Can I do anything with a passive subwoofer tube? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I found, but haven't bought yet, an SAS bazooka subwoofer tube. It also has an older jl audio speaker in it. It's passive so I don't know how much that matters, but wondered if it could be use to make a powered subwoofer. Stay away? Would it work and be any good? I know it was for a car but wondered.

looks like this:

Samsung 51" PN51E450A, Polk Tsi300, Polk CS 2 series ii center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Sure, it's possible to make good use of it. Is it ported? If so what is the port diameter and length? What is the cylinder inside diameter not including the port? What is the length of the tube? What size driver can fit the tube?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Sure, it's possible to make good use of it. Is it ported? If so what is the port diameter and length? What is the cylinder inside diameter not including the port? What is the length of the tube? What size driver can fit the tube?

Oh man. I have no idea. It's $13. It has a "hump" on top with a hole so I wonder if that is the port.

See this one? It's not this one but it has that "hump" I was talking about:

http://www.bazooka.com/products/mobile/Passive-Bass-Tubes-Subwoofers-C7/BT-Series-S69/BT1214---BT-Series-12--4-ohm-Passive-Tube-P21

I think the length is about maybe 2.5', looks like 6"+- for the driver end. I think the driver might be 5"?

Here's the website I found the picture at:

http://www.hondaprelude.to/forums/showthread.php?61321-Bazooka-Passive-Bass-tube

or this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bazooka-bass-tube-car-audio-speaker-sas-subwoofer-small-/181064114385?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item2a284320d1

Samsung 51" PN51E450A, Polk Tsi300, Polk CS 2 series ii center.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Yes that would be a port. You would have to give me all of the specific measurements for me to tell you what the enclosure's volume is, and the port tune. Then I could find a driver that works well.

There's always a chance that it is going to be tuned very high (like 50hz) making it nothing more then a woofer tube, not a sub.

post #5 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
wow that brings back memories...I would have never guessed they still made these. They were one of the original "subs in the trunk". Put out a lot of sound for the size/cost but not the tightest bass. I remember mine being pretty impressive for electronic muisic/rap but then the first time I tried a little AC/DC was really disappointed.

If you push it below port tuning, you could blow the driver unless it has some type of built in passive crossover (capacitor in line?).
You might try plugging the port, it would allow it to play lower without driver damage but of course would cut output up higher.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page