Super SEOS Build! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 102 Old 02-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Senior Member
 
ehoeft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Boooo I say do the mega build NOW!!! smile.gif
ehoeft is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 102 Old 02-05-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ChopShop1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,903
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoeft View Post

Boooo I say do the mega build NOW!!! smile.gif

Hahahaha...pm me, we can get the Mega Mains built!
ChopShop1 is offline  
post #93 of 102 Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,261
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoeft View Post

Boooo I say do the mega build NOW!!! smile.gif

X2 - If you can swing it, we'd love to have you set the bar for us in April. biggrin.gif
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #94 of 102 Old 02-05-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ChopShop1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,903
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

X2 - If you can swing it, we'd love to have you set the bar for us in April. biggrin.gif

Hahaha...you guys are killing me!! Eveyone should do them biggrin.gif

I just emailed a certain person to pose a question just now and will wait to hear back. If things are a go, I will fund the project/design and build the enclosures, etc. He would design adn implement the xover details and fine tune it all. It will be a pricey adventure, but lots of fun. I bit off of all your proven designs so far, so I guess its my turn to be the first to do a project. I would love to have them done for April, but a lot will depend on the SEOS 24 arrival date. We won't be able to do anything without it.
ChopShop1 is offline  
post #95 of 102 Old 02-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Senior Member
 
ehoeft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm more of a follower than a leader smile.gif
ehoeft is offline  
post #96 of 102 Old 02-05-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Erich H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 5,150
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

In short, I think what you guys are offering by designing and making these kits available to us all is incredible. For $400 one can build a really nice speaker, that otherwise would cost multiples of that to replicate in the commercial world. I will also say this...I had a local high end shop that was trying to sell me the CT8.4 cinemas by B&W about a month ago. I know that audio memory isn't the best, but I can confidently say this...no part of me is thinking back to that experience and wishing I had bought those, and they were over $3k a peice, with discount.


Isn't that paragraph suppose to be in a review on the site???? Don't forget the waveguide and CD review too!

I will be adding a warning on some of the larger speakers to let people know they are capable of going over 120db and even though they don't sound so loud due to their clarity, they can still cause some hearing issues. biggrin.gif
Erich H is offline  
post #97 of 102 Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ChopShop1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,903
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Isn't that paragraph suppose to be in a review on the site???? Don't forget the waveguide and CD review too!

I will be adding a warning on some of the larger speakers to let people know they are capable of going over 120db and even though they don't sound so loud due to their clarity, they can still cause some hearing issues. biggrin.gif

Yes it is sir! I will be over there in a few to post up my thougts. They warning may be a good idea biggrin.gif
ChopShop1 is offline  
post #98 of 102 Old 02-10-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
ChopShop1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,903
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I'm getting ready to start the new build, but wanted to pop back in with some thoughts. I have been listening a lot to the sentinels over the last few days and they rally are fantastic! I sitll don't have an optimal area, but was able to set them up as good as good be expected in the temp area that I do have to work with. I am still swappin between the cv5k for 2 channel and stereo on movies, and using the Oultaw (somebody buy this thing!) for running l/c/r for movies at times. Obviously they seem to open up a bit more and really get going with the CV5k, but with just the 200w/ch on the Outlaw, they still sound fantastic. I am now getting a feel for the midbass that Andrew kept referring to as well. The wife and I watched Superbad and Miami Vice today. Superbad is mostly dialgue, and they handled it with class. Miami Vice was great too...there were times when Colin Farrel's voice was very "present" in the room. very impressive. Once my daughter got home, I watched Ice Age Continental drift with her and they were great with the effects.

I can't say enough how well these things perform in general, nevermind for $400 a piece. Matt did such a great job with these that I have roped him into helping with my mega build, a victim of his own success biggrin.gif.
ChopShop1 is offline  
post #99 of 102 Old 02-11-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,261
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Chop - Glad to hear you're enjoying them a bit more as you get some time on them. I enjoy mine more each time I listen to them. The time will come when I will upgrade, but it's going to require a LOT more money so I'll be saving for a while to make that happen. Until then I'm perfectly happy with these guys. wink.gif
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #100 of 102 Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 3,238
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Chop - Glad to hear you're enjoying them a bit more as you get some time on them. I enjoy mine more each time I listen to them. The time will come when I will upgrade, but it's going to require a LOT more money so I'll be saving for a while to make that happen. Until then I'm perfectly happy with these guys. wink.gif

Bold statement right there. Especially coming from a guy that has ran through more sets of speakers in the past 5 years than many will in a lifetime.

biggrin.gif

 

popalock is offline  
post #101 of 102 Old 02-12-2013, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 3,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I've said that many times myself....

On a side note, maybe we should have a thread going about loudness levels. With everyone on here building all this high performance gear and hooking it up to so much power, I think it's smart to measure just how loud its getting.

These big efficient speakers can get up to harmful spl levels with little power. I've measured over 117 db in my room just from my mains on less than 100 watts a piece.

Erich is right. It's the lack of distortion that makes it feel like you can keep cranking it, but I bet if you bust out the meter you will be surprised.

Be good to your ears. You cannot reverse permanent damage.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
brian6751 is offline  
post #102 of 102 Old 02-12-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,950
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

I've said that many times myself....

On a side note, maybe we should have a thread going about loudness levels. With everyone on here building all this high performance gear and hooking it up to so much power, I think it's smart to measure just how loud its getting.

These big efficient speakers can get up to harmful spl levels with little power. I've measured over 117 db in my room just from my mains on less than 100 watts a piece.

Erich is right. It's the lack of distortion that makes it feel like you can keep cranking it, but I bet if you bust out the meter you will be surprised.

Be good to your ears. You cannot reverse permanent damage.

Agreed. I always have my meter next to me and have checked often enough that I can guess within a couple of db's what the level is at when I'm listening to music. With prolonged listening I don't like to be above 85, but of course there are moments I crank it WAY louder than that and I'll be around 90 for a few minutes straight but then I dial it back to 85 again.

I still can't find anything definitive on if lower frequencies are less damaging to hearing, but if that's the case I'm being more conservative than I have to be because if I switch to A weighting the level on the meter drops a lot of course, but I use C weighting to be save.
carp is online now  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off