Need amp for JBL GTi MKII - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 113 Old 01-18-2014, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
j1gold16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post

Are you running 1 bridge amp per sub? Because I think it's like 700w per channel.

Yes, I'm running one amp per sub in bridge mode.
j1gold16 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 113 Old 01-18-2014, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
j1gold16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I ran some more tests. First, I moved the 12" sub away from the corner to eliminate any interaction with the port and the wall. That narrowed the playing field. I then stuffed the port hole of the 12" sub to simulate a sealed subwoofer. That significantly limited the output to where I would say the 15" outperformed slightly. So obviously the rear facing port placed in the corner is a large contributing factor in the increased output. I mocked up a design of a ported enclosure in google sketch up and that thing is massive. It's more than double the size of the current enclosure and my wife to be is VERY hesitant to have something that big placed anywhere in the house. She thinks that the 15's I have now sound "nice" and I should just keep them. We're not going for nice here. Maybe I could compromise with a ported enclosure smaller than 9.5 ft^3 net. The next design will also need to incorporate a force field to protect from humans under the age of 4. I'm scared as to what my future kids will do to my equipment. eek.gif
j1gold16 is offline  
post #93 of 113 Old 01-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Member
 
onyxbfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Are you in love with your JBLW15GTI? Or in like, or still on the fence with your JBL W15GTI? I ask because if you are not overly thrilled with them, perhaps we can work something out if you are interested in selling them.
onyxbfly is offline  
post #94 of 113 Old 01-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Antripodean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Antripodes (OZ)
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
JiGold, until you can EQ your subs you have no way of realizing their potential.
j1gold16 likes this.

explore the music
Antripodean is offline  
post #95 of 113 Old 01-27-2014, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
j1gold16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxbfly View Post

Are you in love with your JBLW15GTI? Or in like, or still on the fence with your JBL W15GTI? I ask because if you are not overly thrilled with them, perhaps we can work something out if you are interested in selling them.

It's still up in the air. I need to try EQ and ported to see what difference that makes before I sell them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antripodean View Post

JiGold, until you can EQ your subs you have no way of realizing their potential.

I'm going to try and convince my significant other that a DSP and EQ are necessary. I think I can convince her by telling her my only other option is to build two 10.0 cubic foot boxes for the living room.
j1gold16 is offline  
post #96 of 113 Old 03-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Member
 
onyxbfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Update?
onyxbfly is offline  
post #97 of 113 Old 03-09-2014, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
j1gold16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I swapped out the 15's for two JBL LS120's as I was being nudged to get something smaller. The 15's have been moved to the unfinished basement. When it warms up outside, I'm going to experiment with large ported enclosures for the 4 15's and set up a little man cave for the time being. I'll let you all know my listening impressions.
j1gold16 is offline  
post #98 of 113 Old 03-09-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Why in the world would you even consider two 15" sealed subs in a 7500cuft room? That is obviously not going to give you crap as far as real bass with movies and music! If you are dead set on keeping these sealed enclosures then you need to order a MiniDsp to boost the low end and EQ the response before even posting another word about this setup, otherwise you are severely limiting what you could have achieved if you had done this from the start. If it were me, I would ditch these sealed enclosures and go with a pair of ported enclosures tuned to 18hz to 20hz. That would make a world of difference, so much so that I highly doubt you would even consider going with the 12" JL.

This whole trend towards sealed subs that had been going on for the past year seriously baffles me. In my opinion, the only people who should be using sealed subs are those with the LMS-U or UXL-18's, and no one with a large room! Ported has so many benefits!
Martycool007 is offline  
post #99 of 113 Old 03-09-2014, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
j1gold16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Marty, I learned the hard way. There is a place for sealed enclosures. My room isn't one of those. I'll be porting in the future.
j1gold16 is offline  
post #100 of 113 Old 03-10-2014, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bass addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A padded room
Posts: 4,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

This whole trend towards sealed subs that had been going on for the past year seriously baffles me. In my opinion, the only people who should be using sealed subs are those with the LMS-U or UXL-18's, and no one with a large room! Ported has so many benefits!

Marty, no offense but I feel that statement is a little bit narrow minded. I'm not running either of those 2 drivers and neither are a lot of other guys running sealed setups. They each have their place depending on what the listener is trying to achieve. This are the type of "blanket statements" that cause a lot of misdirection on this forum. wink.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

bass addict is offline  
post #101 of 113 Old 03-11-2014, 03:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 16,852
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
this might be of interest. dual w15gti. ported. stealth build.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/46907-dual-jbl-w15gtis-10cu-ft-ea-13hz.html

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is offline  
post #102 of 113 Old 03-11-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Marty, no offense but I feel that statement is a little bit narrow minded. I'm not running either of those 2 drivers and neither are a lot of other guys running sealed setups. They each have their place depending on what the listener is trying to achieve. This are the type of "blanket statements" that cause a lot of misdirection on this forum. wink.gif

Yes, perhaps a blanket statement like this isn't quite the thought that I was trying to convey! Sealed enclosures have their place, but, in the grand scheme of things, I have found that unless you have an ubber driver and/or an ubber amp, you will gain so much more with a vented enclosure compared to a sealed enclosure. Now granted, if space is a concern, and if you have the ability to throw enough power and EQ into x or y sealed subwoofer(s) then sure, you will likely be perfectly happy with it, and will have a nice deep extension sub(s). It has just been my experience that when seeing some of my friends whom have been running smaller sealed subwoofer setups, go from that, to a ported enclosure, they seem to be blown away by the difference in SQ. I mean, when is the last time you heard someone go from a vented enclosure to a sealed enclosure and the response from the person be like; "oh hot damn! These new sealed subs are wiping the floor with my old ported subs!". LoL!
Martycool007 is offline  
post #103 of 113 Old 03-11-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bass addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: A padded room
Posts: 4,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

they seem to be blown away by the difference in SQ.

I've never noticed a difference in SQ between my ported and sealed sub builds. Must be me.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

bass addict is offline  
post #104 of 113 Old 03-12-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I've never noticed a difference in SQ between my ported and sealed sub builds. Must be me.

Perhaps SQ was the wrong word for the intent of my comment. What I should have said, was that ported subs tend to be more tactical, and have greater output around the tuning frequency, and seem to thump harder in that range as well. There have been some threads recently where folks have gone from sealed to ported and are talking about how blown away they are with the vented enclosures using the same drivers and room.
Martycool007 is offline  
post #105 of 113 Old 05-02-2014, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
j1gold16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Finished with box 1 of 2. 9 cubic ft tuned to 18 hz. Fired it up with about 1500 watts going to the pair. Night and day difference. These rumble like crazy and sound amazing doing it. Smiles all around. I can't wait to finish the second box.


j1gold16 is offline  
post #106 of 113 Old 05-04-2014, 07:27 AM
Member
 
onyxbfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Welcome back. I'm glad you found a workable solution that you love as opposed to being in like. Part of me was hoping that you may decide to go in a different direction and offer the GTIs for sale. But I am enthusiastic for you nonetheless!!!!! Let me get this straight you are planning on completing a second identical box. LOL Soon those smiles will be turned into frowns from your neighbors!!
onyxbfly is offline  
post #107 of 113 Old 05-05-2014, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
j1gold16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxbfly View Post

Welcome back. I'm glad you found a workable solution that you love as opposed to being in like. Part of me was hoping that you may decide to go in a different direction and offer the GTIs for sale. But I am enthusiastic for you nonetheless!!!!! Let me get this straight you are planning on completing a second identical box. LOL Soon those smiles will be turned into frowns from your neighbors!!

Yep, I'll be building a second one. I'm going to wait until I have help on the second one as the enclosure consists of two sheets if MDF per and is rather heavy to move around while working on it.

Sorry that I love them now. If you do decide to get some, definitely go ported. With one third the power, they are noticeably louder.
j1gold16 is offline  
post #108 of 113 Old 05-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Member
 
onyxbfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gold16 View Post

Yep, I'll be building a second one. I'm going to wait until I have help on the second one as the enclosure consists of two sheets if MDF per and is rather heavy to move around while working on it.

Sorry that I love them now. If you do decide to get some, definitely go ported. With one third the power, they are noticeably louder.

I have two. They are sealed in 4.0 cubic cabs. They will rock the house and my neighbors house. Before you ask, yes I want two more wink.gifbiggrin.gif
onyxbfly is offline  
post #109 of 113 Old 05-20-2014, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
j1gold16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Got one of the boxes setup in the "man cave". I bought a Marantz SR7007 on close out to compliment the system. First of all, the step up from the SR6006 is amazing. I love this receiver.

The subs are so powerful yet so musical. I am so glad I went ported. To think that this is box 1 of 2 is astonishing. I'd honestly be happy with one but since I have the wood cut for the second box, I may as well assemble it.

j1gold16 is offline  
post #110 of 113 Old 05-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Member
 
onyxbfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1gold16 View Post

Got one of the boxes setup in the "man cave". I bought a Marantz SR7007 on close out to compliment the system. First of all, the step up from the SR6006 is amazing. I love this receiver.

The subs are so powerful yet so musical. I am so glad I went ported. To think that this is box 1 of 2 is astonishing. I'd honestly be happy with one but since I have the wood cut for the second box, I may as well assemble it.


Bass is bass. Sealed subs require more power. Ported subs require less. The benefit of going ported is that you can tune your sub and they can be smaller. I see that you have some crown amps there. Were they not powerful enough to push them when they were sealed. I'm still trying to secure 2 more. I was either thinking of going quad with one in each corner or dual in one enclosure the way you have them. Great job on the build they do look menacing and I know from experience that they can be!!! Enjoy!!!!
onyxbfly is offline  
post #111 of 113 Old 05-22-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
j1gold16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxbfly View Post

Bass is bass. Sealed subs require more power. Ported subs require less. The benefit of going ported is that you can tune your sub and they can be smaller. I see that you have some crown amps there. Were they not powerful enough to push them when they were sealed. I'm still trying to secure 2 more. I was either thinking of going quad with one in each corner or dual in one enclosure the way you have them. Great job on the build they do look menacing and I know from experience that they can be!!! Enjoy!!!!

Sealed subs do require more power but in a large room they also require EQ. Ported requires a bigger enclosure and depending on the speaker used it can sound terrible. For example, I've experienced incredibly boomy bass from Kicker and MTX when put in ported enclosures. As far as going with 2 or 4 enclosures, 4 is ideal but in my situation they would get in the way with my room layout so I chose 2. Even with only 1 enclosure setup the bass is pretty evenly dispersed. When I had the sub up in my living room there were a ton of dead areas.
j1gold16 is offline  
post #112 of 113 Old 05-23-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Martycool007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,692
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxbfly View Post

Bass is bass. Sealed subs require more power. Ported subs require less. The benefit of going ported is that you can tune your sub and they can be smaller. I see that you have some crown amps there. Were they not powerful enough to push them when they were sealed. I'm still trying to secure 2 more. I was either thinking of going quad with one in each corner or dual in one enclosure the way you have them. Great job on the build they do look menacing and I know from experience that they can be!!! Enjoy!!!!

Actually, you have that backwards as sealed subs are normally smaller than ported subs. Ported subs also have the advantage of having much higher output at the tuning frequency, often as much as 9db or more once you factor in room gain! Sealed subs roll off way earlier and often require something like a LT to extend the response lower along with additional EQ to help the overall response.

Bass is not bass, at least in my opinion. I feel that ported subs sound different, even when playing the same frequency with the same output. There are no measurements to verify this, but, I am not the only one that has experienced this observation. smile.gif
Martycool007 is offline  
post #113 of 113 Old 05-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Member
 
onyxbfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Actually, you have that backwards as sealed subs are normally smaller than ported subs. Ported subs also have the advantage of having much higher output at the tuning frequency, often as much as 9db or more once you factor in room gain! Sealed subs roll off way earlier and often require something like a LT to extend the response lower along with additional EQ to help the overall response.

Bass is not bass, at least in my opinion. I feel that ported subs sound different, even when playing the same frequency with the same output. There are no measurements to verify this, but, I am not the only one that has experienced this observation. smile.gif

I stand corrected. Anyday that you can learn something new is a good day indeed!
onyxbfly is offline  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off