Sonic Maximizer for DIY LFE enhancement. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know this probably belongs in another category but I feel as though the DIY crowd experiments with devices way more than the other categories out there.

I was wondering if anyone has used any of these. I'm specifically looking to get more LFE content for my hungry FI Q15 DIY sub tuned to 19Hz and what I have noticed with MP3 and other unfortunately bad music recording technology the content just isn't there.

Anyone experiment with any of these type of processors in a HT environment vs DJ/PA/Club/band setups?

looking at devices like this with bass enhancement that seem to do more than just EQ the signal.
Would love to hear from someone using it in HT before i spend $100 bucks on an experiment.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/SX3040.aspx

SX3040 Maximizer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-20-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 138
maybe the BBE already does this, but there are subharmonic synthesizers, which halve the freq of signals

dbx used to make one (maybe still), and Behringer

Noah
post #3 of 9 Old 01-20-2013, 02:50 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 208
The Harman mfd. stuff, like dbx, Crown, etc, has sub harmonic synthesis circuitry of some type. So loudspeaker dsp processors like the dbx 260 would have it. Also, the dsp based Crown amps most likely have the feature as well. There's prolly older stand alone units out there too. I believe dbx started it long ago.

The Behringer piece looks like the Aphex Exciter, ... which I'd recommend anyone take a look at if they've not been exposed one before, good fun. The real deal Aphex is about $300.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #4 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

FOH, thanks for your input. I have spent more cash dollars in time than real cash buying equipment for this train of thought but I feel that taking time and reading and learning is 95% of it for me. I am probably going to pull the trigger on a few devices at this point. The only real world experience I have is playing around with a few DSP type plugins for winamp and seeing how they do with some MP3 files in the collection. I know its not a real world test of the devices I have been looking at for bass enhancement but helps me understand what they are doing on a fundamental level and what that equals to in my ear/brain.

I'll keep updating this thread in my progress to buy more toys. I fortunately have the WAF 100% in my control so lets see what i end up in my amazon shopping cart by weeks end.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-22-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 309
It only works to 50hz.

FYI: the crown dsp amps don't have a harmonic synthesizer.

However, this can be emulated to 20hz with an agressive gain and a compressor in the DCX and/or DEQ; and the same for the Crown DSP's and possibly the nuDSP's and miniDSP too.
(basically a dynamic EQ expander)

Just be careful not to clip the inputs or outputs... In fact, I would recommend you abandon this idea and just crank the volume louder or apply some small static EQ boost (at worst). Otherwise a blown amp/sub will result if misused by the slightest degree.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

FYI: the crown dsp amps don't have a harmonic synthesizer.

The nice ones don't, but yeah some of the models do. Likely the XTi stuff.

Quote:

However, this can be emulated to 20hz with an agressive gain and a compressor in the DCX and/or DEQ; and the same for the Crown DSP's and possibly the nuDSP's and miniDSP too.
(basically a dynamic EQ expander)

Just be careful not to clip the inputs or outputs... In fact, I would recommend you abandon this idea and just crank the volume louder or apply some small static EQ boost (at worst). Otherwise a blown amp/sub will result if misused by the slightest degree.

eek.gif

Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #7 of 9 Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It only works to 50hz.
In fact, I would recommend you abandon this idea and just crank the volume louder or apply some small static EQ boost (at worst). Otherwise a blown amp/sub will result if misused by the slightest degree.

That doesn't worry me much. I have a clone FP14K amp and an FI Q15 to punish. New toys are on the way.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by javi404 View Post

That doesn't worry me much. I have a clone FP14K amp and an FI Q15 to punish. New toys are on the way.

It would be easier to resample the pitch of the poorly recorded files with something like this:
http://www.adobe.com/ca/products/audition/features.html

Not sure if CS6 does real-time audiostack effects now, or if it is only file based still.

I've used that app in the past to do similar things to music files.

I don't know of any hardware based solution that works down to atleast 20hz by down-pitching only the bass frequencies into ULF (but it is technically-possible for sure).
post #9 of 9 Old 02-10-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks BassThatHz, going to check that out. I have been playing around with the Behringer unit a little since I got it but I haven't had much time since I am dealing with an acquisition at work.

I set it up in my lab/office for now.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page