diy bass for live music outside - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So my gf's dad is giving us 2 jeep bodies to pull apart for our own wrangler, and he won't accept any money. He had his own jeep project going and had to have back surgery, so he won't be able to drive one. He owns a piece of land in the mountains and has like 2 wild parties a year with live music and dj type of stuff. Back story over...

He has a decent setup of amps and those speakers you see dj's use like this:

Photobucket

Not these exact ones, the pic is just to give you an idea, I'm not sure what they are but they're loud outside, loud enough that someone called the cops living a mile away tongue.gif (he paid quite a bit for the setup and the mountains don't help with the echo).

Problem is he doesn't have any bass with these loudspeakers, so we were gonna surprise him with some bass for forcing us to take two jeeps for free smile.gif
All I know about is home theater, so the first thing that comes to mind is "bass bins", which I believe is smaller horns with a tune around 30hz. We have an f20 lingering in the living room and we know what they are capable of on the low end. I'd like to build a pair of them but google isn't helping me. Does anyone know of some horns for live music that can get really loud? I don't need audiophile bass, just loud as hell (outside) at 30hz and above. I'm thinking of powering the pair with an ep4000 because it has the hpf at 30 hz which is pretty convenient, with a pretty low budget of $700 for the drivers and amp.

Caution, party videos may be included when the snow melts, northern rednecks included.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-27-2013, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
http://www.billfitzmaurice.net/
post #3 of 17 Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Oh damn didn't know bill did pro sound too, any recommendations on which build I should go for, like which plans should I buy for the most outdoor spl for my budget?
post #4 of 17 Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

I would like to go with 2 enclosures with an ep4000 (doesn't have to be ep4000) amp and drivers for under 700us, as loud as possible outdoors.

Edit: and no offense to bill, just some criticism, but I don't like how I can't see what drivers I'll be using before I buy the plans, so once someone recomends some plans can you give me the driver selection, I'm kind of biased toward dayton.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 101
If you join Bill's forum you can find out everything you want to know before you buy any p[ans. Most of the time drivers are pretty cheap also. You could go with a T-48" with a single 12". But there are other horned subs out there as well.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yup I was looking at the titan 48, wanna go all out. I'm going to hit up the bfm forums tomorrow and take a look at the driver selections. I'm pretty sure he has commented on some questions of mine before on stuff unrelated to bfm (lilmike) so I like that he's not too "brand sensitive".
post #7 of 17 Old 01-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Four of these in standard vented cabinets are going to sound better and be easier to build than any of those horns you're looking at:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=299-420

And don't be misled by Celestion's small Xmax numbers - they use a formula that is more conservative than other manufacturers. I would do two cabinets with two drivers in each, with big ports. You'll have plenty more output than your 15" 2-ways will be able to muster.

-Mike Bentz
~It's all about compromise~
post #8 of 17 Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodoobutter View Post

Oh damn didn't know bill did pro sound too, any recommendations on which build I should go for, like which plans should I buy for the most outdoor spl for my budget?
Ask on my forum. You can go anywhere from covering the backyard to doing what these guys do with T60s and DR280s:

https://www.facebook.com/dancetronauts?ref=ts
Quote:
I'm kind of biased toward dayton.
Dayton doesn't make drivers.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks bill, I just registered and am waiting on the confirmation. I'll start soaking in some info on the t60's on your forums while I wait :thumbsup:
post #10 of 17 Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBentz View Post

Four of these in standard vented cabinets are going to sound better and be easier to build than any of those horns you're looking at:

And don't be misled by Celestion's small Xmax numbers - they use a formula that is more conservative than other manufacturers. I would do two cabinets with two drivers in each, with big ports. You'll have plenty more output than your 15" 2-ways will be able to muster.

I'll keep that in mind, I'll model it and see how it looks. Could probably get enough power out of an ep4000 if I wire each enclosure for 4ohms
post #11 of 17 Old 01-28-2013, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Actually it looks like the t48 may work better, since I was planning on using a the built in hpf of 30hz on an ep4000. And I'll get more output above 32hz. I'll keep reading...
post #12 of 17 Old 01-29-2013, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Ask on my forum. You can go anywhere from covering the backyard to doing what these guys do with T60s and DR280s:

I was wondering what those guys were using. Their sound trailer was shaking the whole valley at San Diego decom. smile.gif

-Max
post #13 of 17 Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper View Post

I was wondering what those guys were using. Their sound trailer was shaking the whole valley at San Diego decom. smile.gif

-Max
You can't tell from that pic, but they have eight T60 center clustered and six Impero 12 loaded DR280 per side, enough for at least 10,000 outdoors.

post #14 of 17 Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBentz View Post

Wow, what a deal! +1 eek.gif

A lot of value packed into what you're suggesting. Two vented dual 18's, would be quite easy to build, andoffer up some kick-ass bass to match whatever pro two way he's got.Well integrated, the built in HP filters of the EP could likely handle the excursion protection, .. but never used them that way so I don't know directly.

Bill's stuff is nice as well, but I'd prefer the simple, vented box. If I needed a full range rig, ... tops and bottoms, I'd moreso look into Bill's offerings.

Either way, you'll be fine.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #15 of 17 Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

I do really like that deal, and the simplicity of making a couple of slot ported boxes instead of a horn. The only problem is I would need 2 ep4000's or something equivalent which kind of ruins the value for me and sends me over budget. I'm pretty sure I'm going to build two of bfm's titan 48's, I'm gonna buy the plans as soon as I find a good deal on an amp because the ep1500 I found for $100 isn't going to cut it.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-30-2013, 04:41 PM

Liked: 10
I think you are on the right track for your project with the T48s. One thing to keep in mind for "backyard" or portable, or using anyplace you don't have control over the electrical distribution is that with inefficient amps you'll start blowing breakers or sucking diesel really quick. "Power is cheap" is a mantra for home audio because the difference between 250W and 500W of consumption isn't a big deal in your living room. But when you are 200ft from someone's house and all you have are a string of 14ga extension cords leading to their one exterior 15A outlet you'll be sad if your speakers and amps aren't sufficiently efficient. Trying to power those two EP4000s from random outlets and home generators would be a bummer.

-Sam

PS The dancetronauts do have a pretty badass system - didn't realize when I first heard it that it was all BFM gear! Bill seems to have quite the showing in the Burning Man community... Fits with our strong DIY ethic, and love of enormous sound. wink.gif
post #17 of 17 Old 01-30-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phidauex View Post

PS The dancetronauts do have a pretty badass system - didn't realize when I first heard it that it was all BFM gear!
Only since October. They've had the T60s for over a year, based on how well they worked they went to the DR280s for mains, being tired of replacing drivers on a weekly basis.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page