WinISD Professional's Step Inside Please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My son and I are building our 2nd AV room (22' x 16' x 9'). Mostly looking to watch movies, but music is also going to be enjoyed. So far we have a TC Sounds 15" Axis (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=293-642), a QSC RMX 2450 and a Velo SMS-1 for the tuning. We built a sealed box running around 3 ft3 of volume. We are thinking of putting together a ported box to help get it to go lower.

We palyed around using WinISD, but things didn't look just right. It seems like most people on this board have a ton of experience using WinISD and giving advice on systems. Would some one be willing to run the numbers for us and provide some direction?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 275

That driver looks like its better suited for a higher tune but that doesn't mean you can't tune it low. How big of an enclosure can you build? With this driver I would shoot for around 6cut tuned to 20hz.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
the inductance number (le) is what is probably throwing the model off. that driver will have some rolloff in the upper bass, but as far as modeling, i set le to zero.

here is the sub with 1000 watts in a sealed 3 cubic footer (yellow) and 5 cubic footer ported tuned to 20hz (green). ignore everything over 80hz, that is just how i have winisd set up.

t/s specs as i entered them are below.

for a form-factor, i believe the svs pb13u is a net 5 cubic footer tuned to 20hz when all ports are in use.

good luck with the build.

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 1185
also, there is nothing special about 5 cubic feet tuned to 20hz. that is just one option. you could build a 10 cubic footer tuned to 15hz if you wanted to. :-)

the driver has plenty of excursion.

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all the input. I would have responsed sooner, but thanks to my ISP we had an internet free weekend.

I am consumed by the ability to take this sub to 20hz with a 5 ft3 and 15 with a 10 ft3 box respectively (bigger, better, faster mentality from years gone past).

- What size port tubes would I need to run in each of these boxes and would it start to get boomy or would I still have good movie type thump?

- Would well braced plywood or MDF work the best as the cabinet material.

Thanks in advance (again)
Old 01-21-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 275

10cu ft ( you need to make the box slightly larger to account for the driver and port volume, use THIS)

Tuned to 15hz with a 2nd order highpass @ 15hz

1500 watts

3 x 16 x 51.50" slot port

I also threw in a sealed enclosure to compare.

Boomy sound is a result of a poor design and room placement. This driver has a pretty good bump at 60hz so tame that down if needed. You might get some room gain down low so it could flatten out. Some people don't like working with MDF because of the saw dust and weight, either is fine just make sure to brace it well. A brace every 6-8" or so is alright.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again Mrkazador. I just might have room to do a 10cu ft box.