Anyone hear from TheEAR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I tried calling the number that I have for him, but there is never any answer, and I know he's been offline for a while, just wondering where he's been.

"You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post

I tried calling the number that I have for him, but there is never any answer, and I know he's been offline for a while, just wondering where he's been.

Hey Mike, I was thinking of him a couple of days ago. I was looking at some youtube videos and he sure has a ton of nice stuff.

Keep cranking,

Robert
post #3 of 24 Old 01-16-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Let's hope he just "bugged out", rather than the alternative. eek.gif

He seemed pretty reclusive at the best of times, based on the few back and forths I had with him. A rather eccentric fellow too. If my memory is accurate, he had like 50 subs in an apartment (back like 4 years ago). I felt clostrophobic just looking at the pictures of his room, and I can "almost" be confortable with cave-splunking eek.gif
post #4 of 24 Old 01-16-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Every time I think of a wall of subs I think of him.

I remember the last time I saw him post he mentioned he got into remote control helicopters big time. He does seem to go to the extreme with any of his hobbies.

I hope he is doing well, a really colorful character and he seemed like a decent guy.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #5 of 24 Old 05-30-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I have wondered about this guy quite a few times, mostly wondering what happened to all those subs....

I thought he was pretty eccentric but loved having him buy every driver and amp we could drool at, it was fun having a member that was doing so much.

Just doing a mental tally, I think he spent something like $80,000 on subs and amps that year, he had to have two of everything.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-30-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome back!

It's funny as I was just going through some of my old PM's and had an older one with advice you gave me about a build. When I saw it yesterday I was wondering were you had gone so it is a pleasant surprise to see your back.

I really wonder about TheEar as well and his wall o subs. Your right, it was really fun to see all his purchases and he always had a good attitude about it, I hope he comes back too.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #7 of 24 Old 05-30-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it was closer to $40,000
He also had $15,000 in headphone stuff.

Did he ever make even so much as a single room sweep chart?

I thought I was pushing it with 4 different brands of subs and 6 different brands of amps, he had like 15 different types of subs (or more); and 8 models of amps mostly QSC PLX's and Crown XTI's if I recall correctly.

I wonder what sort of phase issues you'd have with all that? Must be a nightmare.
I don't recall him using a mini/DCX for the PLX's either, perhaps just an AVR?

Not to be too critical or harsh, but...
I found it hard to follow his implementation/progress to be honest because his posts were mostly incomplete and wandering and system not well documented in that regard. Also, he was always adding more of anything and everything and 180 changing his mind on a monthly or weekly basis; making it even more difficult to follow along... with no apparent end-goal other than to live inside a reconstruction of the Danley matterhorn.

I don't recall him posting any pics of his power grid, although he "claimed" to have something like 300amps or so, inside a two bedroom apartment, with neighbors on all sides? eek.gif

He reminded me a lot of KW, but with much more expendable income; and instead of chasing after 0hz, it was chasing after the highest sheer quantity of subs possible.
post #8 of 24 Old 05-30-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

I thought I was pushing it with 4 different brands of subs and 6 different brands of amps, he had like 15 different types of subs (or more); and 8 models of amps mostly QSC PLX's and Crown XTI's if I recall correctly.

I wonder what sort of phase issues you'd have with all that? Must be a nightmare.

I found it hard to follow his implementation/progress to be honest because his posts were mostly incomplete and wandering and system not well documented in that regard. Also, he was always adding more of anything and everything and 180 changing his mind on a monthly or weekly basis; making it even more difficult to follow along... with no apparent end-goal other than to live inside a reconstruction of the Danley matterhorn.

I don't recall him posting any pics of his power grid, although he "claimed" to have something like 300amps or so, inside a two bedroom apartment, with neighbors on all sides? eek.gif

He reminded me a lot of KW, but with much more expendable income; and instead of chasing after 0hz, it was chasing after the highest sheer quantity of subs possible.

I believe it was an apartment building that he owned. He used a couple units for his toys. He did have one heck of a sub collection.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #9 of 24 Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:

I think it was just his hobby. He liked to buy and build, thats it. I talked to him a few times and if I had as much income as he seemed to have, I'd likely do the exact same thing. Once I finish a project, I just want to move on to something else. I'm already bored with my G-horns lol I need something else to monkey with.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #10 of 24 Old 06-02-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Once I finish a project, I just want to move on to something else. I'm already bored with my G-horns lol I need something else to monkey with.

Ha ha... Isn't it horrible. All the time and energy just to end up in a dumpster or another sub/s to find a place for. Anyway I remember the ear very well, he sure was a character.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #11 of 24 Old 06-03-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 View Post

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I have wondered about this guy quite a few times, mostly wondering what happened to all those subs....

I thought he was pretty eccentric but loved having him buy every driver and amp we could drool at, it was fun having a member that was doing so much.

Just doing a mental tally, I think he spent something like $80,000 on subs and amps that year, he had to have two of everything.
Armystud. Back after a 3yr hiatus or however long it's been. Next thing you know, Willd will be back and Penn...

YID DIY
post #12 of 24 Old 06-03-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Wow those names bring back memories, I built my first DIY sub after reading WILLD's sealed Mal-X build thread.

Current Gear: PJ – BenQ PE7700; Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR805; Blu Ray - OppoBDP 103; Turntable - Dual CS-515 w/ Ortofon Super OM10; Amplifiers - OdysseyKhartago, Adcom GFA555, QSC RMX 1850HD; PEQ - Behringer FBD2496 [Near FieldSub], miniDSP 2×4 [Flanking Subs], REW; Speakers - 4 Pi (w/B&C DE250/JBL2226H) × 3 [LCR], Yamaha Crap × 2 [surrounds], Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18" sealed sub [near field sub], LAB-12 based ported sub tuned to 22 Hz x2 [flanking subs, XO set at 40 Hz]
post #13 of 24 Old 06-29-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I ran across this on youtube and I am pretty sure this is theEAR's channel, looks like he checked in a month ago so at least he is still around:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bsod4u2?feature=watch

post #14 of 24 Old 06-30-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I have seen most of those videos before and thought this guy must be about showing off instead of using logic. So I just blew him off in my mind. Didn't even think he might have been from the forum. I always think of the people on this forum to be a bit more....knowledgeable. I am not saying the Ear was not but the video of the guy with a wall of subs and amps seemed to just be a collector was all.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-30-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

You had me wondering so a quick search confirmed it is him: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1266710/thewall-front-wall-that-is

post #16 of 24 Old 01-13-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 218
For some reason TheEAR popped into my head.

I did a quick search and found this thread from last year at this time. Has anyone heard from him?
I hope he is well.

post #17 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 09:58 PM

All the old names popping back into the fore front...... smile.gif
post #18 of 24 Old 01-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

For some reason TheEAR popped into my head.

I did a quick search and found this thread from last year at this time. Has anyone heard from him?
I hope he is well.
I remember him first from the Klipsch forum. I always thought he was quite unusual with his fetish for subwoofers.

"Frequency response is NOT efficiency response."

Klipsch RB-35's main

Klipsch RB-35's surround

Acoustech HT-65 center

Cerwin-Vega CV-2800

Subwoofer

B&C 21SW152-4  [21" critical-Q]

post #19 of 24 Old 01-15-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramskoi View Post

I remember him first from the Klipsch forum. I always thought he was quite unusual with his fetish for subwoofers.

No doubt, quite the fellow. He definitely kept things interesting around here.smile.gif

post #20 of 24 Old 01-15-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

No doubt, quite the fellow. He definitely kept things interesting around here.smile.gif

That he did! From looking at his apt./condo it would seem the guy didn’t have any $$ but that wasn’t the case if I remember correctly? Anyway that guy would drop 5G down in a heartbeat after spending 5G the week before. What on earth he did with all those subs is beyond me. He sure had a pile of them, and that’s no exaggeration. He literally had a pile of subs and amps not to mention other gear. I don’t recall what speakers he ran if indeed he didn’t use sw’s for speakers. wink.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #21 of 24 Old 01-15-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

That he did! From looking at his apt./condo it would seem the guy didn’t have any $$ but that wasn’t the case if I remember correctly? Anyway that guy would drop 5G down in a heartbeat after spending 5G the week before. What on earth he did with all those subs is beyond me. He sure had a pile of them, and that’s no exaggeration. He literally had a pile of subs and amps not to mention other gear. I don’t recall what speakers he ran if indeed he didn’t use sw’s for speakers. wink.gif

I seem to recall he owned the apartment building and had one apartment just for his HT equipment with wall of subs.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #22 of 24 Old 01-15-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I seem to recall he owned the apartment building and had one apartment just for his HT equipment with wall of subs.

Yeah that's prob it! I bet he owned that building. He also prob had a room for just his amps! He didn't like to rent his rooms out due to the rent was always late

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #23 of 24 Old 01-16-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

He was alive 10 months ago, but maybe he boxed himself into a corner by building so many subwoofers in his 500sqft room that he couldn't get out or even breathe.

Perhaps he should have bought a canary.

66g9i.jpg
post #24 of 24 Old 01-16-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

He was alive 10 months ago, but maybe he boxed himself into a corner by building so many subwoofers in his 500sqft room that he couldn't get out or even breathe.

Perhaps he should have bought a canary.

66g9i.jpg

Renters will drive one crazy. No offense to those who rent but the "majority" are truly able to drive a landlord crazy. No antipsychotics for me yet but if dont sell a bunch of real estate before too long I may be asking if I impressed "Clarise" while being transported by hand truck.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page