Idunn build for a Newbie: Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been into car audio off and on for a while (mid 90's) and I'm finally ready for good tunes in the house. I'm a DIY'er in general and want to build my first set of speakers. I choose the Idunn, because I wanted to start out with a kit to make things easier on myself and it just exceeded my inital budget, it was close enough for me to get the green light. I will be building my own cabinets for these.

Idunn:
I planned to buy the "optional excessories package" as well.

The W.A.F. is huge for this build, so I'm limited to a small area for the speakers to go. My available space for each speaker is to the right and left of the TV. I end up with 10" wide x 45" high x 19" deep. I tried to include a picture of the TV area......how do I attach a photo?

Questions:
  1. I will be placing the speakers close to the wall, will I need to move to a sealed design or does the port in front remove that issue?
  2. The speakers will sit on top of the TV stand that is 19" high, what is a good listening height? The primary listening position will be on the couch. I was thinking about adding "false height" to the box to bring the speakers up without stands.
  3. Could I increase any of the box dimensions to bring out more bass? Would this require changes in the X-over? I have no X-over experience. I will add a sub eventually........extended bass is not necessary.

I'm ready to order my kit in the next week or two. I looked at building the ER18DXT by Mark K., but wanted to stick to a kit the first time out. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Technically the port has no relationship with the wall; sealing it just rolls off any near-tune hump that may exist; which may or may not help in relation to the wall.

Increasing box size increases efficiency and excursion yes, but is only really effective if your box is fairly small box to start with.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

Technically the port has no relationship with the wall; sealing it just rolls off any near-tune hump that may exist; which may or may not help in relation to the wall.

Increasing box size increases efficiency and excursion yes, but is only really effective if your box is fairly small box to start with.

I thought that sealed or forward firing port were best for near wall placement. Should I look into a modified x-over for my near-wall placement? Since I haven't ordered yet, maybe Madisound could help me out with that?

Since I'll add a sub later, I'll stick with the designed box dimensions my first time out. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire Jr View Post

I thought that sealed or forward firing port were best for near wall placement.
Only if you can't allow for at least one port diameter between the cab and the wall
Quote:
Should I look into a modified x-over for my near-wall placement?
Does it incorporate BSC? If not there's no need. If so remove those components.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Only if you can't allow for at least one port diameter between the cab and the wall
Does it incorporate BSC? If not there's no need. If so remove those components.

The box is around 10" deep and I have 19" of space to the back wall. Does BSC = baffle step compensation? If so, I'm not sure.......here's a link to the design http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=274&Itemid=248