Mounting speakon connectors on cabinet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Guys - a few questions for those mounting speakon plates directly to your cabinets. I picked up a few of these from PE with my last order and planning on installing them in the next few days.

1) What hole size is required for the cutout? I read 24mm was the correct size and wanted to confirm. This appears to be closest to 15/16 but I'm guessing a 1" cutout will do.

2) From the description on PE "This chassis connector is not airtight." Uh - does that mean it will not seal or I will just have to apply silicon?

3) They also did not include mounting screws. From what I've seen most are using M3 x 3mm screws. Can anyone else confirm?

I'm sure once I get a few of them buttoned up I will be happy with them, but it would be nice if they provided more information with the package.

Thanks in advance guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 06:16 AM
Troll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Guys - a few questions for those mounting speakon plates directly to your cabinets. I picked up a few of these from PE with my last order and planning on installing them in the next few days.

1) What hole size is required for the cutout? I read 24mm was the correct size and wanted to confirm. This appears to be closest to 15/16 but I'm guessing a 1" cutout will do.

2) From the description on PE "This chassis connector is not airtight." Uh - does that mean it will not seal or I will just have to apply silicon?

3) They also did not include mounting screws. From what I've seen most are using M3 x 3mm screws. Can anyone else confirm?

I'm sure once I get a few of them buttoned up I will be happy with them, but it would be nice if they provided more information with the package.

Thanks in advance guys.

24mm is correct, 1" will be too big! most people use 15/16 and wiggle it a bit

it is not air tight as in air will leak out of the speakon connector, the airtight ones are the ones that use fastons

i know amp builders use something along the lines of 4-40 for the most part, so size #4 screws would work

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=092-067 is air tight.
post #3 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1351
I drill a 1" hole and seal them in place with hot melt glue. Fasteners are only necessary if you're attaching them to a metal mounting plate or amp chassis.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

24mm is correct, 1" will be too big! most people use 15/16 and wiggle it a bit

it is not air tight as in air will leak out of the speakon connector, the airtight ones are the ones that use fastons

i know amp builders use something along the lines of 4-40 for the most part, so size #4 screws would work

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=092-067 is air tight.

Thanks for the link and info. Is it worth ordering the new part number and returning the ones I purchased which are not air tight? Don't know how I missed that. Ugh. Not sure why they would make a model that does not seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

I drill a 1" hole and seal them in place with hot melt glue. Fasteners are only necessary if you're attaching them to a metal mounting plate or amp chassis.

Thanks Bill. Hadn't thought about using hot melt glue. It would be nice to make them removable though just in case. smile.gif

post #5 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 06:28 AM
Troll

Quote:

Thanks for the link and info. Is it worth ordering the new part number and returning the ones I purchased which are not air tight? Don't know how I missed that. Ugh.
Thanks Bill. Hadn't thought about using hot melt glue. It would be nice to make them removable though just in case. smile.gif

if these are going into your do sealed subs, you should probably order the new ones just to not worry about air leaks. that and the ones i liked are 40a rated while yours were 30a, not that they make too much difference.
that part number is fresh in my head hah, just ordered 6 of them yesterday to put into some amps i am building
post #6 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

if these are going into your do sealed subs, you should probably order the new ones just to not worry about air leaks. that and the ones i liked are 40a rated while yours were 30a, not that they make too much difference.

I'm actually using these on my SEOS mains build, which are ported. I kept the standard dual binding post/banana plug configuration on my subs to maintain wiring flexibility outside the cabinet. cool.gif

post #7 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 AM
Troll

Quote:

I'm actually using these on my SEOS mains build, which are ported. I kept the standard dual binding post/banana plug configuration on my subs to maintain wiring flexibility outside the cabinet. cool.gif
don't think you'll need to bother returning it then! i'm using speakon on everything now, mainly because i'm afraid one day when my kids are old enough to run around and start taking my bananas off!
post #8 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

don't think you'll need to bother returning it then! i'm using speakon on everything now, mainly because i'm afraid one day when my kids are old enough to run around and start taking my bananas off!

I agree - I'm a huge fan of speakon connectors for their ruggedness. It would be pretty darn hard to have a connector come lose and out of position. smile.gif In comparison, my banana plugs seem to loosen by themselves all the time.

I'm thinking I will swap the connectors anyway just in case. It won't cause much to send them back and there is a few other things I need from PE anyway.

I'm also about to head out to Lowes to grab some screws and the 15/16 hole saw I need.

post #9 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Troll

Quote:

I agree - I'm a huge fan of speakon connectors for their ruggedness. It would be pretty darn hard to have a connector come lose and out of position. smile.gif In comparison, my banana plugs seem to loosen by themselves all the time.

I'm thinking I will swap the connectors anyway just in case. It won't cause much to send them back and there is a few other things I need from PE anyway.

I'm also about to head out to Lowes to grab some screws and the 15/16 hole saw I need.

wonder if you could just make a jig for the router to cut a 24mm hole. i'd imagine it'll be very close cut! something like a mortising jig

i'm building some amps for my 9 channels, and using speakons for them all mainly to because my speakers themselves are already speakon.
post #10 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wonder if you could just make a jig for the router to cut a 24mm hole. i'd imagine it'll be very close cut! something like a mortising jig

i'm building some amps for my 9 channels, and using speakons for them all mainly to because my speakers themselves are already speakon.

Just picked up a 15/16 wood boring bit for 4.00. I'm sure there is a way I could use the router but probably more trouble that it's worth for just cutting 3 of these holes. biggrin.gif

post #11 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I use a 15/16" Forstner type drill bit. Works great, and super quick. Only use it for installing speakons.
I just add a bit of Duct Seal or speaker caulk to the barrel, then fasten them in place with two #6 X 1/2" or 3/4" wood screws, depending on the panel thickness.

I use the 2-pole solder-type speakons though, see no reason for the 4-pole ones in a typical home theater scenario. They're also a touch cheaper.

Hornresp Tutorials (By amateurs, for amateurs!)

post #12 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 126
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=092-067

+

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=092-094

Will be air tight.

Also, I used a 3/4" bit, and then made it slightly larger with a router for a good fit.

post #13 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

I use a 15/16" Forstner type drill bit. Works great, and super quick. Only use it for installing speakons.
I just add a bit of Duct Seal or speaker caulk to the barrel, then fasten them in place with two #6 X 1/2" or 3/4" wood screws, depending on the panel thickness.

I use the 2-pole solder-type speakons though, see no reason for the 4-pole ones in a typical home theater scenario. They're also a touch cheaper.

Thanks lilmike. I have plenty of wood screws around in #6 to get the job done. I picked up some extra #4s today at lunch in 3/4" in case they fit better as well. You're right, the 4 poles really aren't necessary but they aren't much more in the event you decide to bi-amp later on. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

+

Will be air tight.

Also, I used a 3/4" bit, and then made it slightly larger with a router for a good fit.

Thanks Luke! That gasket is exactly what I was looking for. I had to cancel my PE order so I could add it back in. I also decided I would return the non-sealing connectors for the same type you linked above. For the 3.00 shipping it cost me to return them I'm good with that. biggrin.gif

post #14 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post

+

Will be air tight.

wow those gaskets look awesome, guess i will have to order a few to dress up something i am working on.
post #15 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wow those gaskets look awesome, guess i will have to order a few to dress up something i am working on.

Props to Luke for the nice find. Providing a airtight seal and a great look for the connector as well!

post #16 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

The gasket costs more than the connector! Yeah, it looks good, and yeah, it is pretty foolproof.

But still - I can get a whole 1-Lb block of duct seal for just about the same $$$, and that is a lifetime supply for most folks.

post #17 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The gasket costs more than the connector! Yeah, it looks good, and yeah, it is pretty foolproof.

But still - I can get a whole 1-Lb block of duct seal for just about the same $$$, and that is a lifetime supply for most folks.

Agreed, they are a bit overpriced but they do look nice. I know you are the value king around here and I can respect that.

If it helps with the sell, they are available in an assortment of colors, LOL! Red, yellow, green, blue, etc:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=092-095

post #18 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

"I know you are the value king around here and I can respect that."

You're too kind... I'm just cheap...

post #19 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
My speakers are practically built out of duct seal aka duct putty. On the inside, a nice glob over the whole connector so there's a 100% seal no questions asked. I've purchased at least 50 lbs of the stuff, seriously like I'm an addict or something.
Quote:

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
post #20 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 04:18 PM
a|F

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What's the difference between the speakon connectors you guys are referencing, and this, which is what I ordered...?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=092-053
post #21 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by a|F View Post

What's the difference between the speakon connectors you guys are referencing, and this, which is what I ordered...?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=092-053

thats the one that gorilla originally ordered and is NOT air tight.
post #22 of 36 Old 01-21-2013, 04:44 PM
a|F

Liked: 14
Doh. That's what happens when I open a bunch of pages on my phone.
post #23 of 36 Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 AM

Liked: 16
post #24 of 36 Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, that will work.

post #25 of 36 Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Yes, that will work.

Awesome, just now ordered, thank you Gorilla for the quick answer. My Zephyr flatpacks showed up today, so I am ready to start my building!
post #26 of 36 Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nater1 View Post

Awesome, just now ordered, thank you Gorilla for the quick answer. My Zephyr flatpacks showed up today, so I am ready to start my building!

Enjoy! The speakon setup is a breeze too, you will love them. Looking forward to reading your impressions.

post #27 of 36 Old 10-22-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm planning to build to (2) DIYSoundGroup 4 cu ft flat packs with the Dayton 18" HO drivers and trying to finalize banana vs speakon connectors. Never even heard of speakon connectors until I started this project.

Initially I'm going to run both Subs from a Behringer EP4000 in bridged mode.

Does it make sense to go with speakon connectors on the sub cabinet given I'll end up with two wires going into one speakon connection?

Does the smaller hole vs a 3" for the banana connection make a big difference on the sound quality of the cabinet? Meaning a smaller hole would be better.

Complete novice in this area...be gentle. smile.gif

Mario

post #28 of 36 Old 10-22-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Does it make sense to go with speakon connectors on the sub cabinet given I'll end up with two wires going into one speakon connection?

Speakon is superior to banana plug. It has nothing to do with sound quality as both will be the same. It is a much more secure connection that does not have the potential for shorting like banana plugs can if they fall off. Speakons are locking plugs and cannot accidentally get pulled off nor do the connectors wear out from frequent plug/unplug cycles like banana plugs do. There is a reason pro audio equipment use them. I build all my speakers using Speakon connectors. It's also easier to drill one small hole than it is to cut a large round or square hole for the banana connector plates.
post #29 of 36 Old 10-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

Speakon is superior to banana plug. It has nothing to do with sound quality as both will be the same. It is a much more secure connection that does not have the potential for shorting like banana plugs can if they fall off. Speakons are locking plugs and cannot accidentally get pulled off nor do the connectors wear out from frequent plug/unplug cycles like banana plugs do. There is a reason pro audio equipment use them. I build all my speakers using Speakon connectors. It's also easier to drill one small hole than it is to cut a large round or square hole for the banana connector plates.
Actually, my only complaint with Speakon connectors is the 7/8(or is it 15/16) hole required for the jacks. Why couldn't they make them a little larger and allow a 1" hole to be used. Although, PE sells gaskets for Speakon jacks so leaks shouldn't be a concern.

Mike
post #30 of 36 Old 10-22-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Will there be any issues with connecting two 12 gauge cables to a single terminal in the Speakon connection enclosure though due to me running in bridged mode on the amp?

Mario

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page