Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 102 Old 01-15-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Ok, started a new thread due to the changing nature of the build. I just got shipping confirmation for two out of my three Sentinel kits. For those who don't already know, the Sentinel uses the 15" B&C woofer and the DNA360 CD with Seos12. I will be building three of these for lcr in the DHT. Once they are complete, I will make a decision on the surrounds and effect speakers. Ultimately, I will end up with 13 speakers and who knows how many subs. The room is quite large at 21x35 and 10ft ceiling. The goal is lcr, 2 sets of side surrounds (three rows of seating), rears, height and width speakers. The only thing that I have on hand to compare them to is my Revel f12 setup, which I am quite sure the Seos will stomp all over. I love the Revel, just know they can't hang on this level. I have had experience with many different high end products as well, so even with audio memory being what it is, I should be able to make a fair assessment. The original plan was to spend big$$ and go with JTR Noesis and at least T8 surrounds. After reading many reviews, I decided that the savings of $12k or so, at the risk of losing something in performance was worth it. If I can get 90% of what would be "ultimate performance" I will be very happy.

I will be picking up some sheets of mdf tonight in anticipation of the arrival of two kits tomorrow. Hopefully the third won't be far behind. Stay tuned
wyattroa and Dbuudo07 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Consider me subscribed and excited for you! Sounds like a massive room and build! Do you have pics of the current setup so we can see what you are putting all this new found wonderfulness into? I'm wondering if you'll need the width and height effects speakers after you get these big ones built ... it'll be interesting to watch your progress.

Scott
post #3 of 102 Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 439
So this is a Super Super Elliptical Oblate Sheroid waveguide? biggrin.gif

Good luck with the build.
post #4 of 102 Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post

Consider me subscribed and excited for you! Sounds like a massive room and build! Do you have pics of the current setup so we can see what you are putting all this new found wonderfulness into? I'm wondering if you'll need the width and height effects speakers after you get these big ones built ... it'll be interesting to watch your progress.

Scott

Thanks! I am actually having the room constructed as we speak. The excavation contractor has dug the hole and now needs to pour the slab and walls. It will be a stand alone, underground "bunker" type room. Well, not truely stand alone, as there will be a hallway from the main basement which will connect ot the bar room and the entrance to the theater is going to be in the back of the bar...four independant concrete walls though and corregated decking with concrete pour above. Once I get a little further, I plan to start a thread in the theater build section and dump a bunch of pics in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

So this is a Super Super Elliptical Oblate Sheroid waveguide? biggrin.gif

Good luck with the build.

It is, on account of the flux capacitor biggrin.gif
post #5 of 102 Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Looking forward to your build. smile.gif
post #6 of 102 Old 01-15-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Man, you are one busy dude! Love it. Can't wait to see the pics and get your impressions once things are up and running. And saving $12K is not trivial at all...
post #7 of 102 Old 01-15-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Thanks! I am actually having the room constructed as we speak. The excavation contractor has dug the hole and now needs to pour the slab and walls. It will be a stand alone, underground "bunker" type room. Well, not truely stand alone, as there will be a hallway from the main basement which will connect ot the bar room and the entrance to the theater is going to be in the back of the bar...four independant concrete walls though and corregated decking with concrete pour above. Once I get a little further, I plan to start a thread in the theater build section and dump a bunch of pics in there.

Nice! That's awesome! Make sure to put a thumbprint activated lock on the door from the main basement to keep out stray neighbors and kids biggrin.gif
post #8 of 102 Old 01-15-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post

Looking forward to your build. smile.gif

Thanks for making it possible!!

I can't believ how far the DIY offerings have come in the last few years. It truly makes things attainable for some of us that would not hav been otherwise, and it takes the folks like you and Erich!
post #9 of 102 Old 01-15-2013, 05:07 PM

Liked: 24
Subscribed!!!!!
post #10 of 102 Old 01-15-2013, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Man, you are one busy dude! Love it. Can't wait to see the pics and get your impressions once things are up and running. And saving $12K is not trivial at all...

You're not kidding. That savings makes it so easy for me to justify hiring a professional to design the room, and have some $$ left over. Once the pour and decking are done, I am sending the prints on for design so that they have every exact detail to consider. With any luck, I will get to at least listen to the Sentinels within a week or so.
post #11 of 102 Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Freakin winter storms!!! My delivery is delayed until tomorrow:mad: Oh well, I guess I can just get started on the cuts for the enclosures in the interim.
post #12 of 102 Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 266
post #13 of 102 Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Subbed, looking forward to your build. SEOS builds ftw.

...and I blame it all on you sir! In all seriouness, I am so happy I stumbled onto your silverback build and saw "the light".
post #14 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...and I blame it all on you sir! In all seriouness, I am so happy I stumbled onto your silverback build and saw "the light".

Heh, glad I could "help" - if that's what you want to call it. Even though you're spending quite a bit, you're still saving $$$$ for sure. biggrin.gif
post #15 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Heh, glad I could "help" - if that's what you want to call it. Even though you're spending quite a bit, you're still saving $$$$ for sure. biggrin.gif

I am spending soooo much less than we thought we would initially. Now I jsut need one of you nuts to get 24 18s so that 16 looks like nothing to the wife biggrin.gif

Great detail by the way on the cut shets/layout on your seos thread. It helped, as always, quite a bit.
post #16 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am spending soooo much less than we thought we would initially. Now I jsut need one of you nuts to get 24 18s so that 16 looks like nothing to the wife biggrin.gif

Great detail by the way on the cut shets/layout on your seos thread. It helped, as always, quite a bit.

Believe me if I thought I needed more subs, I would be scheming to add more. biggrin.gif

No problem with the cut list. I did have to modify a few items though - the bracing i actually had as 3/4 too deep since I forgot it would be sandwiched between the inner baffle and rear panel, so I just chopped 3/4" off the depth and it was cool. The slot port was actually only 9" deep too, since the front baffle(s) are 1.5 thick already and that is the first part of the port. I also made 2" x 9" braces for the port to secure it to the walls too. Other than that I think I left it alone. cool.gif
post #17 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Believe me if I thought I needed more subs, I would be scheming to add more. biggrin.gif

No problem with the cut list. I did have to modify a few items though - the bracing i actually had as 3/4 too deep since I forgot it would be sandwiched between the inner baffle and rear panel, so I just chopped 3/4" off the depth and it was cool. The slot port was actually only 9" deep too, since the front baffle(s) are 1.5 thick already and that is the first part of the port. I also made 2" x 9" braces for the port to secure it to the walls too. Other than that I think I left it alone. cool.gif

Doesn't the top section of the port(9x15.75) already mount directly to the side panels on either end??? Just thought so because the internal width of the box is 15.75 and so is the measurement on the port top...
post #18 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Doesn't the top section of the port(9x15.75) already mount directly to the side panels on either end??? Just thought so because the internal width of the box is 15.75 and so is the measurement on the port top...

Correct - it effectively serves as a level of bracing since it connects both walls together. The floor of the box also serves as the bottom of the port. Neat, huh? smile.gif
post #19 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Correct - it effectively serves as a level of bracing since it connects both walls together. The floor of the box also serves as the bottom of the port. Neat, huh? smile.gif

Slot ports are the coolest biggrin.gif

Scott
post #20 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Absolutely, I asked because you said that you also made extra 2x9 braces to secure the port to the wall. Maybe its just cause I can't visualize it in my head, but don't the box sides serve the same purpose??

Also wanted to ask..you put a brace in the center of the port running front to back right??
post #21 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Absolutely, I asked because you said that you also made extra 2x9 braces to secure the port to the wall. Maybe its just cause I can't visualize it in my head, but don't the box sides serve the same purpose??

Also wanted to ask..you put a brace in the center of the port running front to back right??

Ah! Sorry, I misunderstood the question. Yes, those other braces that connect to the wall are probably unnecessary but I was just going to add them there since I'm not adding any other bracing under the port top itself. It would just add some more surface area to connect the port to the wall. I didn't want to interfere with the airflow of the port by adding any bracing UNDER the port so I was planning adding some on the sides.

Hmm, maybe it would make sense to leave them off. I'll have to see how solid the brace is once installed. I'm almost certain it will be fine without it.
post #22 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ Thank you sir. I am going to try to play around with bracing tonight and experiment with pretty vs minimal and usefull. I just don't know if I can get myself not to make nice looking bracing. I am thinking I can just throw some sticks of leftover ply in there at the main points, just have to see how it will lay out around the...aaww fu#& it!! I'll just make it nice looking. Damn you ocd!!!!
post #23 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^ Thank you sir. I am going to try to play around with bracing tonight and experiment with pretty vs minimal and usefull. I just don't know if I can get myself not to make nice looking bracing. I am thinking I can just throw some sticks of leftover ply in there at the main points, just have to see how it will lay out around the...aaww fu#& it!! I'll just make it nice looking. Damn you ocd!!!!

I know what you mean. I spent 2-3 hours making nice looking bracing on Saturday morning. All said and done it will be inside the box and I'll never see it again. I should have just cut some strips to the sides and moved on. I would have probably had all 3 boxes started if that were the case, heh.
post #24 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

I know what you mean. I spent 2-3 hours making nice looking bracing on Saturday morning. All said and done it will be inside the box and I'll never see it again. I should have just cut some strips to the sides and moved on. I would have probably had all 3 boxes started if that were the case, heh.

I just had this exact conversation on my sub build thread. I spend 6 hours cutting and router'ing braces yesterday because my OCD won't let me slap some ply strips in there lol.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #25 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I just had this exact conversation on my sub build thread. I spend 6 hours cutting and router'ing braces yesterday because my OCD won't let me slap some ply strips in there lol.

Its messed up becuase you know it isn't important for it to look good, physics wise. You know you could spend hours on something else if you just let it go.....but nooo, it can't happen. I think I'm spending more time right now trying to convince myself to do strips than it would take to actually fit them to the damn box. Something about the bracing sliding in and fitting the inside perimeter of the box jsut make it feel better and more secure, but in actuality, we know it serves no purpose. I think it has become one of the hottest topics...I can't even count the number of times that I have seen that BFM post with the dowls. I think on the next singl sub I do (getting one done for my brother in law) I will try it out.
post #26 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hardware is in da hoooouuuuse! Just got the delivery notification!
post #27 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:

I can't even count the number of times that I have seen that BFM post with the dowls.

I've done it on multiple builds, both sub and speaker alike and they work excellently. You buy some dowels or a broom handle, cut them to size with your chop saw (one of the most fun tools to use of course!) and position accordingly within the box. I even had one build I did where I built some beautiful front to back and side to side braces, all holey and such, and there was still panel resonance left. I bought a broom handle, cut down a bunch of pieces and actually inserted them through the holes in the front to back holey brace to add extra side to side bracing and it completely got rid of the resonance. Dowels are great and cheap, can't (like Bill) recommend that type of bracing enough. Plus, its SO EASY and quick!

Example of the front to back holey bracing I did:

Scott
post #28 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm gonna try it, but I'm not gonna like it..stomps off like 5yr old

biggrin.gif
post #29 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM

Found the pic of the added dowel bracing. Only took two to get there but it worked. With the entire cabinet with these it would have taken WAY less time with most likely the same result:

Scott
post #30 of 102 Old 01-17-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I'm gonna try it, but I'm not gonna like it..stomps off like 5yr old

biggrin.gif

After you've saved yourself 3 hours of bracing time per cabinet, you can take those extra hours and tell your wife you've saved yourself some money (your time) so you're going to the bar to go get a drink wink.gif
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page