View Post

Thanks,nah I just went ahead and applied it without the primer, I got the idea from a hobbyist on parts express who did the same without the primer and had no issues. The adhesive they use is pretty strong and seemed more than enough. Its real easy to apply too you just cut whatever size you need from the roll and peel n stick really. It does help to heat it up first with a blow dryer to help flatten it out and have a sharp craft knife but other than its super easy. Just be careful not to scratch it cuz when I tried to flatten my first peice I was using my palm n didn't realize I had some decent calluses going on and scratched it pretty good hahaha. I ordered a sample of metrorestyling in house cf vinyl too to compare since I need quite a bit to wrap my sub and its like 5x less expensive than 3m so we" ll see. Im also going to wrap the rest of the speaker enclosures with another 3m vinyl wrap that they have at metro,its the bubinga wood grain,its look pretty nice n should compliment the hivi woofers copper colored cone well,something different I guess,I should get that stuff in this week.

They really turned out great.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-14-2013, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Let me know how the metrorestyling in house cf vinyl compares, because I am going to need a good amount for my sub as well

Thanks again
post #11 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 05:26 PM

Thanks ack, alright pjoseph just got my other vinyl in yesterday and heres a pic of the 3M 1080 series(left)and metros 3D series cf..
Its pattern is a little larger and it's more of a matte finish but for the price its more than acceptable for a sub that few people are going to notice. Its prolly what im going with and will put that $40 savings toward another build. I finished one of my mtms' enclosures with thst other vinyl and found out that for a nice crisp corner on a 90deg corner u really need to heat it up n work the corner over with your thumb if not you end up with a tiny air pocket/gap. Heres some money shots..

pjoseph24 likes this.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow. You have some talent.. Those rival many of the expensive commercial speakers I see. Nicely done sir.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 07:09 PM

Appreciate it ack,for my first time finishing a enclosure im pretty happy how it turned out.....only 5 more to go!! I was originally going to duratex them like u did your subs but that faux carbon fiber is just really neat looking. Now only if I had your theater room lol.....
post #14 of 17 Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Trojan View Post

Appreciate it ack,for my first time finishing a enclosure im pretty happy how it turned out.....only 5 more to go!! I was originally going to duratex them like u did your subs but that faux carbon fiber is just really neat looking. Now only if I had your theater room lol.....

Well I made the mistake of showing my wife your carbon fiber wrap and now she is wondering what it would take to wrap the front and sides of the sub in that....

I told her to ask me again in about 6 months after I enjoy the subs for a while. I have a big stack of movies to watch smile.gif

Thanks for the compliments.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-17-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

SC Trojan, those came out awesome!

For the carbon fiber in your most recent speaker photos is that the 3M one?
post #16 of 17 Old 01-17-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoseph24 View Post

SC Trojan, those came out awesome!

For the carbon fiber in your most recent speaker photos is that the 3M one?

Yea,I used it for all my speakers,its the 1080 black gloss. When it gets some good natural light it really does stand out and looks phenomenal!
pjoseph24 likes this.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-30-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

I was about to place my order but now i am wondering what the difference is between the 1080 & di-noc?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page