Sealed vs what I already have... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently I have a 111L vented enclosure for a 10" Phoenix Gold R3 sub tuned to 21 Hz . Basically it was my 1st build, lessons learned and ready to move on and play with something else. I have a sealed enclosure ready to go minus the sub cutout(s) and some bracing. I want to replace a small stand that sits below the TV with this enclosure, kinda of a custom look, since all my components sit in a separate room and this stand use to house them. I can remove the current sub and buy an identical one and run dual sealed, or keep the vented for something else and go with a set of 12" subs, not necessarily phoenix gold. The sealed box is limited to 67.5 liters, or 33.8 liters for each sub if two were used. Here is what I have modeled so far, blue is the current vented, the yellow is a single 10" in a 33.8L enclosure, red a single 12" in a 33.8l enclosure. I will be using a Crown XLS 1000 to drive them. Not ever having a sealed, would there be a gain going to dual sealed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
It appears to me there would be a loss to go from a ported 10" to a sealed. Your spl levels would drop pretty dramatically between 20 and 50 Hz it seems.

I can't really speak on the sound quality of the sub's in question and how it would differ between sealed or ported. But I can say that you will most likely prefer your ported setup compared to the sealed, going off your graphs alone.

post #3 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Usually sealed setups are for the ULF junkies who use a minimum of 15" subs. Personally I use 4x12" sealed and get some ULF, but not a ton. You already have the enclosure, so I'd go sealed because it'll be to small for most ported designs. Or go with a single 12" in that box and port it.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

Usually sealed setups are for the ULF junkies who use a minimum of 15" subs. Personally I use 4x12" sealed and get some ULF, but not a ton. You already have the enclosure, so I'd go sealed because it'll be to small for most ported designs. Or go with a single 12" in that box and port it.

Yes, around here four 12" is called midrange biggrin.gif If you want to stay with the same driver, look at a minimum of two (really look into 4 or more.) Most rooms will boost output below 50-60hz.

JP
post #5 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I have considered doing an IB through the wall into the adjacent laundry room, but for now here is the space and will keep the better half a little happier than some crazy through the wall setup. Pretty huge, the main problem is when the vented enclosure was on, the hallway was significantly louder than the living area . I have no way to place it other than were it sits and that is not ideal since it is partially in front of the AC return. That is were the idea for the small sealed setup under the TV. See the situation.

post #6 of 10 Old 01-30-2013, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Your problem is space and placement as much as the size of the driver. Consider placements under or behind the couch or disguised as an end table or coffee table. Multiple examples can be found around the web. Consider a side firing dual-opposed for under the TC, since you don't want the screen jumping around with the bass.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
How about a sonotube? Those have a great footprint while allowiing you to build as big an internal volume as you need.

post #8 of 10 Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Or with a similar footprint and height you could build one the Bill Fitmaurice's THT LPs . It would be tall but have more extension than your 10 and have the output equal to several of them...and it's cheap!

post #9 of 10 Old 02-01-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

After playing around, what about taking something like this woofer and applying a Linkwitz Transform (LT) filter with a miniDSP? I am not familiar with the compatibility. After applying the filter in WinISD and lower the signal down to 200w, I get the following. Not applying the filter that configuration can handle 4k watts. These are 12" subs that have 30mm Xmax.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-02-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 851
nothing wrong with using an l/t or a shelf filter on a sealed enclosure.

with room gain, you probably would not need the full ~12db of boost that is shown.

Listen. It's All Good.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page