Full DIY HT Replacement - SEOS Tempests + SEOS Fusion 10s + Dayton 18s - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 342 Old 01-17-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 282
So its about time I started my own thread as ive been lurking in everyone else’s for some time. My HT is less of a dedicated space than many but it works, It’s a very small space with a very interesting shape. Main listening area is 12x15 with a 7 foot celling. The kicker is its on the 3rd floor of a house and has knee walls and odd sloped ceilings. Open on either side to rooms that can be closed off and open to the back for ~20 feet . Just a TV and speakers, no room for a projector.

I’ve been planning on upgrading in one form or another for what seems like an eternity. Current Speakers are a pair of Wharfedale Sapphires for L&R and a pair of old Advents for rears. Running Phantom center currently as I don’t really have room for 1, there is one in the pic but its not used. I’ve had all these speakers since HS/College, they have served me well but, ive always wanted more.
Being someone always looking for a deal, DIY is right up my alley. More bang for the buck as it were. After I built a pair of overnight sensations for my dad this summer I figured I’d go all out and have been waiting for all the SEOS stuff to get finished. Also after spending about 30 seconds at Gorillas house I decided I’d so subs as well.

Sold my PB12 to help fund this. Current setup with a Bic-F12 as a stand-in for the time being as it was sitting around.

Building 2 of the Tempests for L&R and 2 of the Fusion Max 10s for surrounds. And 2 of the Dayton 18’s in ~4 CUFT boxes. My plan is to place the dayton’s on either side of the TV and stand the Tempest’s on them. Fusions will sit on stands in the back. I am also having a new TV stand built that will be taller than the current one and about 55 inches wide – which is ~5 inches wider than the TV. Everything should work out fine in the space. and everything will fit on the new stand including the PS3/Xbox for a much cleaner look.

Will be powering the Daytons from an EP4000, will run the L&R off an Emotiva XPA-3 and the rears off the AVR (Yamaha RXA-3000). I will probably add a center at some point, when I was doing some measuring I can get the Malcolm to fit by propping the TV up a little on the stand, but if I do that I will be later.

Almost ready to get started. Most of my parts are here but I’m still waiting on the enclosures form Erich. He said the Fusions will most likely ship out next week and the Tempests not far behind them. And the word on the sub boxes is “soon”. I decided to purchase the enclosures because I don’t really have the means to cut everything. My 30 year old table saw isn’t up to it + it scares the crap out of me and I don’t own a router.

Plan on finishing everything with duratex.

Bunch o pics of what I have now

Current setup

Compression drivers

all this stuff came today (minus the Cat) That is Jake my helper

Tempest Parts

Fusion Parts

12" SEOS Horns

Ports

Baffle for the Fusion 10

Baffle for the tempest

Delta 10A

Delta Pro 12a

Dayton 18"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 342 Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Man it sounds like you've done your homework very well and have it planned out very nicely. I'll definitely be watching your build as its almost identical to what I want to do. Keep the thread going with pics as you build along. Congrats! Really excited for you!!

Scott

EDIT: Man those Dayton's are beefy cool looking drivers!
post #3 of 342 Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Wow looks like you are going to be busy, that should be a decent upgrade over what you have now.

On a side note are you still using the 4 DIY bookshelf speakers I sold you?
post #4 of 342 Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post

Wow looks like you are going to be busy, that should be a decent upgrade over what you have now.

On a side note are you still using the 4 DIY bookshelf speakers I sold you?

Yep I'm listing to them as i type this. 2 of them are used in my computer room paired with an Epik legend. the other 2 i gave to my dad for xmass. Replaced a pair of 25 year old Magnepan's that i believe have started to delaminate. The two of us are going to attempt to fix them this summer.

Hes really happy with them, as they don't make any odd crackling sounds (ie they aren't broken) was totally shocked on xmass morning because i ninja installed them at like 2 AM biggrin.gif

comp

Dads - crappy cellphone pic

post #5 of 342 Old 01-17-2013, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Subbed. This should be a really cool build, you're going to absolutely obliterate that space! I know in some ways it's the least impressive of the three, but there's something I really like about the look of the Eminence Delta-10A driver. Get started on those crossovers!
post #6 of 342 Old 01-17-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would start them this weekend but i need to wait for the flat packs because of the style of bracing i need to be sure how much room i have between the ribs

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-packs-1/seos-flat-packs/2-cuft-tall-seos-flat-pack.html

post #7 of 342 Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Should be awesome! Two words though. FALSE WALL. Think about it.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #8 of 342 Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Very cool thread, subscribed... You guys are killing me with the waveguide build.. I really like my current speakers, but....
post #9 of 342 Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Should be awesome! Two words though. FALSE WALL. Think about it.

hehehe

post #10 of 342 Old 01-17-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Subbed! Now it's my turn to follow your thread. biggrin.gif

Lots of fun about to go down here....

post #11 of 342 Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 245
I'm anxious to see this unfold. I'm currently running a 9 speaker Axiom setup which has worked just fine for me, but I'm debating taking it to the next level. Builds like this are a great inspiration.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #12 of 342 Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Subbed! I'm looking to go DIY with very similar setup.
post #13 of 342 Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I'm anxious to see this unfold. I'm currently running a 9 speaker Axiom setup which has worked just fine for me, but I'm debating taking it to the next level. Builds like this are a great inspiration.

You definitely should. I've never heard Axioms but i would bet they aren't far off from the Aperions I had. Going to high efficiency horns is a huge difference.

post #14 of 342 Old 01-29-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

1:19 pm Delivered
Left at front door. Signature Service not requested.
7:10 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery
4:54 am At local FedEx facility

i think i will leave work early today - those are the Fusion 10s. Tempests shoudl be here on Wedns

post #15 of 342 Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice! Get to work!! biggrin.gif

post #16 of 342 Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Nice! Get to work!! biggrin.gif

if you say so

Erich shipped me 2 of the Fusion 10 flatpacks in 1 box. He was not sure this would work because of weight/potential damage. However after sending a test box to another AVSer with success he mailed mine out. The flatpacks for the tempests come tomorrow

Box from Erich

Expert packing as always

Hurray for foam

Dry fit

Putting the Daytons to work - just have the braces in now, will go down in a bit do top/bot and maybe sides

post #17 of 342 Old 01-29-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

should have the inner baffle on tonight, can possibly get the other side on before i go to work in the morning

post #18 of 342 Old 01-29-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Nice build thread and cool project!

Keep the pix coming!

post #19 of 342 Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice clamp assortment!

post #20 of 342 Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

yea these things are pretty cheap and work great, i have 4x of the 18s 4x 24s and 3x 36s. ill need at least 1 more 36 for the sub boxes. they only had 3 last time i was at home depot

post #21 of 342 Old 01-29-2013, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

You weave any of those under water? tongue.gif

post #22 of 342 Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

and the lord said

LET THERE BE CLAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

You weave any of those under water? tongue.gif

ive tried, doesn't work, reed gets too floppy

post #23 of 342 Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 621
That 2nd side panel might need to be tapped into place with that hardcore clamping method you have going on there! But that's still an easier way to assemble than trying to squeeze in that inner baffle after the sides are in place. At least it seemed like it to me.

Looks like the foam took a beating! They must have dropped that package a few times on the sides to get that.

The foam is one thing I worry about replacing for packaging once I run out. I don't actually figure that into the packaging costs because I got a huge amount of that stuff for nearly free when a local door manufacturer closed down. Well, I did spend a day picking up pallets of it. biggrin.gif Same with those corner protectors.

I'm guessing I have enough foam panels to last about a year, so hopefully I'll find some more in that time.

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #24 of 342 Old 01-30-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WTF im pretty sure i posted in here this morning before i left for work.

anyway. the side panel went in fine with just a few taps from a rubber mallet to get it started. after that just a few taps to square it up. the clamps are not super tight. Ill get started on the 2nd one this evening.

post #25 of 342 Old 01-30-2013, 05:35 AM

Liked: 11
Erich, regarding styrofoam, think outside the box. being that i build houses, i trash foam packaging all the time. To get more for free (a little time and communication involved though), visit construction sites when they have appliances delivered, visit stores who may run through lots of foam when unpackaging for floor demos, things of that nature. Appliance stores, electronic stores, furniture stores etc... It's there for the taking if you just speak with them about saving it for you! Mark
post #26 of 342 Old 01-30-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Hey Sibuna!

Nice work you're doing here. Appreciate you picking up my kit and documenting it here. I hope you enjoy them. Any questions feel free to pm me. Ill try and keep an eye on this thread. It's so insane how many are starting I'm worried ill miss some builds.

Thanks again!
post #27 of 342 Old 01-30-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Hey Sibuna!

Nice work you're doing here. Appreciate you picking up my kit and documenting it here. I hope you enjoy them. Any questions feel free to pm me. Ill try and keep an eye on this thread. It's so insane how many are starting I'm worried ill miss some builds.

Thanks again!

be ready for PMs about Xovers this weekend smile.gif

post #28 of 342 Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Looking at your assembly steps, along with others, always reminds me what a slob I am when I put things together. Everything within ten feet gets pl on it. Nice work!

post #29 of 342 Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1 View Post

Looking at your assembly steps, along with others, always reminds me what a slob I am when I put things together. Everything within ten feet gets pl on it. Nice work!

lol TBH thats kinda why i avoid using PL for main assembly. ill do touchup with it to fill gaps and such. The flatpacks go to well so easy all you need is tightbond
ill prob end up doing the sub boxes with PL just because they really need to be a bit stronger

EDIT
Tempests were just deleivered

post #30 of 342 Old 01-30-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Box 1 of the fusions is finished - just need to attach the outer baffle

Tempests arrived today, Boxed up masterfully - Erich these ones didn't show the indents on the Styrofoam like the dbl packed fusions did

Dry fit next to Fusion #2 -

Holy crap they are large - AKA i suck at judging size in 3 dimensions - not a big deal they just look so much larger in person - rillas 15s must be massive

Made some more room - much more assembly line looking now

Tempest #1

Should get the inner baffle on Fusion #2 tonight and prob the other side in the morning - might get the braces in Tempest #2 but it depends on clamps

Every time i type clamps this is all i can think of

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page