Stereo Integrity Dual 18" - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 112 Old 03-12-2013, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just build what I'm told. biggrin.gif

I honestly think with all the other airspace that is surrounding, it isn't an issue. Within an inch I would definitely get skeptical.

Thanks and can't wait to see it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 112 Old 03-12-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post

If the enclosure is 24x24x36 with a triple baffle, by my math that only leaves roughly 2" between the back of each driver. Is that enough?

I'm finally able to start on a build I've had had the parts for at least a month and I was considering a similar profile but thought I'd need more space between the back of the magnets/vents.

Looks killer by the way. I may have to entertain a similar grill.

The 5-6" between drivers should be plenty, plus all the airspace around it.
post #93 of 112 Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Delivered!

Work day is gonna drag now.
post #94 of 112 Old 03-13-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Delivered!

Work day is gonna drag now.

AHHHHHHH!!!! GO GET ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.
post #95 of 112 Old 03-13-2013, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like I'll have to wait a few days to get this running. Gotta get more speakons, more polyfil, and I didn't even think about screws. I'm used to Dayton supplying them with the sub.
post #96 of 112 Old 03-14-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Looks like I'll have to wait a few days to get this running. Gotta get more speakons, more polyfil, and I didn't even think about screws. I'm used to Dayton supplying them with the sub.

This guy......wink.gif

Can't wait to hear your impressions.
post #97 of 112 Old 03-14-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybutts View Post

This guy......wink.gif

Can't wait to hear your impressions.

When it takes a hand truck to move your sub around, you know it was done right biggrin.gif

Not seeing screws in the sub box, and forgetting to buy some just in case sank my heart. First thought was "I'm a dumbass".
post #98 of 112 Old 03-15-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Hooked up the sub tonight for a quick demo. Sounds just as good as my Submersive HP did already, but with more "weight" behind the sound. That's impressive.

Can't wait to run this through the music/movie gauntlet tomorrow.
post #99 of 112 Old 03-16-2013, 07:10 AM

Liked: 10
PICTURES!!! biggrin.gif
post #100 of 112 Old 03-16-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg View Post

PICTURES!!! biggrin.gif

Right?
post #101 of 112 Old 03-16-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a quick pic before the UFC fights. Still haven't had the chance to give it a real test.

post #102 of 112 Old 03-16-2013, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Which amp are you using for the sub.....buttkicker or the Behringer?
post #103 of 112 Old 03-16-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey019 View Post

Which amp are you using for the sub.....buttkicker or the Behringer?

EP4000 for the subs bridged, buttkicker for the buttkicker. 4000 watts of LFE love.
post #104 of 112 Old 03-16-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:

EP4000 for the subs bridged, buttkicker for the buttkicker. 4000 watts of LFE love.

Prediction:

GSP will dominate.

Diaz will continue to talk trash after the loss.

post #105 of 112 Old 03-17-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Prediction:

GSP will dominate.

Diaz will continue to talk trash after the loss.

Like clock work...

Diaz Still Trash Talking

post #106 of 112 Old 03-17-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Haha yep. Its easy to throw a punch when the round ends

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
post #107 of 112 Old 03-17-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like I'll need a minidsp or an RCA to TS adapter. Signal is low from RCA to XLR adapter + sub hum.
post #108 of 112 Old 03-17-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Even with XLR adapter issues right now, the bass this thing is putting out is just silly. It is every bit as good as my Submersive was, but the ultra low stuff just seems more prevalent, even at lower volumes. Trinnov did a good job eqing this thing.

Once I get some time, I'll take some measurements with REW to confirm.
post #109 of 112 Old 03-17-2013, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Before buying a minidsp or something similar, ensure that there aren't any issues with the RCA-XLR adapter. I'm not sure what type of voltage your receiver puts out, but you shouldn't automatically assume you'll get more voltage out of the minidsp than you do out of your receiver.
post #110 of 112 Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

Before buying a minidsp or something similar, ensure that there aren't any issues with the RCA-XLR adapter. I'm not sure what type of voltage your receiver puts out, but you shouldn't automatically assume you'll get more voltage out of the minidsp than you do out of your receiver.

I was going to buy the balanced minidsp anyway. It will most likely remove the ground hum, and I wanted it to EQ with. I just seem to be having trouble actually ordering it off the site.

It turns out, it was mostly a connection issue. I'm using wire nuts while I wait on my speakon terminal for the sub, and one became loose. Once fixed, everything picked back up.

I have a Sherwood R-972. After Trinnov calibration, it set the gain on the AVR to -5, with the gain on the EP4000 at max, which isn't bad. I'd probably just have to turn down the EP4000 with a balanced signal to it.

I'm sold on DIY subs, and definitely sold on the SI's. They are the real deal. I would probably max myself out with 4 SI's total in my room, so you guys running 8-16 are my heroes, or you're just nuts. Maybe a little of column A, and a little of column B.
post #111 of 112 Old 03-18-2013, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was going to buy the balanced minidsp anyway. It will most likely remove the ground hum, and I wanted it to EQ with. I just seem to be having trouble actually ordering it off the site.

It turns out, it was mostly a connection issue. I'm using wire nuts while I wait on my speakon terminal for the sub, and one became loose. Once fixed, everything picked back up.

I have a Sherwood R-972. After Trinnov calibration, it set the gain on the AVR to -5, with the gain on the EP4000 at max, which isn't bad. I'd probably just have to turn down the EP4000 with a balanced signal to it.

I'm sold on DIY subs, and definitely sold on the SI's. They are the real deal. I would probably max myself out with 4 SI's total in my room, so you guys running 8-16 are my heroes, or you're just nuts. Maybe a little of column A, and a little of column B.

Might want to experiment with your gain structure my friend. I know beast has a thread going about the optimal way to set your gain. In my past experience, when you set any particular signal in the chain to "max" it will introduce noise.

Have you ever muted your AVR and turned the volume up really loud? At some point you will start to hear a hiss and the hiss will get louder the higher you turn it up. As I understand it, this is attributed to "XYZ" components in your chain effecting the SNR.

Someome correct me if I am wrong, but I believe maxing a signal from any component can also cause said signal to clip. It's a bit early for me to go into anymore technical elaboration or find back up resources, but the bottom-line is that you should experiment to find the sweet spot for each component that will keep the noise (hiss) down.

For instance, my sub chain currently goes AVR to SMS-1 to Amp. I use my SMS-1 to control my sub volume. If I turn my AVR sub level down to -5db and max the output level of my SMS-1 and amp it will introduce noise. However, if I raise my AVR level to 0db and reduce my amp gain and SMS-1 level accordingly, I can achieve the same desired output without maxing any signal in my chain. This has helped me keep signal noise in check. Make sense?

Give it a try.

Note - There is a clear difference between "hiss" and "hum." Both have different solutions, but properly setting your gain structure could yeild positive results to mitigate a small amount of your hum issue as well.

post #112 of 112 Old 03-18-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Might want to experiment with your gain structure my friend. I know beast has a thread going about the optimal way to set your gain. In my past experience, when you set any particular signal in the chain to "max" it will introduce noise.

Have you ever muted your AVR and turned the volume up really loud? At some point you will start to hear a hiss and the hiss will get louder the higher you turn it up. As I understand it, this is attributed to "XYZ" components in your chain effecting the SNR.

Someome correct me if I am wrong, but I believe maxing a signal from any component can also cause said signal to clip. It's a bit early for me to go into anymore technical elaboration or find back up resources, but the bottom-line is that you should experiment to find the sweet spot for each component that will keep the noise (hiss) down.

For instance, my sub chain currently goes AVR to SMS-1 to Amp. I use my SMS-1 to control my sub volume. If I turn my AVR sub level down to -5db and max the output level of my SMS-1 and amp it will introduce noise. However, if I raise my AVR level to 0db and reduce my amp gain and SMS-1 level accordingly, I can achieve the same desired output without maxing any signal in my chain. This has helped me keep signal noise in check. Make sense?

Give it a try.

Note - There is a clear difference between "hiss" and "hum." Both have different solutions, but properly setting your gain structure could yeild positive results to mitigate a small amount of your hum issue as well.

Yeah, its more interference and hum, but not hiss. The minidsp or a cleanbox would fix that, but I'll try lowering the gain on the EP4k.

The problem with my AVR, is that I can't adjust the sub trim after Trinnov is engaged. Sucks, but Trinnov itself beats out XT32, and I thought XT32 was top notch. I'll just have to re-run the calibration until I find a good balance (calculations take 25 minutes every time, so I'm not fond of this route). I'm also going to try RCA to 1/4 TS until I get the minidsp.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page