Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 01-27-2013, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Guys,

With the recent explosion in SEOS builds, I thought it would be cool to have one thread with pictures from each of our builds. This will help Erich as well as new DIYers who may be interested in a similar build. I was thinking of including the following, along with a few pictures of your build. This is not intended to be a build thread, but a summary of your build and you can include a link to your full build as well.

Design Name (Ex. Fusion-10) if applicable or 'custom'
Designer / help shout out
Drivers Used (Drivers and waveguide)
Cabinet Construction and finish
Link to your build thread
Notes/Summary
Cost to build
Pictures as relevant to the finished product

If there is anything else you guys would like to see included, I'm all ears. biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-27-2013, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will start of course:

Name: Sentinel aka Fusion-15
Designer: MTG90, Matt Grant
Components: B&C 15" 15PS76 woof, DNA360 compression driver, Glossy SEOS12 waveguide, Jantzen large AWG inductors
Cabinet construction: I chose to build my own encloure in lieu of using a flat pack kit. I did use the baffle from the Sentinel package from Erich though which saved an enormous amount of time. 3/4 MDF all around, double baffle up front, inside lined with polyester batting, triple horizontal bracing, vertical bracing, 2x15x10.5 slot port, Duratex paint
Build thread: Here
Cost to build: ~500 per speaker including duratex, black oxide screws, polyester batting, speakon terminals, speaker frame materials, frame cloth, magnets, connectors and crossover hardware.
Notes/Summary: These provide the clarity and precise imaging you would come to expect from the SEOS lineup, but they can also play LOUD! Midbass is incredible and better than a lot of the smaller subs that have been in my room. Full range capable, great dynamics, high power handling, great sensitivity.
Pics!!

post #3 of 23 Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 482
How about having people (yourself included of course smile.gif) include how much it cost per speaker to build, including everything?

Kevin told me he spend 300 something per speaker with his build, truly amazing what you can get for not much money.

post #4 of 23 Old 01-27-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

How about having people (yourself included of course smile.gif) include how much it cost per speaker to build, including everything?

Kevin told me he spend 300 something per speaker with his build, truly amazing what you can get for not much money.

Great idea! I added my info in my post and the original post as well.

Mine were about 500-515 per speaker including: Wire, MDF for cabinet and bracing, duratex paint, grill frame materials, grill cloth, magnets for grill, speakon connectors, black oxide screws, sandpaper, glue, drywall filler, latex black primer, polyfill batting, nails, speaker gasket, and crossover connectors and hardware. A few of the things I already had (filler, sandpaper, etc) but I included them anyway just to include everything. I'm usually pretty thorough in my estimates. smile.gif

Obviously one could do it a bit cheaper or a lot more expensive depending on the finish/paint options. tongue.gif Mine are on the higher end of the DIYsoundgroup price spectrum but I don't believe there is anything in the commercial world that will compare to these for even twice what I spent.

post #5 of 23 Old 01-27-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 564
I think the cost is going to vary too much to worry about. Some guys will already have sandpaper and things like that, so they might not have to spend $100 more than the kit to start cranking them up. Or they might not use Duratex or Speakon connectors and things like that.

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #6 of 23 Old 01-27-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Awesome looking Gorilla!

Get something under that center to angle it up though

http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=34231&gclid=COrw5dy2ibUCFYl7Qgode1MAnA

post #7 of 23 Old 01-27-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post

Awesome looking Gorllia!

Get something under that center to angle it up though

http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=34231&gclid=COrw5dy2ibUCFYl7Qgode1MAnA

Already working on it. smile.gif I can easily make something like that with my table saw in about 5 minutes heh. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I think the cost is going to vary too much to worry about. Some guys will already have sandpaper and things like that, so they might not have to spend $100 more than the kit to start cranking them up. Or they might not use Duratex or Speakon connectors and things like that.

Agreed but I think it's still cool to see how different options will drive the cost up or down. Mine are pretty much trimmed out with magnetic grills (still to be finished), duratex, and speakons so they will be a bit pricier but still very much a bargain IMO.

post #8 of 23 Old 01-27-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Already working on it. smile.gif I can easily make something like that with my table saw in about 5 minutes heh. smile.gif

Just make sure you use some kind of rubber/foam mat to isolate the wedge so it doesn't rattle when your subs hit.

post #9 of 23 Old 01-27-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just make sure you use some kind of rubber/foam mat to isolate the wedge so it doesn't rattle when your subs hit.

Not a bad idea, thanks. I have plenty of thin rubber mat / drawer liner I could lay on top of the wedge.

post #10 of 23 Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Are those SHO-10's in the background? How do your new speakers compare?

post #11 of 23 Old 01-27-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 250

I think I have all the SEOS builds posted here, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334432/master-index-of-diy-speaker-projects/0_100

may have missed a couple, not sure...

post #12 of 23 Old 01-27-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

I think I have all the SEOS builds posted here, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334432/master-index-of-diy-speaker-projects/0_100

may have missed a couple, not sure...

you missed mine
Should start building this week when the first set of flatpacks show up

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452617/full-diy-ht-replacement-seos-tempests-seos-fusion-10s-dayton-18s/0_100#post_22845202

post #13 of 23 Old 01-27-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I didn't add yours because nothing was built yet tongue.gif

post #14 of 23 Old 01-27-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

True, but if they are specific and mention what all they had to buy and what they already had on hand it would be helpful to those thinking about building IMO.

post #15 of 23 Old 01-27-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I plan to build three sealed SEOS kits and have been making a list the past couple of weeks, so far this is what I have come up with...

I do have some supplies left over from my sub build that I will use. This time I'm going to skip the screws and use some DIY Bar clamps that I will make out of threaded rods and 2x4s. I'm looking at about $1000 to have 3 completed SEOS speakers.

post #16 of 23 Old 01-28-2013, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are those SHO-10's in the background? How do your new speakers compare?

Yes, they are SHO-10s. I've only listened to the new speaks for a few hours so far, but here are my thoughts:

The SHOs provide a much wider soundstage than you would think by looking at their relatively small size. They are also amazing detailed for such inexpensive components. They play louder than most will need them to, even powered from a receiver. Still by far my favorite completed speaker (non DIY) under 500.00. Heck maybe even under 1000? They do require subwoofers to be paired with them though.

The Tempests are just as detailed, play a bit louder, and have substantially more extension and midbass impact. They will also handle a bundle of power! They seem to even play a bit more clearly which is likely due to the directivity design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

I plan to build three sealed SEOS kits and have been making a list the past couple of weeks, so far this is what I have come up with...

I do have some supplies left over from my sub build that I will use. This time I'm going to skip the screws and use some DIY Bar clamps that I will make out of threaded rods and 2x4s. I'm looking at about $1000 to have 3 completed SEOS speakers.

That seems fairly accurate to me. I have a similar spreadsheet but luckily already owned all of the tools I needed except for a top bearing flush trim bit which I used to trim the inner baffle flush to the CNC'd outer baffle.

post #17 of 23 Old 01-28-2013, 05:26 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
I'm curious, how different is the sound of the SHO-10 vs. the SEOS. Namely, would they blend in a 7.1 setup with a bit of EQ?

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
post #18 of 23 Old 01-28-2013, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I'm curious, how different is the sound of the SHO-10 vs. the SEOS. Namely, would they blend in a 7.1 setup with a bit of EQ?

Heck, I'm running my SEOS setup up front with Deftech BPX Bipolars for surrounds right now and they sound great to me. I'm sure the SHO-10s would be even better as surrounds. Actually, I may try that one night this week. biggrin.gif The only thing that has prevented me from doing so far that is having to sit through the Audyssey procedure again, haha.

post #19 of 23 Old 01-28-2013, 05:43 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
That's going to be big, in and of itself. The extra efficiency of the SHO vs. the DefTech means your AVR will have considerably more headroom to play surround effects - you gain 7db efficiency which should be enough to allow the surrounds to exceed THX spec with the AVRs built-in amps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Heck, I'm running my SEOS setup up front with Deftech BPX Bipolars for surrounds right now and they sound great to me. I'm sure the SHO-10s would be even better as surrounds. Actually, I may try that one night this week. biggrin.gif The only thing that has prevented me from doing so far that is having to sit through the Audyssey procedure again, haha.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
post #20 of 23 Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Here are mine:

Design Name: None
Designer / help shout out: Bwaslo for the crossover design and Robotbunny for ideas
Drivers Used: AE Speakers TD12M, DNA-360 with SEOS-12
Cabinet Construction and finish: I modified one of Erich's flat packs. I re-worked the vertical brace and added a slot port.
Link to your build thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1433151/my-td12m-seos-12-build
Notes/Summary: These speakers are smooth and clean. With my old JTR T8's I was pushing it, when listening at reference level. With these speakers, I have to watch out, because I am tempted to turn it up louder than reference.
Cost to build: Did not keep up with the costs, I already had the tools, sand paper, primer, paint, wire and insulation. Just had to buy cabinets and drivers.
Pictures:

Here is what the front stage looks like:

The speakers are behind the curved AT screen.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #21 of 23 Old 01-28-2013, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 47
That's interesting, choosing the SEOS over JTR Trip 8's. How do they sound, comparatively? You also state there is no design name, but it looks very similar to the Fusion-15.

If one is going to make a simplistic assessment of the value of different alignments, it would be that sealed/IB goes the lowest, at the highest cost per dB; horns have the lowest cost per dB at the expense of size, and vented box characteristics lie in between the other two. None is inherently superior across the board, neither is any inherently inferior across the board. The one to use is the one that fits your response and output needs, available space and bank account. -BFM
post #22 of 23 Old 01-28-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jindrak View Post

That's interesting, choosing the SEOS over JTR Trip 8's. How do they sound, comparatively? You also state there is no design name, but it looks very similar to the Fusion-15.

Mine were built before there was a fusion-15. smile.gif Every SEOS 2-way with a slot port is going to look about the same. The difference is going to be the size of the enclosure, Size and depth of the port, drivers and waveguide used and the crossover design. Those are going to be the differences with every SEOS build. I picked the TD12M driver because it could be used in a small ported box. The exterior of my boxes is 26" x 14.5" x 10.75".

As to the sound, my DIY SEOS design is a little smoother, less harsh when pushed hard. So clean that you want to turn them up louder.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #23 of 23 Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Here are mine:

Design Name: None
Designer / help shout out: Bwaslo for the crossover design and Robotbunny for ideas
Drivers Used: AE Speakers TD12M, DNA-360 with SEOS-12
Cabinet Construction and finish: I modified one of Erich's flat packs. I re-worked the vertical brace and added a slot port.
Link to your build thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1433151/my-td12m-seos-12-build
Notes/Summary: These speakers are smooth and clean. With my old JTR T8's I was pushing it, when listening at reference level. With these speakers, I have to watch out, because I am tempted to turn it up louder than reference.
Cost to build: Did not keep up with the costs, I already had the tools, sand paper, primer, paint, wire and insulation. Just had to buy cabinets and drivers.

The speakers are behind the curved AT screen.

Mike - thanks for posting. They look amazing and I'm sure they sound the same. Got to love the look of the slot ports! In my case it was also quite necessary as I didn't have the vertical space needed with the round ports anyway.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page