Questions on portable sound solution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All ... First posting here, but have browsed from time to time ( especially on the projector forums ).

I saw this article and it really got me excited to try a similar setup: http://www.instructables.com/id/raspbAIRy-the-RaspberryPi-based-Airplay-speaker/

I basically want to do the same thing, but make sure I can get the best sound out of the RaspberryPi that I can. I'm quite confident on the software, wifi, coding aspects of the pi, even the wiring eletrically isn't a big deal, but I'm an audio noob.

I'd like to hear opinions on mono Vs stereo speakers in a small enclosure and also amplifiers that are small enough to fit the project and power a good set of speakers. I'm going to build the enclosure to match your recommendations on speakers, keeping in mind weight and size is a factor here, two smaller ( 4" rounds ) or a single 6x9 maybe? Needs to be fullrange or broadband to cover the spectrum( also unsure about this stuff, please chime in )

The most unknown to me is a small audio amplifier, been looking at small stereo( or mono ) audio amplifiers in the 3 - 10 watt range, as far as loudness goes, should be able to "sound good" in a multiroom downstairs, but will mostly be used in a single room. Link to some of the amps I've seen at mouser electronics here: http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Audio-ICs/Audio-Amplifiers/_/N-4gxtf/

Thanks for any input you can throw my way. Again, don't think this is as much about the raspberry pi as it is about audio in general, so I think it's the right forum.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page